3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil filter question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil filter question.

Hello all,

I need some advice on filtration, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The filter the is used on the 5.9L engine has a 1-16 thread. The question is, is there a filter with the same performance and rating that has 3/4 - 16 threads. the adapter I have for dual remote filters has that kind of threads and I do not know what filter would work, in terms of quality and applicability.

Thanks.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know the answer but you might check a Cummins service shop for other B engine applications such as marine, motorhome, fire / rescue to see if they have seen other factory remote mounts. And why remote mount when we have easy access? Do you have twins or some other mod? Is it in a Dodge PU?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 AM

In 2003 I had a truck I wanted a satellite oil filter unit installed. I had a thread issue on that unit verses stock. I took the unit to a auto parts store I usually buy from and tried several filters for proper fit. With the part number, used the fram and wicks website to find compatible filter numbers, and all measurements of the filter. With this, I went to the filter company I prefer for my filter and cross reference for the one I will use. This takes a bit of time, but was well worth it. In the end I had all numbers for future purchases, and all measurements of the filter. If someone else has an easier way, great, but this was my last resource and it always pans out. ... good luck .....
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What year is your truck? Most of the HPCR's don't like dual remote systems.

But a good 3/4-16 filter is the Amsoil EaO15. The Donaldson P550008, or anything that crosses to a Fram PH8A (just not the Fram).

A slightly larger filter is a EaO-26. But in this size only run the amsoil, the other brands only filter at about 40um, vs stock Fleetguard at 35um.

The amsoils are all 15um.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM

your dual remote filter plate has thread inserts in them. my neighbor brought one over. i unscrewed the ones in it and cut him two new ones on the lathe. the first one i cut 1-16 for the lf16035. the second one was 1-14 but i can not remember the baldwin filter number he had.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
or anything that crosses to a Fram PH8A (just not the Fram).
What's wrong with Fram? I've been running them for years. My dad has been running them for more years, and we've never, ever had a problem with any of them. This includes diesel trucks, gassers, and ATVs.

I heard about the problem from years ago where some Fram filters allegedly had some adhesive material come loose in Cummins engines, but it deters me from running Fram filters about as much as a bad batch of Firestone tires on Ford SUVs years ago deters me from buying Firestone tires today. It doesn't.

Don't you think Honeywell figured out that problem years ago and fixed it? I run Frams on my '05 all the time, have one on it now, and I don't lose any sleep over it.

Not trying to start a war, I just don't understand all the anti-Fram hysteria that comes out on these boards. It's old news and way overblown IMO.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LeonT
What's wrong with Fram? I've been running them for years. My dad has been running them for more years, and we've never, ever had a problem with any of them. This includes diesel trucks, gassers, and ATVs.

Not trying to start a war, I just don't understand all the anti-Fram hysteria that comes out on these boards. It's old news and way overblown IMO.
Fram has a long reputation for making a poor quality product. They're cheap for a reason. There have been a couple of well known tests that prove this. Here's one of them:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...ence.html#fram

Look about halfway down the page for the Fram filters.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 AM

You pretty much summed it up, but I won't run a filter that has been known to cause damage to the motor.. Besides I prefer superior than stock filtration anyhow.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi LeonT,

The Fram offering is typically over-priced and there are better alternatives for the same cost. I believe that the Fram provides so much less for the same money than other brands. With that said, there are filters available that offer quality construction, more filtering material, and superior filtering capability. Given a choice, I'll always take move over less.

Naturally, if you really like the color (it is appealing) and don't mind paying more for the performance than you have to, then by all means, buy them.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:53 AM

I would suggest looking into a single remote bypass filter and leaving the stock filter in place. Reason being that the common rails, and even the 5.9's in particular, don't like the dual remote bypass setup because of the oil pressure not building properly. I remember reading a thread on here a year or two ago about a guy who put a dual remote on his truck and after he fired it up he still didn't have oil coming out of the return line on it after a minute of running the truck. Hmm, think what that did to the engine without any oil in it. He had pre-filled the filters and everything too. Just something to think about.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
Hi LeonT,

The Fram offering is typically over-priced and there are better alternatives for the same cost. I believe that the Fram provides so much less for the same money than other brands. With that said, there are filters available that offer quality construction, more filtering material, and superior filtering capability. Given a choice, I'll always take move over less.

Naturally, if you really like the color (it is appealing) and don't mind paying more for the performance than you have to, then by all means, buy them.
I don't buy any filter because of the "color". I buy them at the same place I buy my oil. Walmart. It's the only filter they carry for my truck. They're under $5 apiece, but I don't buy them for that reason either. They're available where I shop, they've never failed me, and their filtration meets specs.

I've even read some wild posts about "Dodge will void your engine warranty if they find a Fram filter on your truck." I really got a good laugh out of that one and I can't believe anyone actually believes some of these posts. Magnusson Moss would have something to say about Dodge trying that stunt. It ain't legal.

Anyway - I'm perfectly happy with the Frams and I'll keep running them. I have three in my shop for future oil changes. If they change the color to hot pink I'll still buy them. I doubt my truck cares. If they start carrying Mopar filters that fit my truck I'll buy them too. I was just making a point. Most of you guys are extremely knowledgeable and this board has been a great help to me.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM

No Dodge cannot void you warranty based on the filter you use. But if its not an approved filter, which Fram isn't, they won't cover the repair if the filter is the cause of the failure. Fram has been known to cause failures so why run it?

I'm not at all worried about the "approved" list as my oil filters aren't on their either, but I don't run filters that have caused engine failures either.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
No Dodge cannot void you warranty based on the filter you use. But if its not an approved filter, which Fram isn't, they won't cover the repair if the filter is the cause of the failure. Fram has been known to cause failures so why run it?

I'm not at all worried about the "approved" list as my oil filters aren't on their either, but I don't run filters that have caused engine failures either.
When did these failures take place? Eight or ten years ago? When is the last time an oil filter "caused" a failure in a Dodge? I'll drop this, but I still don't get all the hysteria about something that happened 8 or 10 years ago and has since been corrected with no further problems. Now if someone can find a certified case of engine failure caused by a Fram filter in the last several years I'll pay attention. Short of that, I'm still not losing sleep over my oil filter. Lastly, if it is determined that a Fram filter caused the failure, they're on the hook to repair the damage their faulty filter caused. It's pretty simple. Honeywell Corporation would have to pay up.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this subject.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IIRC Fram filters oil in the 35-40 micron range, Dodge 30 micron, Fleetguard Stratapore is 25 micron and the Amsoil/Donaldson are 15 micron, the smaller the number the better it filters your oil. IMHO why would anyone want to use a cheap, poor filtering filter on a high dollar engine?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In defense of LeonT. What in the world filter is this NOOB running on his sprint car???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP8J...eature=related
Not sure if it's fram, but let me know whatcha think!

Fleetguard FTW!

Quick Reply: Oil filter question.