3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injectors, turbo, torque converter or ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors, turbo, torque converter or ???

So here goes nothing...i have a bone stock 05 Ram 2500 HD 4x4 4dr, long bed auto with HO 5.9 Cummins with 218,000 miles. On the way home from work one day i was crusing about 50mph and came up behind a car going slower so i let off the go pedal and my truck continued to accelerate like the cruise was on. Hit the brakes nothing. Stand on the brakes nothing. Popped it into neutral and the rpms started to come down but bouncing all the way. Hit the go pedal again same thing happens and has been doing it ever since no matter how fast or slow. Just driving one block at 20 mph and the truck continues to accelerate like the cruise is on. Engine runs a little rough at idle and rpms bounce on the way down like it's resisting. No smoke i can tell and fuel mileage was normal before this started. This is what i have checked and replaced so far...apps checked out good, new crank sensor because before this started it hiccupped on me a few times and threw a code, fuel filters changed religiously, in tank lift pump (original) fuel regulator at injector pump (original) fuel pressure relief valve at rail (original) pulled off valve cover and did ohm test onsolenoids all are good and no sign of smoke while engine running, no smell of diesel in oil or increase or decrease in oil level, not throwing any codes. Have read some posts of this similar problem being diagnosed as throttle hang but most describe it happening for a few seconds or slightly longer. Mine does this for way longer it seems and continues until i pop the trans into neutral, then and only then will the rpms come down while driving. Rpms do not hang up in neutral or park. I am leaning towards injectors but have read some posts that it could be oil leaking into turbo or the torque converter going bad. I don't know of any reliable diesel mechanics in my area with a scan tool that could see what's going on with the injectors and ecm while its running so my only other alternative is the dealer and that's a crap shoot these days as well. Getting it there without killing someone or me or my truck is another dilemma. So was thinking of pulling the injectors to get tested but who to send to? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-14-2021, 09:57 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
I wonder if your Fuel Control Actuator (FCA) might be sticking. That is something I'd look into. Its in the rear of the CP3 and fairly easy to replace.

As far as sending out your sticks for testing/rebuilding, I've used F1 Diesel in the past. They changed their name to Flux Diesel Injection.
Good luck, back to morning brew . . .
Old 01-14-2021, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah copy that morning brew...well i have already tried changing the fca and no such luck. Gonna try changing the fuel rail pressure sensor and dump some diesel kleen in the tank and see what happens. If nothing changes I'm pulling the injectors and sending them to bbi. After speaking with Martin he can arrange to have them picked up and tested once they receive them for a surprisingly decent fee. Then will go from there. Either way i will know for sure if it's injectors or not and where to start throwing money. Thanks