3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Idle controller?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle controller?

Hello everyone. This is not a performance question, more like an "I am **** and want my new truck to last forever".

I just sold the powerstroke and got a 2004 cummins 6 speed truck. When I owned the Ford I put in guages (boast, tranny temp, exhaust temp) because it was important to watch these and make my engine run forever.

I also put a turbo Temp monitor on it so the truck would idle till the exhuast temp came down to 300 degrees before turning itself off. Lastly I was building a home made Idle Controller for the Ford because over on the Ford site they where strict about "do not leave the truck running if the exhuast temp gets under 300 degrees" The control would bump up the idle so that all the diesel in teh cylinder would burn, ie over 300 degrees.

Now in my new truck with a manual, I am thinking the same way. Does anyone know of a simple way to build and idle controller so I can idle my diesel (AFTER break in period)???? Do people here use the gauges for exhuast temp and try and keep it over 300???

Lastly does anyone use a turbo temp monitor so the truck shuts down by itself and you do not damage the turbo by leaving it hot when you park it???

I did notice on my test drive that while the Ram Auto was idling it almost instantly kicked the idle up to about 1200 (it was a cold day). Does this happen at all on the manuals, does anyone here run any of the products I talked about or is this not even a problem with the Cummins???
Old 04-30-2004, 01:34 PM

ttm and idle

I also run a turbo temp. monitor on mine, it was one of my first additions. It works great must of the time. the idle will increase in the manuals also. I had the monitor not shut the truck down once and the truck went into and out of high idle all night long( it ran about 13hrs straight)
Old 04-30-2004, 02:01 PM

ha ha yeah that is EXACTLY what I am worried about. Anyone have any proof/knowledge about how well the stock idle control works???

If I stand around waiting for the truck to shut down I figure no use putting one in....
Old 04-30-2004, 02:12 PM

TTM

I can usually hear it shut down as I walk away. There was something unusual that night that caused it to do it but the factory high idle will not keep it warm enough to keep the TTM from shutting it down. mine will go to high idle and them shut down!