3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is this normal for a 48re?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is this normal for a 48re?

Forgive me for asking another stupid question, but I'm a bit worried.

The other night I pulled a friends jon boat to the lake, after putting the boat into the water I went to pull the empty trailer up the somewhat steep boat ramp. To my surprise the truck acted like I was pulling a houseboat up the ramp instead of a small empty trailer. It did nothing when I gave it a little gas so I gave it more til the rpms were up over 2k then it slowly started pulling the trailer. I was somewhat embarrased cause it looked, sounded and felt like the truck was struggling. So much so that I noticed other people around the ramp look over at me as the motor got louder.

I do notice when I'm just driving it around town that sometimes it will rev way up before it starts to move on take offs and other times it doesn't. I know it has something to do with the torque converter, but I'm not used to automatics and I'm well aware that Dodge trannys have a reputation for being somewhat suspect. Is this normal or should I take her back to the dealer? Thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 10:21 AM

Have you verified that the fluid level is correct?

Is it showing any trouble codes? In any event, I'd take it in to the dealer for a look-see. You shouldn't have anything to be embarassed about on the boat ramp.

I don't have an auto in my truck, but what you're experiencing could be caused by the ECM too. Your transmission has many of its hydraulic functions controlled by the onboard computer. You may want to look at the various TSB's to see if this is a known and corrected issue. There was a TSB for a dead-pedal condition and/or poor towing response for some earlier 3rd gens with auto's. I'm sure your truck would have all that corrected, but it may be worth your while to take a look.

hth.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar experience backing up my 5th wheel trailer into my driveway. I have to go over a not-so-big hump and when the truck got to that point, I stopped. Then, I started again (still in reverse) to go over the hump and the truck just didn't move. It would rev, but no wheelspin and no movement. I flipped it into 4HI and it moved right on over with no effort whatsoever like I had suddenly engaged the drivetrain. I posted this incident and someone said it was typical of the Dodge TC stall. I don't know if that's what you are getting, but it sure sounds like it.

Neil
Old 07-13-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by bulabula
[B]Have you verified that the fluid level is correct?
[B]

Yes. I checked the fluid level the next day and everything looks good.

This is my first auto, and I must say that assuming nothing is wrong w/ my trans. that I can't believe Dodge would release this setup to the public. Aside from the problem I mentioned, my tranny fumbles back and fourth between gears and often makes abrupt shifts. The other day, I decided to floor it from a dead stop just to see what would happen. I watched the rpms and the tach seemed to go nuts like it didn't have a clue how to react, like it was just shifting at random spots.

I have heard of a few guys replacing the 48re right after they buy the truck, which I thought was crazy at first but now I can see why. I am looking at the possibility of getting an aftermarket Tq. convt. and valve body, but I don't know much about it or how much $ I'm looking at. I wonder if it turns out that my tranny is really messed up if Dodge would supplement some $ for aftermarket parts instead of using factory replacements?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by NJMurvin
I had a similar experience backing up my 5th wheel trailer into my driveway. I have to go over a not-so-big hump and when the truck got to that point, I stopped. Then, I started again (still in reverse) to go over the hump and the truck just didn't move. It would rev, but no wheelspin and no movement. I flipped it into 4HI and it moved right on over with no effort whatsoever like I had suddenly engaged the drivetrain. I posted this incident and someone said it was typical of the Dodge TC stall. I don't know if that's what you are getting, but it sure sounds like it.

Neil
I did the same thing. I put it in 4wd hi and it did seem to help greatly.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:49 AM

Rough abrupt shifts from the 48RE seem to be normal. Afterall, smooth shifs means friction and friction makes heat and we all know heat leads to a dead tranny.

As for the lack of power to the wheels when trying to pull off that boat ramp, I'd say visit the dealer, let them check it out.

If they don't find anything, next time try 4wd when pull up a boat ramp. It will be easier on the whole drive train. Just do not drive any father then you have to on dry pavement in 4wd.

-Sam
Old 07-13-2004, 12:01 PM

When I have the AC on, mine seems like it wants to rev up to around 1500 before the thing really starts to move. Without the AC, everything seems fine. Can the AC really be taking that much power off the motor? If so, a box may be in the near future.
BTW, I've got the SO (Not Calif.).
Old 07-13-2004, 01:35 PM

The 4-HI fixing the problem makes no sense to me. The tranny and TC is seeing the exact same load on the boat ramp whether you're in 4x4 or not, as long as it wasn't the tires spinning. Now, if you use 4-LO, then I could see there being a difference in RPM required to move the truck/trailer up the ramp. With 4-LO a lot less torque has to be passed on to the transfer case to turn the driveshafts, usually allowing the truck to pull a load at or just off idle.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:29 PM

Wasn't there a rumor (heard it when truck pulls were being talked about) of torque management on the 3rd Gens in the lower gears?

Maybe when you put it into 4wd, it changes the behavior of the engine management.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jeepdude,

The 4-HI fixing the problem makes no sense to me.
I agree! But that's exactly what happened in my case. I originally suspected the antispin (in this case, more like anti-move) to be causing my problem. But, several others chimed in that I was experiencing TC stall.

I would think that the transfer case doesn't even come into play until after the TC, so it makes no sense that the switch to 4wd would make a change unless the ECM senses 4wd and some signal is sent to the trans/TC to change something there. It was as if I was in neutral until I switched it over to 4HI - then it proceeded without any hesitation. In the future, BTW, I will use 4LO as I understand this will put less strain on the trans/TC while pushing/pulling heavy loads at real slow speeds.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:37 PM

Let me stress that this empty trailer was light enough for me to physically lift myself. I didn't see the need to use 4wd unless there was tire spin which there was not. I wish now that I could have tried going up the ramp w/o the trailer and experiment.

I had a buddy of mine at the dealership ask the DC tech about it and I'm waiting to hear back from him. I don't know how much good this will do because my friend has a hard time admitting that Dodges are not perfect and prior questions to this tech left me scratching my head. I think he doesn't believe a problem is a problem unless you need a roll-back.

My knowledge of transmissions is 0. I think I'm interested in a new TC and valve body but I can't find any straight forward info concerning price and such... I just know that living w/ this tranny for the next few years to come will be hard. I can't help but regret at times not buying the Duramax/Allison and may consider still going that route in the near future if things take a turn for the worse. I don't like the idea of a 45k dollar truck needing transmission work at 3k miles, plus dealing w/ a rear vibrator I mean rear end and pathetic mileage....I still love my truck, but had to rant for a second.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:44 PM

Sounds normal to me. If you're not used to an auto and the slip you get from the torque converter, it may seem excessive. It seems worse when you're trying to be slow about it.

Autos are always a bit weird. The RPMs do jump, the shifts are firm (and that's good). And at times they do get confused.

If you're at the dealer throw them the keys and see what they think, but at the same time don't focus on what a POS it is.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:43 PM

My 48RE works perfect, I would highly recommend using 4LO to help out when backing and moving large loads but maybe your troubles were caused by a low fluid level when you were on a steep hill cavitating the pump.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:03 AM

My 48re is excellent.. Shift points are firm and always at the same point within usage parameters, easy on the pedal shift point is low heavy on the pedal shift point is proportionally higher but in the same locations. I believe the dealer needs to take a look at your situation and tranny.. The only issue I had with my vehicle was when it was new, less than 10 mi and had tranny shudder when starting off the line. Problem disappeared over the first 2000 mi..
The transmission should not be searching or acting erratic like it has no idea of the engine input.. You should be pulling a house down @ 2000 rpms.
Do yourself a small test and pull up to a small curb and bump the tires against it and see how your truck acts to go over it. If you require a high rpm the tranny is not putting the power to the ground..
I don't think that I am a exception to the rule & the 48 re is a substantial transmission in stock form.. Yes I will replace the torque converter & upgrade the valve body, but that will be when the power parameters are exceeded...
Good luck with your issue & keep us informed with your outcome
Old 07-14-2004, 08:32 AM

Re: Is this normal for a 48re?

Originally posted by coolslice
Forgive me for asking another stupid question, but I'm a bit worried.

The other night I pulled a friends jon boat to the lake, after putting the boat into the water I went to pull the empty trailer up the somewhat steep boat ramp. To my surprise the truck acted like I was pulling a houseboat up the ramp instead of a small empty trailer. It did nothing when I gave it a little gas so I gave it more til the rpms were up over 2k then it slowly started pulling the trailer. I was somewhat embarrased cause it looked, sounded and felt like the truck was struggling. So much so that I noticed other people around the ramp look over at me as the motor got louder.

I do notice when I'm just driving it around town that sometimes it will rev way up before it starts to move on take offs and other times it doesn't. I know it has something to do with the torque converter, but I'm not used to automatics and I'm well aware that Dodge trannys have a reputation for being somewhat suspect. Is this normal or should I take her back to the dealer? Thanks
Coolslice,go over to dieselram.com 3rd gen catg. There is a fellow named Tim Holt,who is a transmission guy who is pretty sharp on tranny questions.Ask him the same questions.I think you will find the right anwsers.coobie

Quick Reply: Is this normal for a 48re?