3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Recall out there... 48RE related

Old 02-19-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Recall out there... 48RE related

Well for the third time the truck wouldn't shift to overdrive.

The first two times the problem was water in the connection between the wiring harness and the PCM. This time the problem was the same....

In talking to the service adviser he starts talking about a TSB for the problem and will order in the part recommended in the TSB, he starts punching stuff into his computer and starts scratching his head..... It turns out that the TSB was superseeded by a recall. This recall is dated 2/16/04 and calls for the replacement of the wiring harness and the PCM. I will get a copy of the recall form when I take the truck in on Friday for installation of these new parts.

I truely hope this is the end of this issue for me!

Just thought I would share.

I should also state that this seems to be an '03 issue only due to the elimination of the PCM in '04. Addtionally, my truck is a 4X4 and has the electronic transfer case..... I don't know if those with a manual case are affected.

Nash - who was at his wits end when the truck wouldn't shift to OD on the drive to work yesterday am.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:54 AM

I got the call this a.m. but I have not had any problems. They have ordered the parts anyway. My appointment is next thursday.
Old 02-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Banned

Re: New Recall out there... 48RE related

Originally posted by a71rambler

I should also state that this seems to be an '03 issue only due to the elimination of the PCM in '04. .

What controls the powertrain if the PCM is gone??
Old 02-19-2004, 04:41 PM

Re: Re: New Recall out there... 48RE related

Originally posted by spots
What controls the powertrain if the PCM is gone??
My understanding is that it is now all in the ECU, while technically not "gone" it is all in one unit now.

Nash
Old 02-19-2004, 07:56 PM

recall

Got recall notice in the mail today -- have a 2004 4x4 w/auto
trans -- does anyone know what this may be -- by the time i got home service dept was closed -- says recall number C44 - just wondering if anyone knew -- thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 08:10 PM

had this done already this is the TSB 08-031-03, which i guess is now a recall
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 PM

my truck is an 04 if this pertains to 03's is this the same recall or has someone heard of something for the 04's
Old 02-19-2004, 08:50 PM
Chapter President

Looks like thread got moved, mine is an 04. Had it in to the dealership today and nobody said a thing.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:28 PM

I think this is 2 separate issues. The one for replacement of the wireing harness and PCM should only be on the '03s. The one on the '04's isn't a recall but a Customer Satisfaction Notification to do with the transmission cooler line.

Now does anyone know what this transmission cooler line issue is? I just checked the Dodge recall site and I've got it. It seems it just got issued on 2/16 and there is a link to a pdf file but the link doesn't point to anything.
Old 02-19-2004, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the recall done and live a happy life. Believe me, you would know if the problem occured!
Old 02-19-2004, 11:17 PM

My 03 Kali version had a "quick connect" on the cooler line come loose. Dealer said it was a factory deal. Quick fix. Sorry again for the driveway Bob.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:08 AM

I sent my truck into the dealer today to perform both recalls, and the guys said my cooler was clogged, i think they stripped the cooler line out of somthing, all i know is the dealers one hour job has left me with no truck until the repace the cooler...

i hate the dealerships, i even checked BBB.

sorry about that off topic rant.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 AM

Did anyone that received the letter know if this recall applies to the 04.5?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:10 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by 03racecarhauler
I sent my truck into the dealer today to perform both recalls, and the guys said my cooler was clogged, i think they stripped the cooler line out of somthing, all i know is the dealers one hour job has left me with no truck until the repace the cooler...

i hate the dealerships, i even checked BBB.

sorry about that off topic rant.
What does your waiting have to do with the dealership? I'm curious how the two are even related given the fact that the guy found something wrong, and they're going to fix it for you. Is it not worth it to wait and have it done right?

With these new trucks coming out, and especially since mine is a DRW, I won't go anywhere but the dealership anymore for work. The last time I had maintenance done, it wasn't any more expensive then any other place I've been to. On top of that, I don' t have time to do much of it myself so I have the peace of mind that all of the proper maintenance is being done, and if a warranty issue ever arises, all of that will be on record as being done properly.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:30 AM

the dealer probably messed up the truck while changing out the line to the cooler. i am assuming if my cooler was clogged it would have overheated the tranny seen as though i am pulling 10k 85% of the time.

the fact that it is my only winter vehicle, and it is snowing here in Colorado agitated me when they told me the truck would be ready by 4.00pm, and they call me at 2.15pm to tell me they need the truck for the next day.

in order to find out if your 4.5 need the recall done you should be able to call your dealer with your VIN and they can check to see if your truck is part of the recall.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Recall out there... 48RE related