3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No K&N filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:No K&N filter?

[glow=red, 2, 300]BHAF[/glow][move][glow=red, 2, 300]BHAF[/glow][/move]
Old 03-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Banned

[quote author=SuperiorDiesel03 link=board=20;threadid=12081;start=15#117976 date=1048090455]<br>[glow=red, 2, 300]BHAF[/glow][move][glow=red, 2, 300]BHAF[/glow][/move]<br>[/quote]<br><br>Bless you...<br>(Handing you kleenex to wipe your nose)<br>
Old 03-19-2003, 11:49 PM

Turbos are not that complex. On my turbo charged eclipse car I have a turbo on it with a K&amp;N, plus it has a factory oil blow by hose that feeds oil back into the intake hose prior to the turbo from the head. That means the turbo is being fed some oil, actually quite a bit and is being sent back into the intake manifold for burning. Most of it ends up in the intercooler which means I would have to clean it alot. I moved the blow by hose to a catch can to avoid having to clean my $1500.00 aftermarket front mount intercooler. ;D <br><br>With K&amp;N's you are getting more air flow if you use a cone type filter only that replaces the air box. Yes, K&amp;N's do introduce oil into the system, but not enough to affect anything, to the point of failure. I don't know how the heck Cummins can say oil would damage a turbo. I find that taking advantange of someone who has no idea of how turbos work and what really affects them. I have found that factory replacment K&amp;N's are junk simply because its still in the stock airbox and serves the same purpose as the stock filter, other than suplementing the constant cost of replacing I don't see a real value in terms of performance. I do know that K&amp;N's tend to operate better than paper filters when dirty. <br><br>I will be putting a K&amp;N on my truck to offset the cost of having to buy a paper filter all the time, I'm not looking for anything other than that. If something ever arises with my motor in reguards to me using a K&amp;N filter I will fight it to the end for them to prove how K&amp;N oil from the filter has affected the turbo or motor. <br><br>Everything goes back to that aftermarket law where a manufactor has to prove that the modification you did actually damaged or was associated with damage to a certain part on the vechicle. 9 times out of 10 when you throw that in there face they won't go through the legal issues to deal with it and just take care of the issue and be done. I've seen some people give up on stuff like this to easy. <br><br>Good example is they tried to void my buddies warrenty on his car because he put a K&amp;N on his car and was having power issues. Low and behold it was only a loose intercooler pipe clamp that I found after he came to me crying about the dealer turn down. All in all it was a cop out for the dealer to have to work on his car. I made him go back to the dealer and tell them to prove how the filter is affecting power on his car and that it is required for them to do so. They tried to book him an appointment to fix his car after that, he said no thanks I don't want some dealership working on my car that is not on my side. He now takes it to a dealer who has guys with K&amp;N's come in all the time.<br><br>As for guages as long as you know what your doing and are not losing any fluids or introduced leaks your fine. Now if you tap the exhaust manifold for an EGT gauge and the manifold cracks 2 years from now, chances are they will say the EGT tap caused it. Now if it was near the tap I might agree but if it was 4 cylinders down I would fight it to have them prove how a tap 8 inches away would cause a crack no where near the tap. <br><br>Moral of the story: Fight the rejections to the end, don't let the service dept. or manufactor take advantage of you!<br><br>Sorry Luke I hope I'm not affending your service department. There are some good service departments and some really poor ones, but thats a whole other post. <br><br>I'm getting off my soap box now.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:09 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice post Ton.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:52 AM

I find the idea of modifying a ~$40,000.00 truck that is under warrantee with a ~$200.00 or whatever the cost is, just does not make sense. I personally do not have the time or the money to fight a dealer ship or a manufacture i.e. Cummins or Dodge, over warrantee issues because of modifications. The whole ordeal of fighting with a dealer or trying to find a dealer who except modifications, just seems way too time consuming and too much of a headache. The benefit of the modification does not seem enough to justify the stress over dealing with warrantee issues. Modifying a truck that is out of manufactures warrantee seems more logical. The money up front for the truck is less and you know up front there is no warrantee issues because there is known. But to spend the money it takes to purchase these new trucks and then have warrantee issue over a modification come and bite you in the rump, to much of a hassle for me.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[quote author=Rick1 link=board=20;threadid=12081;start=15#118418 date=1048182761]
I find the idea of modifying a ~$40,000.00 truck that is under warrantee with a ~$200.00 or whatever the cost is, just does not make sense. I personally do not have the time or the money to fight a dealer ship or a manufacture i.e. Cummins or Dodge, over warrantee issues because of modifications. The whole ordeal of fighting with a dealer or trying to find a dealer who except modifications, just seems way too time consuming and too much of a headache. The benefit of the modification does not seem enough to justify the stress over dealing with warrantee issues. Modifying a truck that is out of manufactures warrantee seems more logical. The money up front for the truck is less and you know up front there is no warrantee issues because there is known. But to spend the money it takes to purchase these new trucks and then have warrantee issue over a modification come and bite you in the rump, to much of a hassle for me.
[/quote]

For me...I have always stated...
You wanna play, be prepared to pay
I have always been up front about what I have done to my truck whenever I am at a dealership and I leave it up to them and DC as to what can and cannot be covered.
A good example is my VP-44...I didn't even try to get warranty...tapped pump wire...no grief or hassle.

Another thing about filters...Someone share with us what an EGR equipped diesel engine does and where the return goes.
From what I read about European diesels the recirculating mist goes directly through the intake. Makes a guy think about it. Thats a constant flow of oily mist intentionally recirculated through the engine. EGR is already here on some diesels correct?

Maybe I mist I mean missed something there. ;D
Old 03-20-2003, 12:23 PM

Ford has been recycling the gasses thru the intake for a long time...that why my intercooler was full of oil...
Old 03-20-2003, 03:03 PM

Its a money game they don't want you using a filter that does not requiring replacment, they want you to use a paper filter that costs about $20-$25 bucks a pop and makes money for the company. Show me an air filter that wreaks an engine and I will retract my statement. <br><br>I'm not gonna walk around scared about what the manufactor is going to do to my warrenty because of an air filter. Now if I turned up the boost or increased fuel pressure then I might be worried down the line. Its just an air filter!
Old 03-20-2003, 04:58 PM

What I am saying is there is no way I am going to risk it. You guys are probably correct. But in order for these filters to work the micron size of screen mesh has to be larger in order for you to achieve greater volume of air. This is why they are soaked in oil, I guess to help in collecting the dust particles?? I could see using a ram air. This could be very beneficial because it would allow you to intake cooler air and lower EGT which would increase H.P. I am very intrigued about doing modifications to these diesel trucks. But as you get older and get married and have a few kids it seems to slow you down and makes you more cautious. I would love to purchase in a few years a used 2nd Generation Cummins to play around with and use as my daily driver. But this current truck I am just too paranoid to mess with it. It’s that darn money factor thing that ruins it. I need to win the lottery then I would not care. That is why I will just continue to stand on the side lines and read about you guys.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:56 AM

I am with you Rick. I can go as fast as I want to go with two fullsize trucks on my car hauler, so why do I need anymore power? And what is the fascination with the K&amp;N? Really guys, why is everbody so in love with them? I'm stickin to stock, cause I'm the guy who has to deal with the jerks at the techline if something breaks. And I have enough stress in my life without worrying about arguing about why a truck broke. Use what they tell you to use, and you'll never have any problems. [undecided]
Old 03-21-2003, 08:11 AM

I'm with you Luke and Rick1 - just leave well enough alone unless you want to risk paying for unwarranted repairs on your own. The only non-stock on my truck will be the Line-x bed liner, 5er hitch rails, and the pyro, boost, and fuel pressure guages. AFTER the warranty expires, I may consider other mods, or if the Scotty III uses a non-oiled filter meeting the factory OEM specs, then I may install that to reduce EGT's.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:11 PM

Grandpa -- so I guess you aren't worried about that hole you drilled and tapped into your exhaust manifold for the pyro being an issue with the service department?
Old 03-21-2003, 06:51 PM

Something tells me this post is going to turn into a dead horse. :-X