3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

idling rough and knocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idling rough and knocking

so here is the deal, i just bought an 04 2500 CTD with 47k miles on it. yesterday after i filled her up i sterted up and i was kind of idling rough, so i drove it home and it felt fine. when i pulled into the driveway i noticed a knock, louder that it normally sounds and not a fast knock but i was definitely knocking but only in drive or reverse. so i shut it down and checked the oil and trans fluid, both ok. by now i was ****** so i let it cool off and me cool off went back out about 3 hours later and started it up and didnt hear anything. i drove it around and got it warm and sure enough once i came to a stop at a light it started idleing rough and knocking but only in drive and reverse not in neutral or park. so this morning i took it to the local dodge dealer and took them some TSB's that i had found. i talked to them later on in the day and they said that the were going to re-program the computer because there are four TSB on it all saying to re-program the PCM. now hopefully they will test drive it to see if the problem is fixed.
does this sound right, who here has had their PCM re-programmed and it actually fix a problem, or the problem im having?
i have been reading on the forum and im leaning to an injector problem, although it just started happening last night and there wasnt any sort of building up to the knock, it just happened.
thanks in advance,
im kinda worried because i have to pull my jeep up into the mountains this weekend for a wheeling competition
thanks again,
adam
Old 11-07-2006, 06:28 PM

Are they going to warrentee ? / charge you ?
If not go with it , I've been in the repair buis. for some yrs. and that is not unheard of , mine does not have any chance to do that - to old .
Welcome to the site , you should go to the user control pannel and fill in your info on the truck so that it is easyer to answer your ??? .
Look at the bottom of most post's and you'll see the discription and mods if any .
Old 11-07-2006, 06:31 PM

Im having the same exact problem as you, if you would let me know about what was wrong.. thanks