3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Looking into replacing my tranny

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into replacing my tranny

Hi All,
I have a basically stock '03 2500 HO with the 48RE. Looks like after 112k miles my tranny is giving up on me. Starting to slip and heat up while towing. I've had the bands adjusted a few times and fluid changed every 25K. It gets a little better for awhile. I’m looking into this one I found on EBay Ebay Ads NOT allowed on DTR. I figured I’d ask you guys with a little more knowledge what you all think. Do you think it’s a good deal and do you think it will do the trick? I only tow a 10500 lb 5th wheel trailer during the summer months. I’m planning a 2500 mile trip around the Great Lakes this summer and I don’t want an tranny issues. Thanks for your input.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Seriously? Flea Bay? And when the thing grenades on you 1000 miles from home what are you going to do, leave bad feedback?

When mine started to go I already knew who would build my trans. I called Dave's shop and made an appointment and babied the truck a couple weeks then took it in.

I use my truck for work and hauling my family around pulling a camper. I don't want it to break down because there never is a convenient time for a break down.

If you want to do it cheaper than 5K, I'd start by finding someone you trust to do the work, then buying the proven parts to rebuild it. You CAN build a decent trans for around $3K. Nothing spectacular, but decent.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just because they sell on e-bay doesn't make them a bad company. Lots of good companies buy and sell through e-bay for a lot of reasons.

Of course, lots of scam artists use it, too. You do have to be careful and do your home work - just like any other business transaction.

For a big job like this, I recommend you look in to a local company. Look at the shop, talk to the people who work there, check with the BBB for complaints.

Changing a transmission in a truck like this is a big job, and you need some specialized tools. It's hard work, and a pain in the you-know-what. Although I do most of my own work, this is not something I would do in my garage. To R&R the transmission, flush out the lines, adjust, and road test is not nearly as much money as you might think. The big money is in parts and rebuild labor. And you usually get a warrenty.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I agree with .boB, not all e-bayers are bad. Yes, I'm planning on doing lots of research before purchasing from anyone. I seen this and the clutch pack mods that they do I thought might be better than getting one from Jasper or having a local shop rebuild mine. I did the Transpak upgrade and don't like the way it performs that why I'm looking to purchase one complete. I've turned a few wrenches before, but this is more of a job than I want to tackle. I have my local garage who will do the R & R for me whichever one I get.