3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Intermittent hard start....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent hard start....

Every once in awhile the truck has a hard time starting. It cranks fine, but keeps cranking sort of like after you replace the fuel filter, except it doesn't catch. I turn the key back and then try again and it starts no problem. There really is no ryhme or reason to when it does it, cold, warm, overnight, it really doesn't matter. I can drive it, turn it off to go in the post office, then go to start it and same thing, turn it to start, it cranks, turn key back and then try again and eveything is fine. The truck runs fine once started and there has been no hesitation or anything that seems like a fuel starvation problem when running, so the only thing I can maybe think is that the lift pump is on its way out? 187,000 actual miles on it as well as the equivalent in hours of 500,000 miles of idle time (it idled a lot in the oil fields) leads me to believe it might be that, but I'm not sure as it has never shown any signs while driving. All battery connection are clean, batteries are new, injectors are new, alternator is new, I'm at a lost. Any ideas??
Old 01-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Chapter President

Anyone? Any ideas at all?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM

With diesels it's either electric or fuel:

ELECTRIc

...given it turns over I doubt it's any of these but worth checking

Check the key switch. If there are a lot of keys on your key ring it could have worn the cylinder. Does the key easily remove when the ignition is in the on or accessory position?

Also check the terminal on the starter. There should be a rubber grommet over it. Make sure it's clean.

There is a solenoid for the starter...check that too

Check the starter for a short on an armature

Check the ground connections to the chassis from the batteries

FUEL

Almost sounds like air in lines Or the pressure relief valve at the return end of the common rail may be stuck causing low rail pressure. DC has ways of disconnecting the return line and cleaning out the common rail and relief valve if you find a good tech. The valve sometimes stick with fuel passage rust from inside the engine block/head.

Lift pump...that generally causes a no start after changing the fuel filter. The factory frame mount lift pump is available from napa or dormin

Fuel quality could cause mia starts too
Old 01-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Chapter President

Thanks!