3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No fuel

2003 dodge 2500 4x4 quadcab 5.9 cummins
So parked my truck a year ago and was running fine when I parked it. Went to start it 6 months later and wouldn't start. Acted like wasn't getting fuel. No codes. Cracked number 1 injection fuel line and it fired then 3 and ran smooth. Took around block and no power. Went out next morning and wouldn't fire again and could get it to start even after cracking 1 and 3 again. So trying again 6 months later. This passed weekend. Put on new spectra lift pump on fuel filter canister. Still no fire. Acted same as before. Cracked lines and still no fire. Cleaned FCA twice and can here it rattle so it's not stuck. Tried squirt of starting fluid. Fired then died after fluid was gone. Checked return line from injection pump to canister and know signs of visible leeks on rubber portion of line. Checked line from canister to tank and looks fine. I have the same fuel in it from a year ago. Live in Phoenix Arizona. Water in fuel is not an issue. Like I said it ran just fine when I parked it. Please Help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by bffelt1
Cracked number 1 injection fuel line and it fired then 3 and ran smooth.
Recommendations about cracking injector fuel lines on common rail engines are "don't". If your CP3 was working, it can put out fuel at over 20,000 psi. If your fingers were in the way, that fuel could be injected into you and your future could be dim.
Originally Posted by bffelt1
Tried squirt of starting fluid. Fired then died after fluid was gone.
Recommendations on using starting fluid is not to use it unless you are 100% sure the grid heaters are disconnected. They have the ability of igniting your little squirt and create a loud noise, a flash of light, and many parts flying across the garage.

For your no-start issue, you should test the pressure coming out of your CP3. Additionally, ensure your battery is fully charged. Good luck.
Back to morning brew . . .