3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need Help Pointers on clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Pointers on clutch install

I am replacing my factory clutch with a South Bend DD3250. I removed everything and have the new clutch bolted i place. However, I cannot seem to get the transmission to slide back in. I am getting the splines to slide in, but the trans stops about 1/2 inch short every time. I am assuming this is the nose of the input shaft coming in contact with the bearing on the flywheel. I can never seem to adjust it propperly to get it to slide the rest of the way. Me and a friend worked on trying to get the tranny installed for 4 hours yesterday before givving up at 2:30am. Going back to fight it today and was looking for suggestions. Again we wrestle around with the transmission and can feel it fall into the splines. But after you get within the last 1/2 inch or so we can't seem to wiggle, push, or pry anwhere to get it to slide that last little bit.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BTDT. A couple small rachet straps GENTLY pulling forward on the trans, say from trans to motor mount. This gives you and your buddy all hands free to wiggle the trans while the straps do the pulling. Has worked for me several times. I do emphasize Gentle tension on the strap, just enough to send the input shaft home when it lines up. Good luck! It's a PITA on the ground.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 AM

ratchet straps

We thought about doing the ratchet strap thing, but I was concerned about putting too much pressure on the bearing. We also know some one that has a tall tranny lift so we can try and do this up in the air.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 AM

alignment tool

I had a couple guys tell me to install the alignment tool back into the clutch and then loosen the pressure plate and push up slightly on the alignment tool and then re-tighten. The thought process is that there is some play in the screw holes and in the alignment tool and the bearing may be slightly off.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another trick when you get that close is to have someone push in on the clutch pedal (you have to have your hydraulics all hooked back up) while you jiggle the tranny. Peter at Southbend told me this one and it helped me get it that last little bit. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
did you align the clutch with a pilot, if not you have to center the cutch perfectly, other wise the tranny shaft will not align with the flywheel bearing, you will be in for a long day, good luck; Grant
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I inteded to say pilot shaft; Grant
Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Its finally in

The problem was that we didn't have the alignment tool pushed completely into the pilot bearing on the flywheel. I removed the pressure plate and clutch assembly a few times before realizing that this alignment tool wasn't going in all of the way. After getting the tool propperly set and getting the pressure plate in place, the transmission went back in relatively easy. I guess the lesson learned is, "If you have to force the transmission in something isn't propperly aligned" In addition we borrowed a tall tranny jack which enabled us to work on thing while in the air. Much better than lying on the ground. Thanks for everyones help.