3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

low sulpher fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey DEEREFARM06. . . .

I like your comment about adding in a bit of 2 stroke oil with each tank. . .Makes sense to me at least. . . Thanks. . I will play around a bit and see what I end up with. . . .
No problem buddy, Just make sure you dont use synthetic, not sure the technical reason why, someone else will chime in, I believe it has something to do with the polymers in the synthetic?? Just buy any ole 2 stroke oil, nothing fancy...I believe cw3 is the rating on the bottle.

Guys, I called BP-US and actually got a person on the phone, weird huh. Anyway the man said they do add extra lubricants to the low sulfur, and the ultra low sulfur fuel. But he also said jokingly that he guesses in about 10 years we will know if they added enough. Kinda back where I started, I guess. I want to know before damage is done.

Thats why im not taking any chances
Old 11-15-2006, 01:23 PM

A little off subject, but I happened to be watching RFD TV last night, not really paying attention, when I heard the word "sulphur". I started listening and found out that farmers are now having to add sulphur as a trace element to their fertilizers because, believe it or not, they are no longer getting sulphur from rain due to the decrease in sulphur emmissions. So, thanks to the EPA we get cleaner air, less efficient diesel fuel, and farmers have to broadcast sulphur onto their fields?!? Sounds strange, but that's what I heard.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Another question in regards to the ULSD, I am in southern California and I read that ULSD would be available here first. I try to look around when I am at the pump for some indication of ULSD and LSD but have not found any. I don’t want to put any in my truck without some additive for lubricity (even if it has some already). I ask the people working the counter about the type of fuel that they sell and they all don’t really seem to know. Is there an obvious indication when the pump offers ULSD?
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cwrhnr
Guys, I am fairly new to Cummins diesel engines so please bear with some of my ignorance, but is it neccessary to run the fuel additives? I have an '03, and I had to work real hard to be able to get it a few month's back, saving all I could muster, and I really like it and want it to last as long as possible. Also, if you believe it is neccessary is there any one particular, or even more than one, fuel additive that I should stay away from?
I buy that gallon of Lucas fuel system treatment from truck stops and use it for added lube. you don't "have" to add additive, it's just a piece of mind...
Old 11-15-2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by hardtarget870
Is there an obvious indication when the pump offers ULSD?
Around here they put stickers on the pump that says "15 ppm". Most of the time the labels are on the front but sometimes they're on the side.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:10 PM

I'm pretty sure that all stations have switched...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM

I talked with an diesel pump repair place and he said the The New Fuel doesn't have any extra lube to make up for the low sulfur...

So I found a place today that sells stanadyne and I is set thank you.....

So who do you believe, I am not sure but ain't taken no chances......

Gary
Old 11-15-2006, 10:07 PM

Another question in regards to the ULSD, I am in southern California and I read that ULSD would be available here first. I try to look around when I am at the pump for some indication of ULSD and LSD but have not found any. I don’t want to put any in my truck without some additive for lubricity (even if it has some already). I ask the people working the counter about the type of fuel that they sell and they all don’t really seem to know. Is there an obvious indication when the pump offers ULSD?
In CA the only diesel available is ULSD. They have been phasing out LSD here for more than a year now. As of Sept. 1 all on-road diesel had to be ULSD.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I recall California had ULSD showing up at the pumps in Oct of 05 and all of California had to be selling 100% ULSD before June of this year if not sooner. Anyway you have been useing ULSD for some time now!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:57 PM

THis is from a friend that sells fuel....

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (USLD) has 15 parts per million (ppm) sulfur where Low Sulfur Diesel has 500 ppm. Sulfur has a lubricity quality, so less lubricity with USLD. Federal and State laws require a lubricity agent (additive) to be added to USLD so no engine damage will occur.

2007 model diesel engines require USLD. If LSD is run in them it will destroy the special filter canister which costs approx. $2,700.00. Pre 2006 diesel engines can run either product without harm. The choice of which product is almost moot due to the fact that 80% of all on road diesel is now refined as USLD. This is due to a Federal law that was effective 6/1/06. The SUPPOSED purpose of the mandate is to reduce emissions.

Well, take it or leave, just thought I would my findings, when you think about it, they have to add something to make up for the loss of lubricity...
Old 11-16-2006, 08:37 PM

Hmmmmm..... Interesting! You say all diesel sold now is ULSD? The Flyin' J that I buy at still has the stickers on it's diesel pumps that say NOT to use the fuel in '07 models. That says to me that it's NOT ULSD. What do you think?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by moterhead
Hmmmmm..... Interesting! You say all diesel sold now is ULSD? The Flyin' J that I buy at still has the stickers on it's diesel pumps that say NOT to use the fuel in '07 models. That says to me that it's NOT ULSD. What do you think?
In CA, not TN...
Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by moterhead
I know what your saying, it's the same here at Flying J and other stations... Shopping for fuel will give a whole new meaning of PITA for the 07 owners, do you think the salespeople will point that out? More than likely not, DC better wait until the ULSD is way easy to find... I remember while living in the Cali in the 70's owning a 190D Benz, way hard back then to find fuel. My neighbor had a benz Diesel and went to mexico once a month but had an additional tank, he had to plan wayyyyyyyyy ahead, PITA....

Only the future will tell the story. A newbie buying an 07 could be looking at a huge problem running low on fuel and thinking its ok to run this LSD in his ULSD for a short time and then facing a huge bill for being uninformed then blamed for not reading the owners manual. Not many people do these days...

Gary
Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by GaryC

being uninformed then blamed for not reading the owners manual. Not many people do these days...

Gary
Aint' that the truth??? How many posts do we see from folks complaing about the seat belt dinger & asking about how to turn it off when it's right there in the owner's manual?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryC
THis is from a friend that sells fuel....

Sulfur has a lubricity quality, so less lubricity with USLD....
It has been mentioned MANY times that sulfur does not lubricate. The reason the ULSD lacks lubricity is because the process to remove the sulfur also removes some of the lubricating properties of the fuel.

Quick Reply: low sulpher fuel??