3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

My Past Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by northernwheeler
Danc46, I couldn't agree more. It ia amazing some of the stuff I hear when I go in for service. I just play dumb and act like I don't have a clue about anything mechanical and just listen to the B.S. At least this way I can tell which people are trying to rip me off, or just don't know any better themselves, and then I can avoid them in the future.

At least I can tell the truth from the thievery, but I feel bad for the people that trust these places to take care of them, and get taken for a pile of money.

Just my .02 cents.
When I dropped my 96 Dodge at the dealership that tried to rob me, there was a woman crying about her car - she didn't have the money to fix it and needed it to get to work. It was also a 96. I felt bad when I left the dealership and waited for their call.
When they called, I knew it was thievery. After all the yelling and waiting at the office of the dealership owner, I told him about that woman besides what they pulled on me.
I believe in my heart he fixed her problems under warranty like it should have been. I don't know for sure, but I hope so.
I do know he fired a lot of people in that dealership the next morning.
I paid a visit to the District Attorney in my county and tried to get them to investigate. The owner firing all of those people stopped any inquiry the DA was going to make into that dealership.
Believe me, I was more than mad, I was furious over that incident. I still am.
I'll never blindly trust a dealership again. And if a service writer lies to me or tries to lead me down a primrose path, I'll do my best to see he never does to anyone again.
And I tell them that up front most of the time. That way there is no misunderstanding I will tolerate a dealership's unethical practice.
We bought a Honda Pilot for my wife last year. After taking her car in for service and listening to the smoke blowing service writer, that dealership will never see me in their doors again.
The service writers are very friendly and polite while they are dipping into your back pocket.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AS many have said, the allmighty dollar has taken over our economy. My income is rapidly falling and yet costs keep going up. After the workover I got on my 04.5 I almost jumped ship to Ferd but with all the horror stories there hope I made the right decision by just getting rid of the problem and replacing it with the 07 in my signature. Dodge sure didn't care and wasn't very willing to assist with the brakedowns and realted problems. As far as problems how about a dealer changing the injector that filled the crankcase with diesel, then trying to charge you the $100 deductable (Just under 40K miles) and arguing with you about it, even thought you are showing him where it says no deductable in HIS warranty book and then the best part him charging for an oil change as "It isn't covered under the terms of the warranty (it had just been changed less than 2000 miles ago at a Dodge dealer and I had the receipt) not that that made any difference. I paid it but under strong protest but it was the only way I could get the truck back short of stealing it.

I think that those types of tactics are what makes many of us have very negative feelings about most dealers. Thanks to frequent discussions with Coobie over the last 2 years I have finally found a very good dealer in Hillsdale Chrysler Dodge that has knowledgable mechanics, seems to do fair pricing and completes repairs in a timely manner and is decent to work with.

Again thanks Frank and so far at 6000 miles all is well. Liking the new tow/haul feature on this 07 much better then the 04.5. Just not the additional 2 years of payments again.

Don
Old 07-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by donhov
AS many have said, the allmighty dollar has taken over our economy. My income is rapidly falling and yet costs keep going up. After the workover I got on my 04.5 I almost jumped ship to Ferd but with all the horror stories there hope I made the right decision by just getting rid of the problem and replacing it with the 07 in my signature. Dodge sure didn't care and wasn't very willing to assist with the brakedowns and realted problems. As far as problems how about a dealer changing the injector that filled the crankcase with diesel, then trying to charge you the $100 deductable (Just under 40K miles) and arguing with you about it, even thought you are showing him where it says no deductable in HIS warranty book and then the best part him charging for an oil change as "It isn't covered under the terms of the warranty (it had just been changed less than 2000 miles ago at a Dodge dealer and I had the receipt) not that that made any difference. I paid it but under strong protest but it was the only way I could get the truck back short of stealing it.

I think that those types of tactics are what makes many of us have very negative feelings about most dealers. Thanks to frequent discussions with Coobie over the last 2 years I have finally found a very good dealer in Hillsdale Chrysler Dodge that has knowledgable mechanics, seems to do fair pricing and completes repairs in a timely manner and is decent to work with.

Again thanks Frank and so far at 6000 miles all is well. Liking the new tow/haul feature on this 07 much better then the 04.5. Just not the additional 2 years of payments again.

Don
Don,I am sure glad the new truck is working out for you so far you deserve it after all the bull you went threw with the 2004.5 truck.Take care buddy,always gald to help.coobie
Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donhov
AS many have said, the allmighty dollar has taken over our economy.
Isn't that kinda the point.....
Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM

I hope Chrysler and the dealer I got cheated from never make another dollar. I also told the lady at the dodge 1 800# the same thing and where they could stick there truck to.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:15 PM

dodge dealer in branson mo. is a cut above. nothing but good service and helpful advice
Old 07-24-2007, 12:41 PM

I think I have found 2 good ones really close by. This has learned me a valuable lesson and I am going to be more careful in the future.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:28 PM

I have to add my most recent experience to this thread to vent a bit.

I took my truck to the dealer today to get an AC issue dealt with. After waiting 6 hours they finally came to the conclusion that it was the recirculation door, also known as the blend door (what I had already surmised myself).

To make matters worse, they told me that the extended warranty that I purchased (at a hefty sum) did not cover that part! They want $433 to install a $14 part!! So, I am getting ready to battle with DC as I was misled by the dealership - they told me the warranty I purchased was a '5 yr / 100K mile extension of the factory warranty' but the documentation shows that it is basically only major components, not ALL components (like the blend door that is hosed).

The folks at the dealership basically said "You should have bought the more expensive coverage plan" to which I replied "That's what I thought I bought." I am now taking the approach of first going after the Service Mgr to see what he will do and then talking to the DC regional rep if I don't get satisfaction. That may turn into a discussion of "refund my money on the Warranty and I will pay the $448 for the fix."

Wish me luck as I am off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Dodge!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

danc and Harley,

All I can say is right on. Having that attitude is the only hope to stop that kind of rip-off.

So many people have no other choice but to visit the dealer and just take what thay are given. Too bad.

And it's not just the service department but the sales guys that will say anything and do anything to make a sale. I just had a bad experience buying a new Jeep for my Dad. I went in with my checkbook and did not haggle on the price. Ready to write them a check and be on my way. The dealer was so bad I swore to never go there again and wrote a letter to JEEP about tha tactics. The VW dealers are no better. Quote one thing and (try to) charge another. I had to go to Volkwagon of America and rant about the last service thay tried to rip me off on. About 15 minutes later the manager of the dealership called me with a completely different tone.

Why do they have to be such desperate criminals?

John
Old 07-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Wetspirit
danc and Harley,

All I can say is right on. Having that attitude is the only hope to stop that kind of rip-off.

So many people have no other choice but to visit the dealer and just take what thay are given. Too bad.

And it's not just the service department but the sales guys that will say anything and do anything to make a sale. I just had a bad experience buying a new Jeep for my Dad. I went in with my checkbook and did not haggle on the price. Ready to write them a check and be on my way. The dealer was so bad I swore to never go there again and wrote a letter to JEEP about tha tactics. The VW dealers are no better. Quote one thing and (try to) charge another. I had to go to Volkwagon of America and rant about the last service thay tried to rip me off on. About 15 minutes later the manager of the dealership called me with a completely different tone.

Why do they have to be such desperate criminals?

John
My small town dealer CR motors located in Hudson Michigan sales staff works off straight pay No commision sales staff,only one in this area to do so.IMHO it seems to work better for the customercoobie
Old 07-25-2007, 10:01 PM

I was told by my dealer to " Drive it until it blows up" then we will fix it.. THis was an 06 water pump issue. It would never puke coolant in front of them, so I began carrying a video camera. When it would do it I took video, odometer readings, date and time stamped. My lemon Law attorney took the case but said 4-6 months for resolution. I couldn't wait and he told me I could NOT drive the truck the entire time... So I was forced like you inot eating the bullet and getting an 07 5.9. I lost about 5,000 on that deal..
Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roperteacher
I was told by my dealer to " Drive it until it blows up" then we will fix it.. THis was an 06 water pump issue. It would never puke coolant in front of them, so I began carrying a video camera. When it would do it I took video, odometer readings, date and time stamped. My lemon Law attorney took the case but said 4-6 months for resolution. I couldn't wait and he told me I could NOT drive the truck the entire time... So I was forced like you inot eating the bullet and getting an 07 5.9. I lost about 5,000 on that deal..

I know you don't want to hear this, you were under warranty, you didn't want to spend a dime, yadda yadda yadda.... but to replace a water pump is nothing more than loosening the belt and removing two bolts. It's so easy even a low life scum of the earth dealer tech like myself could do it. Now granted, I know you were under warranty etc...etc...etc.... but for the degree of "non difficulty" I would have thought you would have taken matters in your own hands.....and considering this COST you over 5k for this procedure???
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 AM

J body, I fully don't agree with your comments. When we buy our vehicals part of the cost of that vehicle is the warranty. If DC and/or whomever is not going to honor the warranty then they should reduce the price of the vehicle the amount that they charge for the warranty and boldy notify the buyer that there is no warranty on the vehicle up front prior to even discussing price. Now to get real that will never happen but as above I've paid for my warrnanty and therefore Dodge/Chrysler should honor it. Maybe it is only a few dollars and 2 bolts but some people are not in any way mechanically inclined and therefore what happens if they strip the bolts when remounting the water pump, of worse yet what happens if they break off the bolts, then DC has the right to say you broke it therefore warranhty is void. It is a never ending circle. Mostly dealers trying to shaft the consumers then trying to void the warranty for some inconsequental item that was done. I agree if you play you pay but not when the truck is stock and the dealer is incompenent and/or unable to fix it and says "drive it till it blows up and then we will fix it!!!!!!" Then you will be without vehicle for the 2-3 weeks or more it takes them to fix it and then I would seriously worry about what else they screwed up while attempting to fix it.

There are more bad dealers out there any more than good ones. I agree there are good dealers, but like I said I have found more than my share of the bad ones and have paid the price. Thats why my 04.5 is no longer with me. No one locally could find the problem and fix it correctly. I now drive over 50 miles to a dealer that seems to know how to fix the Cummins but due to "NO computer codes & the amounts of attempted repairs already done" they couldn't fix the old one without creating major problems for them to get paid. Now all my service and warrranty is done there unless I have a problem on the road. And if it brakes down withion the area they will assume the extra cost for DC to tow it to them. That was discussed prior to my purchase. Plus they don't get bent out of shape over my air intake and gauges. So in the long run DC needs to hire compinent mechanics, train them on the Cummins/ Dodge combo and them advertise that not all dealers are capable of fixing the Cummins and advertise where the local repair shops are that are able to service the Cummins correctly. And again that will probably never happen but it's a nice pipe dream.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by garr_trenching@
dodge dealer in branson mo. is a cut above. nothing but good service and helpful advice
That is really good to hear, as I will be moving to that area in about 6 months. Phoenix Dodge dealers are worthless...thats why I said F the warranty and mod because I dont trust them to work on my truck anyways!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mega07
Phoenix Dodge dealers are worthless...
.....funny, there is another post giving all sorts of "kudo's" to Larry Miller Dodge.

...no I don't work there.

Quick Reply: My Past Problems