3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Need help! Frustrated with my truck... Wont run!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help! Frustrated with my truck... Wont run!

Hi everyone,
I need some help here. I have an 05 2500 Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4 Laramie. Had # 3 injector go out, burn up #3 piston and cylinder. Blown engine...
After having the engine completely rebuilt, 6 new injectors and a new turbo charger and replacing the fuel filter, my truck was running great! 3500 miles on the new engine and it just stopped running. Drove it to work, no problem. Get ready to leave and it won't start. Will turn over all day long but wont fire. No engine lights are on.
What I've done so far:
Had the batteries checked, replaced 1.
Emptied the fuel filter canister, changed the fuel filter, left the lid cracked and fuel is pumping!
Put diesel in the air filter and tried to crank it, still wont start...
Tach is moving when trying to start so I dont think it's the crank shaft sensor...
Any idea's would be great... I've already spent about the value of the truck getting it running again. I'm stuck without a ride and need my truck..
I'm not a mechanic, am a little mechanically inclined but will need specific instructions as what I've covered is about all I know to do...
Truly grateful,
Sara
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM
MTC

Sorry, I cant help with your issues, but please keep us posted on what it was when you get it fixed...
Old 01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Have you tried the key on/off...on/off....on/off....on trick to check for any stored codes? For it to simply just cease starting it seems like either a fuel supply issue (even though you said the LP is running) or an electrical connection gave way some where. Did you recently change the fuel filter?

Is the truck chipped or have a tuner on it? If so remove it and see what happens.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Codes would help, if any.

Could be a rail pressure relief valve stuck open or a bad rail pressure sensor. If you could find out what your rail pressure is while cranking, you could verify if it was good or bad. That's the cheapest place to start at...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Diesel in the air filter?

You've got a high pressure fuel leak. I would look at #4 injector line, as they're severely prone to cracking.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Diesel in the air filter is a if the engine did start it could ingest all that fuel and cause uncontrolled RPM runaway, which would mean the end to your engine if the RPM's go high enough. Please don't do that anymore. You need to pull any codes that are stored first, are any codes showing active? Then you need to monitor fuel pressure while cranking over engine with two fully charged batteries. If fuel pressure is below set point pressure then you have leakage in the high pressure side of the fuel system. Possible HPC tube or pressure limiting valve leaking, or pressure sensor could be bad. If fuel pressure shows more then 500psi key on with the engine not running then possible sensor.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM

Thank all ya'll for your feedback. I could not find ANY cracks in any of the fuel lines. I dont know how to check the rail or fuel pressure, though. My truck is NOT throwing any codes I love my truck, but at this point I've bought it 2x's with as much $ as I've put into it. One thing I did notice when I drained the fuel filter canister is that the fuel was cloudy, whitish tint almost. I've never seen diesel look like that... I filled up and only had 1/4 tank left when it quit running (again). It had been running great. Does anyone know of a good site to get diagrams for the engine so I can try to figure/find out where everything is located? And if it is the CP3? (High pressure pump) shouldnt it start with starter fluid or ether? Somehow I'm gonna get this figured out. Maybe when it's all over I'll at least come away with quite a bit of knowledge
Old 01-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Again, I really appreciate all ya'lls help. And if you can think of any way to direct me to the right spot and how to check, I most certainly will try it. I just cant keep getting it towed and spending tons of $. Where I live, the only place that I'm confident knows what they are doing is 2 hours away... Ugh. Thanks everyone. I'll keep ya'll posted and keep checking back for more feedback
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Where do you live? If it's really cold, your fuel may have jelled. The whiteness may be the fuel waxing.

Grab some power service in the white bottle and pour some in the fuel filter housing, some in the tank.

I have diagrams, but you need to be more specific on what you need.

NEVER use any starting fluid. When the starting fluid hits the hot grid heater... kaboom...
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

With the crank and no start, you need to look at a fuel delivery issue. Can you hear your fuel pump running? Will the canister fill quickly after you drain it? Look at your fuel rail, make sure none of the connectors (rail pressure sensor) are loose or broken.

Name:  railsensorandprv.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  117.2 KB
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 PM

I live in Texas, we've had some cold snaps but it's been 70+ everyday lately. I can hear the fuel pump running and the fuel filter canister fills fast. I made sure the connector wasnt lose and someone said fuel will come out if you open the fuel pressure sensor. None came out (I just cracked it open & turned over the truck). I had an 01 5.9 and I never had these problems and it was so much easier to work on. I love the haulin power of these trucks but dang, I'm sick of it breaking! I'm wondering if the white tint to the fuel is water? The light didnt come on and would that make it cease to start?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Please do not open the fuel rail or any part of the fuel system from the CP3 (injection pump) and further while the truck is cranking. The fuel system is pressurized up to 26,000+ PSI, it can take an eye or appendage out in a hurry.

If your fuel looks bad, you should drain it and start over... I doubt anywhere in Texas is cold enough to make fuel jell or wax.

You did the key method to get codes, right? Turn on and off three times, leave the key in the on position the third time?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I'm kind of fixating on a fuel problem here, but if it were me, I would:

Verify no codes. You can see if Autozone or the like will let you check out a code reader and take it home if the key method does not produce anything.

Change your fuel. Someone may have got you, put something in the tank, or you could have got bad fuel. Your tank may be empty.

Check all of your fuses/relays.

Make sure nothing is jacked up under the hood... wired frayed (check under the AC compressor, there is a common wire that chafes there that may cause a no start)

After you get here, you need to take it in to a dealer/someone with an OBDII reader so they can see what is going on. You'll drop 90 bucks in a diagnostic fee, but if you don't, you'll be throwing parts at it. The reader will be able to tell you what the rail pressure is at cranking, if it's not at a certain pressure, the truck is not going to start. Could be anything from a bad rail pressure gauge, open pressure relief valve, injector(s) stuck open, broken cam, crank...etc.

Start with the cheap stuff first...

Pull your dipstick, check the oil level. If it's super high or smells like diesel, you have a broken/stuck open injector.

HTH.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

All good points Mark....however, I'm thinking her problem is fuel related only. She stated that when she drained the canister it was milky. Milky fuel is a severe no no. I'm thinking super saturated fuel (with water) or she pumped fuel from the bottom of the supply tank at the station and grabbed all the mess that accumulates there. I think draining the tank is her best option right now.

Hopefully she'll keep us informed on what she finds.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

I agree, but from running my 'Mark's Minor Mechanics' shop out of my garage, I've learned not to get tunnel vision on what the customer says...

But I agree with you, I think it's fuel as well.

Quick Reply: Need help! Frustrated with my truck... Wont run!