3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Pan Rust Thru

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[

I think that if the pan is seeping that the only fix would be to replace it.

Jim[/QUOTE]

Or as the mad hat Gunny said, try welding on a patch. That also makes sense to me if you know a welder with a wire machine.

Jim
Old 06-01-2012, 10:57 AM

The JB weld is still holding but the new pan is ordered. I spoke to several mechanics and the answer was it is hard to get a good weld without taking it off. Also what about the other spots, how thin are they? I am trying to determine if I can drop the pan, remove the sip tube and wiggle the pan out.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:36 PM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://scheiddiesel.com/display_part/650.php

Just for laughs, check the above link...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 PM

I checked on that pan but they say it is not the correct one. The correct one is $450, still high but less than Dodge.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry about that. Thought it was worth a shot.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM

No problem, thanks for looking.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:31 AM

How different can those pans be fromm 2002-2003 that make them $300 more? Seriously?

High demand for the crap newer ones? Sucks. I have the same problem on my 2004. Would be nice to find the $153 option for us.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:27 AM

I read a post that said the older pans are deeper in the front. Mine is ordered will be here Friday.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dynocon
I read a post that said the older pans are deeper in the front. Mine is ordered will be here Friday.
Did you get your pan changed?
If so can you explain the job for me as mine is leaking and I need to change it. The service manual I have says to remove the trani and transfer case but I'm hoping thers another way. Really want to hear from someone who has done the job. Oh my trucks an 06 auto 4X4.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:17 PM

I have the parts but have not tackled yet, JB weld still holding.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dynocon
I have the parts but have not tackled yet, JB weld still holding.
Thanks for the replie. I too did the JB weld thing over the week end and seams ok for now but I can't trust it in the long term. If it fails and I loose the oil then the engine goes with it. Im in Canada and the cumins shop here quoted around $550 for the pan. I just cant seam to find any one who has done the job on an 06. If it can be done on an 06 by jacking up the engine with out having to remove the trans and all I will give it a shot. I just don't want to get in that deep and find out I have to drop the trans to finish the job while laying on my back in the driveway.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:19 PM

Hey guys mine is rusting bad and many times I have sanded to bare metal oil pan, rust mort, epoxy paint and it just keeps coming back. I got to conclude that we have a electrical galvanic reaction happening on the oil pan. You know.... like happens on boats in salt water. Maybe a zinc anode on the oil pan is the solution. As far as I know the 1st/2nd gens don't do this, am I wrong? I'm getting to think that we need a ground strap from the pan to the frame. Come on electrical dudes this is a screwed issue! Heads up for everyone you need to disconnect the trans from the engine........sorry no way around it. Good luck
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
Hey guys mine is rusting bad and many times I have sanded to bare metal oil pan, rust mort, epoxy paint and it just keeps coming back. I got to conclude that we have a electrical galvanic reaction happening on the oil pan. You know.... like happens on boats in salt water. Maybe a zinc anode on the oil pan is the solution. As far as I know the 1st/2nd gens don't do this, am I wrong? I'm getting to think that we need a ground strap from the pan to the frame. Come on electrical dudes this is a screwed issue! Heads up for everyone you need to disconnect the trans from the engine........sorry no way around it. Good luck
Do you know this first hand that the trans has to be removed on the 3rd gen?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by chuckydee
Do you know this first hand that the trans has to be removed on the 3rd gen?
Yes I wrench for a living. Otherwise you can cut the cross member....YOUR CHOICE.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
Yes I wrench for a living. Otherwise you can cut the cross member....YOUR CHOICE.
Thanks for the bad news. I take it you have done one of these. I was hopeing someone would chime in and say they have done it by lifting the engine. I was thinking of asking my local trani shop to do it as they re and re tranis all day. Sorry for stomping on the thread.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Rust Thru