3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

oil change procedure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil change procedure

It's been 20 years since I changed my own oil... for all my gas engines the local quick oil change places seemed pretty cost effective. However, now it looks like typically $50 to do my truck and it's very easy to get underneath and work on...

So (revealing my ignorance) - is there anything special in the procedure to change the oil? I have a vague memory of early turbos having a problem running dry immediately after an oil change? What's the proper procedure?

Run the engine to heat up the oil a little. Pop the drain. Pull the filter. Fill the new filter and replace. Replace the drain. Fill/check/run/check/top off??
Old 08-04-2004, 09:46 AM

You got it Dave. If you're doing the first oil change, some folks have reported that the orig filter may have been tightened down by a gorilla.

I have 3 gallons standing by; I prefill the filter and dump the remaining oil in the engine. Run, then check.

Cake.

edit: make sure you have a container that can hold 3 gallons of waste oil under the truck before you start. I think its a great opportunity to install one of Geno's finger touch (fumoto) valves while your under there too.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:16 AM

I make a point to drain my oil while the engine is cool. It takes longer for it to drain out but having scalding hot oil pour down your arm when removing the filter will ruin your day. The instant the filter is loosened (directly above your face), oil comes out and runs down your arm which makes the filter hard to keep upright. You can reduce the spillage by improving your technique but hot oil makes it tougher. Pre-fill the new filter to minimize lack of oil pressure after the change. I mark the bottom of the new filter to indicate that the filter is spun on sufficiently. If you have a strong grip, hand tight with a oiled gasket should be sufficient.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:33 AM

Slip a gallon size 'ziplock' plastic bag over the old filter before unscrewing. It catches all the oil. Saves your arm/face from a warm oil treatment
Old 08-04-2004, 10:42 AM

good. thanks.

so it sounds like filling the filter is all that's needed for oil pressure/circulation to be OK immediately after a change.
I didn't see any notes in the manuals otherwise and this makes sense to me... just wanted to be sure I didn't skip any "commonly known" steps and cost myself some $$'s while trying to save them.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by Pop-Pop
I make a point to drain my oil while the engine is cool. It takes longer for it to drain out but having scalding hot oil pour down your arm when removing the filter will ruin your day.
I take a punch & put a hole in the bottom of the filter. Let the oil drain out into the pan along with what comes out the engine oil pan. After teh oil drains out of the filter spin it off & no mess.

I never liked changing oil while the engine is cool - all the sludge in the bottom of the pan would not drain out.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:59 PM

I've never spilled any oil out of the filter yet; thats about 7-8 oil changes now. I will let the hot truck sit about 30 minutes or so before draining it.

I always prefer to prefill filters whenever possible, but it just so happens that the Cummins helps it out by mounting the filter vertical.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:16 PM

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm asking anyway. I do my own oil changes too and have a question about prefilling the new filter. When you prefill it, do you pour the new oil right in the center or in all the little holes around the edge or does it matter?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2004, 02:25 PM

I fill them up from the center. I'm taking a "leap of faith" that the oil is clean and pure straight from the bottle.

Its a good question; but I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by bulabula
I fill them up from the center. I'm taking a "leap of faith" that the oil is clean and pure straight from the bottle.

Its a good question; but I don't lose any sleep over it.

I can't believe that you fill the filter in the center hole, everyone knows how dirty that new oil is. Man I filter all of my oil even before putting it in the engine, I NEVER just pour it right in out of the bottle

Sorry but I just had too
Old 08-04-2004, 05:19 PM

LOL. GEWL - your super.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:22 PM

I remove the intake tube and remove the filter from above after the engine cools just enough to handle the filter. I also use the freezer bag trick. If the oil is still hot, the bag feels like it's going to give up the filter... Then prefill the filter making sure nothing has fallen into the clean oil jug like part of the seal from the cap. Pour the rest of three gallons in and good for another 7500!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
......and don't forget you don't have to get manly with the drain plug. You only have to go 30ft lbs on it. Too tight can damage the threads.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:54 PM

And on the subject of drain pans, DON'T use the black 15 quart Blitz brand of drain pan. You know, the one that you can screw the LITTLE plug in the middle? The oil comes out faster than it can get into that little hole, and makes a decent mess on the floor. But don't ask how I know this .

Doug
Old 08-05-2004, 11:55 PM

I had the 15 qt pan you speak of and didn't have any trouble, but I changed my oil when it was like Baby Bear's porridge. Not too hot, not too cold, it was just right. Got it up to operating temp and let it set about 2 hrs, then changed it. Was still warm, so it flowed ok. Not hot, didn't burn me and come screaming out of there.

Quick Reply: oil change procedure