3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Report says Coolant Leak Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Report says Coolant Leak Maybe

I just did an oil sample report with Blackstone Labs, first one I've done on this truck. It came back fine except for increased levels of Potassium and Sodium, with readings of 20 vs 5 and 16 vs 5, respectively. That's over a 2500 mile interval that lasted almost nine months -- the truck doesn't get a ton of use when I'm not traveling; I ride a motorcycle a lot.

FWIW, I thought I had maybe seen my coolant level change from time to time (in the reservoir) and would add some to it. I did a coolant flush just over a year ago, and it got another one two months ago after body damage required a new radiator, so we know it's completely full and the res. is at the proper level.

I'm due to head out on a trip in the next month or so, so I'll start keeping a very close eye on it and plan to do another sample analysis after 5000 miles.

But... in the interest of planning ahead, what's the most likely culprit? Head gasket? I've been running it on the 130 hp mode of my Smarty since 2008, but boost has never exceeded stock (30-ish PSI). I do drop it down to the 90 hp mode when towing, as it makes EGTs much easier to deal with.

I'm guessing a head gasket job on this motor shouldn't be all that difficult, given there's no cam up top to fool with. Other than the bolts under the cowl, that is. The truck's a keeper, so whatever I have to do to get it right, I'll do it. Also wondering if I should O-ring it while it's apart in case I want to turn the wick up a bit more later.

Thanks for any input.

Rob
Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think you have a problem........just drive it.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just recd my oil analysis back from them....it too showed high Sodium and was also described as potential coolant leak. I flushed mine about a year ago and don't belive it's leaked or needed any added. Hmmmm....makes me wonder.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 with coolant report from Blackstone

I recently received a report from Blackstone labs informing me I have indications of coolant in my oil. What is interesting is this coolant problem seems to come and go. I have had 6 samples analyzed and the latest one indicates 77 ppm which is the highest it ever has been. I noticed there was a spray of rusty substance on the underside of the hood on which appears to have come from the engine as it is located at the front of the cylinder head on the right side. I do not see any evidence of a leak but it may be because of the exhaust manifold on that side of the engine and the manifold in itself is rusty. I have noticed a slight drop in the coolant level of the overflow tank which must be going somewhere. Other than the head gasket is there any other potential place coolant could be leaking into the oil. Of course a hairline crack in the block is a possibility, but hoping this is not the case.

L8r,.................dogger