3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil filter removal/replace procedure ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil filter removal/replace procedure ???

Looking for best method - access from the top or bottom? I've always accessed from the bottom while laying underneath the truck and I'm really tired of doing it that way. A real pita.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I do it from the top. Loosen the filter then put a large freezer bag around it and take it off, no spills.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by BILTIT
I do it from the top. Loosen the filter then put a large freezer bag around it and take it off, no spills.
Thx! I've never done that 'cause it requires so many parts to be removed - like air filter housing, turbo "tube", etc - just looks like too much work!

Guess I'm hoping for some sort of "trick" method that's not readily apparent!

Yeah, I also use a freezer/bread bag - that works well.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
If you always use the filters with the flutes (or whatever you call those thingies at the bottom of the filter) then it is very easy to use a special filter wrench (from Genos) and a long extension to reach the filter from under the truck. I am careful and never spill any oil, but suppose you can still use a baggie. It may make the the wrench go on very tight as they are tight to begin with. If you change the filter with the wheels on the ground, then the long extension will hit the ground when you remove the filter, so use two shorter extensions and remove one extension as the filter comes down to avoid tipping it. Changing the filter this way means that zero parts need to be removed. Install the new filter the same way.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by unbob
Thx! I've never done that 'cause it requires so many parts to be removed - like air filter housing, turbo "tube", etc - just looks like too much work!

If i recall, all i remove is the tube off the turbo. Quick and easy.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by unbob

it's not like it has to be done ever day,but if your'e too lazy/busy then hire it done
Old 06-24-2017, 01:37 PM

If you have the option and time, let the truck sit over night. The filter is not hot and it allows the filter to drain slightly. It is not messy when removing from below.
John
Old 06-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
If you always use the filters with the flutes (or whatever you call those thingies at the bottom of the filter) then it is very easy to use a special filter wrench (from Genos) and a long extension to reach the filter from under the truck.
Thx for that!
I have tried the "end cap filter wrench" but it never fits right and slips too much. So years ago I gave up on that and went with the "friction wrench" which has a metal band that loops around the filter - it works but also slips and it's very difficult to use due to the tight spot where the filter screws in the engine.

The "end cap wrench" is the obvious better choice if I could find one that fits the Donaldson ELF7349 filter tight with no slipping.

update: Just realized the ELF7349 filter does not have a fluted end! Totally smooth all around - so the "end cap" wrench will not work with that filter! Bummer - guess I'll switch to a "fluted end" filter next time! Any recommendations?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:48 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
https://www.genosgarage.com/category/s?keyword=LF3972
Old 06-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Just finished the job - no problema - piece of cake!

I finally realized what made the task so miserable previously was I always had the front wheels parked on a small ramp (to level the camper sitting on my truck) - thus the engine was raised maybe 5" or so making access to the filter much harder since it was that much higher off the ground.

This time I backed off the ramps before starting the job and it was much, much easier! Thx for the replies!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm with Mexstan on using the metal end wrench, though I run the fleet guard stratopore https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...er/oil-filters

I've found it can be done from above with a strap type wrench
Amazon Amazon
But to me it is easier and cleaner to lay down a sheet of cardboard and do it from below with a metal end cap type.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When parking the truck for oil change, I cut the wheels to the left. The passenger side wheel opens up for better acces to the oil filter. On a 4x4 truck there is plenty of room that way
Old 06-25-2017, 12:25 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
I'm with Mexstan on using the metal end wrench, though I run the fleet guard stratopore https://www.genosgarage.com/product/...er/oil-filters

I've found it can be done from above with a strap type wrench
https://www.amazon.com/ATD-5208-Stra.../dp/B000OUZBTQ But to me it is easier and cleaner to lay down a sheet of cardboard and do it from below with a metal end cap type.
Same. I sit under there and reach up....I'm little and truck is big and high. Fleetguard stratopore filter and lisle end cap wrench. I link all my ratchet extensions and send the end cap wrench up there lol Loosen it, reach up and let it down. Reverse going back up.

Add the fumoto draining oil directly into the empty 3gal jugs and its ridiculously easy and clean to change oil
Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I always turn my front wheels clear to the right before I start and that helps access underneath. Slide under and drain the pan and then a few minutes later spin the filter off. I have done it by hand for many changes and last time I couldn't get the filter to move so I got one of those end socket tools and that made things very easy to spin off.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 47Dodge
... so I got one of those end socket tools and that made things very easy to spin off.
Neither the DBL7349 or ELF7349 filter has a fluted end. Totally smooth all around - so the "end cap" wrench won't work.

Quick Reply: Oil filter removal/replace procedure ???