3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Installing Transgo Shift Kit in a 48RE

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay guys I figured the picture thing out and I think this took longer than putting the shift kit in.

Limit is 5 pics per page, and you can't delete your attachments after they are posted. I tried to load from Picasso and get error messages, so back to the drawing board I went.

Here are the three pictures from the first post that didn't fit. Maybe an admin can get them up in there, I don't know.....

I had to remove a few pictures and I hope it didn't hurt content too much.

Bolts to remove all over the VB:

Page 2 of the directions:

Filing a groove:

Attached Thumbnails Installing Transgo Shift Kit in a 48RE-dsc04038.jpg   Installing Transgo Shift Kit in a 48RE-page2.jpg   Installing Transgo Shift Kit in a 48RE-dsc04052.jpg  
Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, Dave G told me not to file the notch in the valve body. He explained that if you don't file all of the lands along that valve, it won't have much effect. I don't know what that effect is. I didn't file it because I didn't want to ruin any possible core value of the body. I have no problems or complaints whatsoever with my Transgo.

For those not comfortable grinding on the switch valve, you can buy a replacement from Sonnax that does the same thing for like $12. It's purpose is to allow fluid flow through the cooler and TC in park.

Also, see my post regarding TC's, hole drilling, and separator plates:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=257429

Great write up and long overdue! Mods need to sticky.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Let us know the results after test drive
Old 03-15-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by hector
Let us know the results after test drive
Oh I've been test driving for days. It is really nice to have fluid flowing in park. Trans seems the same except for the harder lock-up in fourth under moderate acceleration. Shift points all seem the same. In tow/haul the downshifts are pretty firm now, seems to hold the truck speed back better going down an incline. Putting the truck into drive and reverse from park/neutral is definitely firmer with a clunk. You know you're in gear now.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious did you have the issue where it is hard to get the transmission out of park sometimes? Some have posted that rooster comb is the issue, did you do anything to change the comb to make it easier to get out of park?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM

Great write up. I will be using it in about a month.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM

hector

did that gm solenoid swap solve 1/2 shifting prob
Old 03-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by sotex
It did for my truck
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Just curious did you have the issue where it is hard to get the transmission out of park sometimes? Some have posted that rooster comb is the issue, did you do anything to change the comb to make it easier to get out of park?
I've never had a problem getting the truck out of park. I can move the rooster comb with my fingers, when you put a shift handle on it it should be easier to move. I would suspect a problem with the brake pedal interlock not the rooster comb.

Originally Posted by sotex
I opted to clean out the old solenoid. Obviously I'm not talented enough to do this as I couldn't see any place to clean and best as I tried with brake cleaner, air hose and vacuum, it still does the 1-2 shuffle.

I'm going to get the repair kit from Suncoast that uses a Borg Warner solenoid. I have a drain on my trans pan, and pulling the pan is getting to be a common thing for me anyway as often as I change the fluid.

If you guys need any clarification on these steps let me know now while it's all fresh in my mind!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:36 AM

borg warner

i belive the borg is the same one sold by perf auto and tran witch is made by DNJ components also a new manifold in cluded.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 PM

You are right lost lake. I thought I used the gm kit. I used the suncoast kit which is borg warner not GM sorry my mistake
Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM

finally a trans-go write up

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Oh I've been test driving for days. It is really nice to have fluid flowing in park. Trans seems the same except for the harder lock-up in fourth under moderate acceleration. Shift points all seem the same. In tow/haul the downshifts are pretty firm now, seems to hold the truck speed back better going down an incline. Putting the truck into drive and reverse from park/neutral is definitely firmer with a clunk. You know you're in gear now.
all i can say is thank-you for your excellent write up , i have been waiting for this for a while now you deserve a medal for doing this ,the trans-go instructions are terrible your write up will make this install go way better again mucho thanks
Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 PM

I have to say Thank you. I installed the transgo kit into my 05 dually about 2 yrs ago.ever since then,i have had a weird shift problem.i have had the valve body out no less than 5 times,making changes,swaping out the gov sol.3 times.and still the same problem over and over again.After looking through you post i realized that my shift kit was missing a step.my kit didnt mention ANYTHING about that little gold spacer!!!!! So,after calling transgo and getting the size of the spacer,i machined one up,dropped valvebody again,put it in and i'll be damned , my problem is gone.My trans would shift 1-3 then back to 2 then to 3 then to 2 then to 3rd again.so again i have to thank you for posting this in such detail,because i never would have thought the kit would have an upgrade to it,but it does!!!!!

Thanks,Jason.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:33 AM

You're welcome! Glad I could help.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:04 PM

any interest in helping out with another one?

Quick Reply: Installing Transgo Shift Kit in a 48RE