3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need the lowdown on LUCAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good low ash 2 stroke oil is the way to go. Definitely quietens down the injector hammering, especially when its cold. I run 1/2 quart, or 1/2 liter per tank.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:26 PM

You only need to run about a 2% mixture of B-100 to more than adequately lubricate ULSD fuel. The bio acts like a fuel & an additive. If you put a gallon of bio in your tank, it's like putting a gallon of fuel in. However, that gallon of bio will also additize the rest of the ULSD in the tank. In so far as lubricity is concerned, it works better than all the other additives tested!!!

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 12-29-2007, 08:02 AM

Bio is very difficult to find in some areas. Besides that, how does one buy one gallon of bio-diesel and 29 gallons of regular diesel?

Would you please provide your info source for your statement:

"In so far as lubricity is concerned, it works better than all the other additives tested!!!"
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 AM

There is a study posted on another website in pdf form. It shows the top 10 additives based on testing. You can go to www.opti-lube.com/XPD.htm and click on the link to read. You may have to join the other site to read it. There is some very good info in that study.

It should be posted here in the wiki!!! (If it is not already)
Old 12-29-2007, 04:31 PM

Moterhead,

Here in Phoenix, we have a fuel supplier (Western States Petroleum, Inc.) that sells B-99 (soy based). I, usually, buy 5 or 6 gallons of it & when I get ULSD, I add an amount that is equivilent to about 2% of the diesel fuel I bought. I pour the B-99 into an empty, clean milk jug (1/2 or 1 gallon) & then pour it into the fuel tank. Works very well.

You may want to google biodiesel & there are lists of local suppliers of this product.

Regarding my "statement" about the B-99 being one of the best additives for lubricity, I got that on the "dieselplace.com" website. If you scroll down to the "Maintenance & Fluids" forum, & then go down to about the fifth "Sticky", you will find a post entitled "Lubricity Additive Study Results" by a member named Spicer. You may find the entire study quite interesting. I know that many folks, including myself, have found it to be very informative. And Spicer is known for doing exhaustive studies from air filtration to additives.
Some of the members, on that site, are at the forefront of things like this & fuel filtration, etc. Things that are common to all diesel pick-ups, not just Duramaxes. I've learned a lot on that site. Still drive a Dodge, though.

Hope this helps.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 12-29-2007, 05:48 PM

Buffalo, I appreciate your posting the source for you info. You read so much BS on the net, that you never know what's valid and what's not.