3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil change by myself - oil suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change by myself - oil suggestions...

I'm going to change both my truck's oil within the next 2 weeks and am looking for suggestions for which brand oil to use. I'm not looking to start a brand war, just what you personally use and how you like it (smells, expensive, etc).

I'm also mildly curious as to the bennie of synthetic oils in the Cummins. I don't think I will go this route, but am more curious than anything.

Thanks.

Toby

(posted on TDR as well........)
Old 05-17-2004, 03:34 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Non-synthetic - Mobil Delvac 1300 Super
Synthetic - Mobil Delvac 1
Filter - Fleetguard Stratopore (Geno's 4/2/1 Kit)

There is nothing else.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:41 PM

I changed my 04 over to Synthetics at around 7000 miles. I use Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel Marine oil and a Stratapore Filter. I buy it at $60 for 4 gallons, which is $15 a gallon. Which, IMHO, is not bad at all. If you purchased Rotella 5-40w Synthetic its almost $13 a gallon at Wallyworld. And, I think the only other Synthetic (Mobil One Delvac) is around $20 a gallon.

I have 1 gallon left over after every oil change. So, after 3 oil changes the fourth will be free.

I change the oil and filter every 7500k or 6 months whichever comes first. I just changed it this weekend at 15094 miles.

Truck starts easier and runs quieter, and a little bit cooler.

I turn the used oil into either AutoZone or Wallyworld.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

Rotella (Rosmella) every 12 to 15k, with any kind of cummins filter. Oil sampled of course. Also bought at wallie world by the case. I pay for all 4 jugs so I never really get a "free" oil change.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Any name brand CH-4 rated 15W-40 is good enough. Pennzoil is usually the cheapest at Wally-Mart, followed closely by Delvac 1300 S. I agree with Hoss that the Mobil Delvac products are the best. My interval is yearly, which will be about 10k. IMO there are two good reasons for synthetic in a CTD, super-extended oil change intervals (more than 15k) which I would only recommend on a truck that does mostly highway running and has regular oil analysis, and better flow on very cold mornings from the 5W-40 oils available. I don't meet either criteria, so I run conventional oil. I'm running Delvac 1300 S right now, next change will be with Pennzoil. A local auto parts chain went under and I snagged 3 gallons for $3.89 each.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 PM

I like to change my oil often (+/- 3500) so I don't use synthetic. Delo 400 is cheap when purchased a Costco so I have been using that for >10 years, 3 diesel rigs, no engines problems yet (oops, shouldn't have said that .
Old 05-17-2004, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by wannadiesel
Any name brand CH-4 rated 15W-40 is good enough.
NOT for a 3rd gen truck. Owners manual calls for CI-4.

Your truck was shipped from the factory with Valvoline Premium Blue 15W-40 in the crankcase. I have used it a lot, it has no smell and is available at wally world, most NAPA and most Cummins dealers.

I have only noticed benefits with synthetic in cold country. Synthetics would be a good choice for extended drains. Some on this board have had near synthetic performance with Chevron Delo. Rosmella has a lot of fans as well.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM

I use the regular dino Rotella 15w-40 with 10K mile change intervals and a Fleetguard Stratopore filter.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:17 AM

What ever brand you decide to go with just make sure that it is CI NOT CH. If you read the owners manual for the 03-04's it wil tell you that.
IMO I would not put MOBIL in my neighbors FERD , but that is just me.
As long as you follow the book at a minimum you can't go wrong. I myself use AMSOIL with the TRI-GARD Bypass system and just have an oil analysis done and change the filters only for atleast a year or so. It cost more upfront but pays for itself in the long run
Old 05-18-2004, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the dino vs synthetic consider a blend. I used Exxon XD-3 Elite last time, it seemed to make for less 'tickety-clickety' sounds than the dealer oil or Delvac 1300, but I'll have to switch as it's very hard to find. I'll try a blend of Delvac 1 and 1300 next time, either a full gallon or 1/2 gal of Delvac 1 as it makes for an easy proportion. I can't justify using all synthetic due to cost but like the idea of running some of it as it seems to clean better than straight dino.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
What ever brand you decide to go with just make sure that it is CI NOT CH. If you read the owners manual for the 03-04's it wil tell you that.
IMO I would not put MOBIL in my neighbors FERD , but that is just me.
As long as you follow the book at a minimum you can't go wrong. I myself use AMSOIL with the TRI-GARD Bypass system and just have an oil analysis done and change the filters only for atleast a year or so. It cost more upfront but pays for itself in the long run
SuperGewl,

What do you have against Mobil?
Did you know that there base oil product which they make is sold to (almost) every oil product or company on the market. They have (one) of the best out there. I know that Amsoil was the first (synthetic) and is a excellent synthetic oil but Mobil Oil (Dino Oil) is one of the best out there and there Synthetic oil is right there with Amsoil. I know what I said seems like a oil war brewing I am not saying to use this oil or that oil the man was just curious about what oil we use in our trucks and putting down Mobil Oil ain't right you agree? Did you have a bad experience with Mobil Oil SuperGewl?

I use Mobil Oil Delvac 1300 PHX_ATC

Sittenbull
Old 05-18-2004, 10:30 AM

Thanks guys, great information. I ordered up 2 Strato filters (whatever the "best" kind is) from Geno's last night online and took somebody's advice somewhere and got the filter taker offer doohicky thingy as well. I suppose Wally World or elsewhere has a pan big enough to catch 15 quarts of oil? I'm having visions of making my concrete driveway into the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill part 2.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:07 PM

they got rotella 5w 40 full synthetic @ wallyworld for 12 bux per gallon, and it says right on the jug it's cummins approved
Old 05-18-2004, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mark Thomas
they got rotella 5w 40 full synthetic @ wallyworld for 12 bux per gallon, and it says right on the jug it's cummins approved
I checked yesterday and though it does say "Cummins Approved" it says CH, not CI. May be an old bottle though.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by kry226
I checked yesterday and though it does say "Cummins Approved" it says CH, not CI. May be an old bottle though.
This is what I read off the back, should I have not used it?

Quick Reply: Oil change by myself - oil suggestions...