3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Manual T-Case Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual T-Case Conversion

I had a 2001 that had the power seat catch on fire last summer, which totaled the truck! I bought a 2006 2500 with the Cummins and a manual transmission. I thought the 06 would be an upgrade over my 01, but after reading more about the TIPM, am not so sure that it is. My truck has the electric switch for the 4WD shifter, which is weird since it has a manual transmission, and it won't go into 4lo. After reading about several people having their trucks randomly shift in and out of 4lo, maybe I am lucky that it won't go into 4lo, but I really do need it because every time I use my trailer, I have to back it up hill around a corner. I am afraid of burning out the clutch without 4lo (I've never understood why they make 1st gear nice and low for towing, but don't match the reverse gear, why do you need to go so fast when going backwards?)

I took it to the dealer and had them look into why it doesn't shift. They said that they can shift it by hand, so nothing inside the T-case is broken. The found that the plug in to the electric motor on the T-case was damaged, so they replaced that for about $400, but it didn't fix the problem. I needed the truck back to haul some stuff, so I brought it home. I tested the continuity of all the wires between the T-case and TIPM thinking that maybe there was a broken wire. They all tested fine. I replaced the 4WD selector switch with another one I have, and it didn't work either. At this point, I am ready to give up and convert to a manual shift transfer case.

How do I know what transmission I have (it is a 6 speed manual with reverse all the way over towards the driver and down) and what transfer case will I need?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your trans should be a G56 and the electric shift tcase is an nv273 (manual is an nv271). I'm in a similar boat as my '06 started randomly shifting to 4hi (fortunately never to low), I ended up having to pull the driveshaft and unplugged the actuator to be able to drive it. After googling a bunch like you I found lots of folks having problems without a common / definite fix.That said, I'm trying to figure out how to convert my tcase to manual shift rather than replace it with a different unit. Seems easy enough, aftermarket cable shifter in the coin box spot and chop up the actuator on the tcase, weld a tab to the splined sleeve and hook the cable to it. I don't use 4wd much so I haven't actually messed with it yet though.

Fwiw, Behemoth Drivetrain makes a couple of manual conversion shifter kits for Borg Warner tcases so I've messaged them about the nv273's. no reply yet.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the info! Converting the existing T-case would be a whole lot cheaper! I'll look into that. It would be awesome if someone made a kit for the conversion! Let me know if you hear anything from Behemoth. I'll document whatever I do here, so maybe we can bounce ideas of each other.

Pete
Old 01-25-2019, 09:40 AM

Jacob at Behemoth replied and is willing to build a kit. I had a spare actuator I had planned to cut open to see what might be needed for a conversion, I sent it to him and he's going to use it as a template. I hope to hear from him sometime next week about how long and how much.

Now, it should be said that Behemoth has had a rough past and problems with not delivering on paid parts and he fell off the grid for a year or so. I have no idea if he made everything right and he still has a damaged reputation. All that said, I've been watching him for a while and he seems to be beyond all that now and is very active via social media so I'm willing to gamble on this kit. I'm going to be careful and pay via credit card so I have recourse in the event things go south.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 AM

That's awesome that Behemoth is willing to try and build a kit! I'd be willing to take a chance on it, as long as the price isn't too high. Just getting the parts like shifts levers, etc to do a conversion would be a few hundred dollars, then getting a nv271 would be several hundred more (or around $1500 for a new one).
Old 03-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Any word back from Behemoth yet?
Old 04-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by autocross72
Any word back from Behemoth yet?
Nothing, I've messaged him a couple of time but no response.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Watching this thread. I'd love to convert my 06. Never had an issue, but I still don't like electric-shift cases.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:01 PM

I caught the guy posting about a new product on FB so I replied asking about it, his answer was 2-3 weeks. I'm not out any money at this point so I'm willing to wait, we'll see....
Old 04-28-2019, 05:36 PM

Hello Guys,

New add, Im interested in this elec to manual Tcase project.

Looking to purchase a 06-07 5.9 Mega-cab in the near future, and will be wanting a manual T case for sure.

Thx

Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 AM

Well, after waiting months with nothing happening and continual lame excuses I finally told the guy to send my core actuator back. He says he still plans to build a kit but I doubt he'll actually do it. Not sure what I'll do next, I'll probably chop up the actuator to see what I can eliminate / use and try to build something. JB Fab is a good, dependable source for cable shifters so I just need to figure out the t-case end.
The following users liked this post:
rockcrawler304 (08-06-2019)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:11 AM

New Year bump...
Old 02-24-2021, 09:30 PM

Hey all,
New to this forum, but have read through this thread twice now. I am actually having the same issue, my electric turn **** 4wd has stopped working entirely, after installing new turn **** and actuator. Looking to build/construct a manual shift lever onto my NV273 instead of converting whole transfer case. I have an 06 Mega Cab with the 5.9L, and she doesnt off road well, so she doesnt get put into 4wb hardly ever. Main thing is i believe it must be in N to manually shift it, which is fine by me. I will be attempting this over the next month or so, and i will update with pics and what not if it does work. Thanks guys and wish me luck!
Old 04-14-2021, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny Hill
Hey all,
New to this forum, but have read through this thread twice now. I am actually having the same issue, my electric turn **** 4wd has stopped working entirely, after installing new turn **** and actuator. Looking to build/construct a manual shift lever onto my NV273 instead of converting whole transfer case. I have an 06 Mega Cab with the 5.9L, and she doesnt off road well, so she doesnt get put into 4wb hardly ever. Main thing is i believe it must be in N to manually shift it, which is fine by me. I will be attempting this over the next month or so, and i will update with pics and what not if it does work. Thanks guys and wish me luck!
Any progress on figuring out a shifter conversion?