3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Lamp Out on display

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lamp Out on display

My "lamp out" came on when I started my truck and blinked a little while and stayed on. I went around the truck with lights turned on and didn't see any not working properly. It was pouring rain this morning but that shouldn't matter, right? It does mean you have a light out, right?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It means you have a light circuit with low resistance, not neccessarily a lamp out. The headlights are the usual suspects but it could be any of the lamps.

I had stock bulbs and Hella's do the same thing for months at a time, and, generally when there was high hunidity or rain. Replaced them both times and no more problems.

FYI, dielectric grease EVERY time you change a bulb will limit the lamp out lights considerably.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Actually, in my experience, the taillights are the usual culprit and it is most likely one of the center bulbs getting ready to go out..
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Actually, in my experience, the taillights are the usual culprit and it is most likely one of the center bulbs getting ready to go out..
Yep...Tail lamp most likely culprit, the terminals can get heated up in stop and go traffic and melt the plastic base giving you intermittent contact.

My 2002 went through lamps every 4-6 months until I found some glass based lamps with thicker contact wires.

P.S. fill out your sig, it'll help.

P.S.S.

Not to derail too greatly, but anyone not getting lamp out if Heads/Fogs fail? My 06 both Fogs failed close together time-wise, I haven't changed them yet, but the other night I noticed now one of my Heads is out and I still haven't got a Lamp out indicator? I'm done with Silverstars, they are crap they never last more than 18-24 months.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM

I had bad luck with the Silverstars in my 03 also. I still have one brand new one and am hesitant to buy another and install them. They seemed to work great and last well in my foglights though. I never had a fog or headlight out yet so I can't comment on that one....
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 PM

A month ago I had the Lamp Out on my '05. Didn't see any out circling the truck with the lights on, hazards flashing, in reverse. Had to have the girlfriend look at the brake lights. Bingo, right side. Replaced all three 3057's in the right side, dielectric greased everything. All's well.

Last week, Lamp Out again. Same drill, only I had a conveniently sized 2x4 handy so I checked the brake lights by myself. Nothing was out. Next morning, still Lamp Out, so I checked again. Sure enough, middle light, left side. Replaced all 3057's on that side, plus the license plate lamps.

Should be good for a while.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 PM

I just went through this myself. I did the inspection the old fashioned way. Turned on the headlights and emergency flashers. All lights were functioning. I thought all was well until the lamp out indicator remained on constantly. I then had a buddy depress the brake pedal while I watched. It turns out the brake light is the center bulb, not the one that is operated when the emergency flashers are on. The brake light had melted the wire through the base no longer making contact. Replaced the center bulb and all is well.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM

I had a brake light out and didn't get any dash lights to indicate it. But here in SC people are so polite, a guy stopped behind me in a parking lot and waited till I got out of the truck, just to let me know I had a brake light out.