3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil filter and fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil filter and fuel filter

which brand of oil filter and fuel filter should i use?
Old 03-06-2006, 05:52 PM

Fleetgurd Stratapore (oil) & Fleetguard fuel. Get them from Cummins house or
Geno's Garage
Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM

sorry i'm not sure where either of those two places are. can you point me in thier direction?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:03 PM

Cummins dealer may be hard to find. I go to Southern Plains Cummins,San Antonio. Geno's is a mail order housethat is popular on diesel sites.

I dont know where else other than those. I think you're in E. texas. Try for cummins dealers in nacogdoches,tyler,houston,(Larger places)
Old 03-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's genos web address. I buy all of my filters from them. Thier prices seem to be pretty reasonable. http://genosgarage.com/
Old 03-06-2006, 06:24 PM

SP cummins is $13 for fuel filter & $9 for oil. I get'em by the case.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:27 PM

Whatever you do, don't buy them from the dealer. Major rip-off.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 PM

Nothing wrong with these guys: http://www.fleetfilter.com/. Price is reasonable, delivery good, quality good.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by HorseHauler
Whatever you do, don't buy them from the dealer. Major rip-off.
He means your friendly Dodge dealer, not Cummins dealer. Typicaly, you can figure the Dodge dealer's parts department will want 3X what the Cummins dealer will charge for EXACTLY the same filters. Dodge's filters are repackaged Fleetguards. Cummins dealers are not that hard to find unless you live in some really tiny town. Most any big truck shop has Cummins parts. Look for the big blue "C" on the front of the building. Or, as someone mentioned, Geno's Garage.

http://www.genosgarage.com/

Also, don't fall for the myth that changing your oil at less than factory recommended intervals is "better". The factory designs and builds the engine and provides the warranty. They know what is required for the engine's health. Don't listen to your dealer's service department either. They are in the business of selling service, i.e. oil changes and fuel filter changes. I don't use synthetic. Regular diesel rated oil is fine IMO. Synthetic can only be justified if you send your oil in for analysis to tell you when to change it. Why not just use regular oil and change it at the factory recommended intervals? JOIBO!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:44 PM

Dodge House oil filter ($27) + if they do whole thing= $65-70
Dodge House fuel filter($37) + if they do whole thing=$80

DIY w/premium oil= $30-35
DIY fuel filter=$13

RIPOFF IS RIGHT

OH yeah.the dodge house filter is a PAPER job, not the stratapore!

Last edited by koogala; 03-06-2006 at 09:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just throwin this out here but I use Wix fuel and oil filters, 18000 and no problems. If I had to buy them I would prolly use fleetguard form genos but the nearest cummins dealer is an hour from me and the company I work for has an account at the local parts house and for stuff like filters, oil, and your basic stuff I dont have to pay for so that is my biggest reason but so far the wix have been problem free.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The local John Deere dealer stocks Fleetguard oil filters & will order fuel filters & air filters for mine. Bought the oil filters today for $9.25 each. Don't know if this is a good price but they had them and were convenient.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:48 AM

I don't disagree with any of the above, but there is another perspective. Last fall my '95 LHS' (3rd) tranny died with 221K on the car. All it's life I used Amsoil (early on) then Mobil 1 oil and filters. The last Used Oil Analysis I did was at 215K and came back stellar. The wear particles were those of an engine with 1/3 the mileage, no issues at all. The problem is the rest of the car is falling apart and not remotely worth putting the almost $2k into it needed to replace the tranny. Am I starting to think - for my application - did I waste my money on synthetic oil and filters, kinda yes. There are many 3.5's with over 200K on them that did not have the care I gave mine. I now have a sweet running engine it a car that's not worth doggie do.

The prevoius owner of my Cummins used NAPA gold filters (Wix) according to the records I have. I bought my first filter from NAPA, then found Filter1 (same type company as FleetFilter) and bought the same (Wix) filters for 1/2 the NAPA price. Now Pep Boys has a sale on their Purolator Premium Plus filters. Some have been .99 cents some are .01 after rebate, regular price $6.99 to $8.99 depending on store. Purolator is an excellent filter as is Wix. As long as I use a good quality diesel rated oil with either filter and change it ar the recommended intervals, no one on this board is going be able to say with any authority I am damaging the engine and it won't last far longer than the truck. So why waste the money on expensive oil and filters? Maybe if you have a truck that you put extremely high mileage on and expect it to have way over 500K ~ 600K miles on it in a few years. Maybe if you live in a climate where synthetic will flow much better in extremely cold weather. Beyond that????

My comments do NOT apply to inferior products such as Fram oil filters or Ford Powerstrokes where due to their injector design, they are extremely hard on oil.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 AM

thanks for the advice. fleetgaurd it is. one last question do any of the regular autoparts places (orielly) carry them. just for info im in the houston area.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:42 AM

I don't believe regular auto parts stores sell the Fleetguard. Fram seems to have that market locked up. DON'T use a Fram! As I mentioned, big rig shops have 'em. In the Houston area, it will be easy to find one. They are often located on a a major eway's service road. Check out the yellow pages covering your local area. Or just order 'em from geno's. Geno's will charge you shipping, but no sales tax. I order three at a time. Ends up about $12 each.

Quick Reply: oil filter and fuel filter