3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Truck Break-in

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Break-in

New 2003 2500 4x4 ho/48RE will arrive in March. Could any body give me an engine break in scenario for the engine oil type to use and frequency of change? Also, should i change the other fluids in the differentials? If yes, with what recommended oil?<br>THANX
Old 02-07-2003, 05:38 AM
Chapter President

Re:New Truck Break-in

From cummins about breakin

What guidelines do I follow to properly break in my Cummins engine?

The only requirements when breaking in your Cummins engine is that you keep the fluids topped off and use a standard petroleum-based oil for the first two drain intervals. Cummins also recommends not idling the engine for more than 5 minutes and to work the engine during the break-in period.

How many miles does the Cummins engine require for break-in?

In general, 5000 miles. This depends on the type of driving the truck is subject to; hauling or towing a load will shorten the break-in period. Light duty hauling or &quot;babying&quot; the engine can delay full engine break-in for up-to 20,000 miles.

What maintenance is required with the 24-Valve Turbo Diesel?

The only maintenance required is regular replacement of oil and oil filters at 7,500 miles and fuel filter replacement at 15,000 miles. The air filter should be replaced when the &quot;Filter Minder&quot; installed on the air cleaner box indicates a dirty filter. Valve adjustment is not required until 150,000 miles.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:31 AM

I too like to play it a little conservative. I would rather allow an engine to &quot;break-in&quot; on it's own time than me forceably &quot;break-it-in&quot;.<br><br>That involves listening to the melodies and humming noise...let it communicate as diesels do.<br><br>I have found that in the first 500 miles the engine sort of hits a wall around 21-2200 rpm. Now that I am at 750 miles it is hitting the wall 2200-2400rpm depending on whether it is cold or warm. By hitting the wall I mean...freely revs to this point on acceleration. On steeper hills you can hear it moan or strain, I typically let off the throttle and take it easy or slow down and take the next lowest gear.<br><br>I am thinking the advice for the 1000 mile &quot;take it easy &quot; approach combined with my &quot;unscientific&quot; findings is a good starting point.<br><br>If you are a first time diesel guy...dont let it idle all the time. It is a misnomer.<br><br>In the days of old it was difficult to start diesels, some even had air or shotgun starters which led the operator to leave them run.<br><br>Today with the high torque starters and great batteries I shut mine off if when I go into a convenience store for milk and cookies ;D<br><br>That being said....dont lug the engine around either. 1500-1600 rpm is about the lowest I like to run a diesel. It will grumble and make all sorts of wierd noises below this rpm range and with the manual transmission a quick shift to the next lowest gear puts you right back up at 2000 rpm+/-. Some engineer was thinking when they put this engine tranny combination together. It is really intuitive when you are sensitive to the noises made.<br><br>The thing I always remember is...one the rings dont seat...it will consume oil forever. I rather take it easy at first and start applying a little more throttle later as bearings, rings and other mechanical parts have some time to set in a little.<br><br>Dont get me wrong, once it is talking to me and the truck and I are on the same page ...I will be on the thottle.<br><br> ;D
Old 02-07-2003, 10:11 AM

All good advice here so far. The main thing is to follow the owner's manual recommendations. I did the break-in on my current '99, and it purrs like a kitten at 70K miles - my youngest son is getting a good truck. My new one will be done the same way - according to the owner's manual. One thing rarely said is to spend some time during the break in period letting off on the accelerator to assist the rings in seating at THE BOTTOM of the stroke, where accelrating seats them at the top of the stroke. Seating at the top is pretty normal since most people are using acceleration very regualrly, but seating at the bottom is not as commonplace because often people don't let the engine help them slow down; they just ride too close and depend on the brakes for slowing. I use the transmission (I have a standard transmission) to assist in slowing down, which also extends brake life. Enjoy your new truck; these are really great vehicles.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:42 AM

Pappyman in absolutely correct. If you baby it and &quot;let it break itself in&quot; you will be breaking it in for 20,000 miles, that means no fuel mileage improvement for you. advice from former mechanic at cummins who actually helped design the engines &quot;pick the truck up from the dealer and go straight to at least a 5,000 pound trailer, thats how you break these trucks in&quot;....but thats just the advice of a cummins engine &quot;genius&quot; if you wanna baby it go ahead, it will have tha same end result but just take a little longer. I do know whatever you do your are gonna be one happy son of a gun with your new truck, i know i am.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:46 PM
Chapter President

I have put many new big rig trucks into service....as soon as the customer gets the truck they hook to the trailer and drive as they would with any truck....just watch all the gauges and keep all fluids topped off....and drive like you stoled it
Old 02-07-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to drive my Kenworths around for 10000 miles bobtail to break them in easy just so my warrantee was not compromised worked pretty good except I always seemed to be 3 payments behind. Still have not figured out why the company wouldn't pay me for those miles. In reality commercial work trucks get broken in on the job starting the first day available usually by a person who usually doesn't care. They seem to all do fine with th exception of outright abuse, in the case of the Cummins it is an industrial work engine so work it. I put 30,000 miles on mine before switching to synthetic motor oil, now has 60k and uses 1/2 a quart of oil between 17000 mile (25000 kilometer) oil changes. First truck went 250k without problems cant see why this one would or should be different, 3406's went 600-800k same method. PK