3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P0514 Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P0514 Again!!!

My CEL is on again and I have one code (P0514 again) for what ever reason. Does anyone know why this code keeps showing up? Does it have to do with anything I have hooked up to the battery accessory wise? I have a wire hooked up to the drivers side positive+ battery post for my SurePower battery separator (for charging my camper batteries). I have not even had the camper on yet so the battery separator has never been used yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
do a search.

its a battery temp thing.

there is a TSB for it.

no worries, just take it in, have the following done:
TSB to enable high idle.
TSB for P0514
TSB to correct overhead reading -40 sometimes.

there are few more that the 06's need, but i forget right now.

that P0514 is pesky....
Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
do a search.

its a battery temp thing.

there is a TSB for it.

no worries, just take it in, have the following done:
TSB to enable high idle.
TSB for P0514
TSB to correct overhead reading -40 sometimes.

there are few more that the 06's need, but i forget right now.

that P0514 is pesky....
I understand that it is a battery temp thing but my question is why is it happening?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:00 PM

my understanding is that it is a "rationality" check,

in other words, the MAP, the IAT, and the overhead console, and the battery temps all get read & averaged, and if the battery temp is outside the rational range, it throws a code.

a CTD mechanic posted something along that lines - search for "rational" might get you the direct quote.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:21 PM

This code has been a problem since the beginning on these 3rd gens been getting it for three years now on my truck off and on when it gets cold out. Been to the dealers for it they wont to keep the truck overnight possibly a few to do cold starts forget it it will go away couple of days
Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM

it happens when there is a good temp difference. example 30 degrees when shut truck off 60 when started back up CEL light came on took to dealer had reflash done and has not happened since
Old 02-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
My CEL is on again and I have one code (P0514 again) for what ever reason. Does anyone know why this code keeps showing up? Does it have to do with anything I have hooked up to the battery accessory wise? I have a wire hooked up to the drivers side positive+ battery post for my SurePower battery separator (for charging my camper batteries). I have not even had the camper on yet so the battery separator has never been used yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mine did that when it was 0* and I left the block heater plugged in "all weekend" ...like the battery on the pass side (blockhater side) was warmer than the driver side... that was the only time it ever did it... my engine compartment is spotless so...I don't have a dirty sensor........
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 AM

I have an appointment with the dealer tomarrow and I bet they will be shrugging their shoulders and saying "they don't now why it came on but we cleared the code for ya". I left the dealership today after making my appointment for tomarrow and wouldn't you know it the CEL went off, code is still there though.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I have an appointment with the dealer tomarrow and I bet they will be shrugging their shoulders and saying "they don't now why it came on but we cleared the code for ya". I left the dealership today after making my appointment for tomarrow and wouldn't you know it the CEL went off, code is still there though.
There's a TSB for it. Get the reflash and be done with that problem.

When they do reflash, make sure you have them re-enable your high idle and whatever other optional changes you had done.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Anyone know if I have this flash done TSB 18-022-06 will I get the annoying out of park honk.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM

if you have any TSB's done, they will pretty much insist that they have to do the Honk/Reverse TSB, if you are adamant and appeal to them, you might can talk them out of it.

saw a few posts in other threads where folks talked them out of doing it.

Thunder - the TSB will make it go away.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have stated , methinks mine started after a long, block heater plug in.
Had the code cleared twice...now I don't even care if it is there.
It does not trigger the CEL...it just shows if I do the code check.
I ignore it and keep forgetting to get the TSB done.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by HOV
There's a TSB for it. Get the reflash and be done with that problem.

When they do reflash, make sure you have them re-enable your high idle and whatever other optional changes you had done.
Got the reflash done within a day or two of this original post date and have not had any problems until this morning. CEL came on and guess who showed up? (P0514) PITA I have been to the dealer more in the first year of ownership of this truck than I every did with my 2002 Powerstroke. In fact I only took my Ford in for a clutch problem (slave cylinder failure) and a stereo replacement. I hope I did not make a mistake in trading my ol' Ford in for a Dodge. I'm already getting a rash of spit from my friends and family who are die hard Ford fans.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Ive been getting this code since my truck was new. Ive had it to two dealers before the tsb one blamed it on MOPAR winter front. Now I just ignore it when it comes on.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 AM

It is a bummer, but I have lived with it for 3 years as I don't want my trcuk reflashed for anything. It doesn't come on a lot, but it does come on. I agree with others as it mainly comes on in my truck if I use the block heater.

Quick Reply: P0514 Again!!!