3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I gotta do my brakes! Anything special I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROOSTER108BM
Yes the front rotors are floaters.Just remove caliper and the rotor will come right off.....ROOSTER
Cool, thanks, im needing to do mine before I get the lift/tires on, dont want to add more weight and not be able to stop it
Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 PM

It seams like about 25% of the time I end up with sticking calipers after a brake job. Something about dirt/dust fouling the gasket when compressing the pistons. I dunno, maybe just me or things have gotten better the last 10 years, but I've gotten into the routine of using reconditioned calipers with each brake job and haven't had a problem.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:59 AM

I see nobody has said anything about bleeding the brakes. You should never push old fluid back towards the resivior. NOTE: Warning!!! The bleeder screws on these trucks are prone to breaking This is a catch 22, you should never push old fluid back, but the bleeder screw will break 99.99999% of the time. When the brakes need to be done on mine the claipers will be blend, either with new ones or by some act of god the bleeder screws don't break.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by HOBrian
I see nobody has said anything about bleeding the brakes. You should never push old fluid back towards the resivior. NOTE: Warning!!! The bleeder screws on these trucks are prone to breaking This is a catch 22, you should never push old fluid back, but the bleeder screw will break 99.99999% of the time. When the brakes need to be done on mine the claipers will be blend, either with new ones or by some act of god the bleeder screws don't break.
when i did mine i just used the old pads and c clamped the piston back into the caliper and pushed the fluid towards the tank.

no problem with doin it that way for me, what breaks on yours???
Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 AM

Bleeder screws are known to break off. It takes very little effort to break these. I used a 1/4 drive and would say about 10lbs of pressure and broke it off. The threaded part is still in the caliper and brakes work fine but I will have to get a reman when the time comes and it will be for all 4.

There were some of us over on TDR that looked into this as a problem, I went out not believing this would be a problem with all trucks just tried lightly to unscrew it and it broke right off. No big deal, just thought I would chime in and warn anybody that tries to do this to be very carefull because it will more than likely break.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ZacHolley
when i did mine i just used the old pads and c clamped the piston back into the caliper and pushed the fluid towards the tank.

no problem with doin it that way for me, what breaks on yours???
Shouldn't be a problem if you flush the fluid every two years or so.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by HOBrian
Bleeder screws are known to break off. It takes very little effort to break these. I used a 1/4 drive and would say about 10lbs of pressure and broke it off. The threaded part is still in the caliper and brakes work fine but I will have to get a reman when the time comes and it will be for all 4.

There were some of us over on TDR that looked into this as a problem, I went out not believing this would be a problem with all trucks just tried lightly to unscrew it and it broke right off. No big deal, just thought I would chime in and warn anybody that tries to do this to be very carefull because it will more than likely break.
so is there anything wrong with leaving the bleeder screws be and just taking the cap off the tank and pressing the piston in and doing it that way????
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZacHolley
so is there anything wrong with leaving the bleeder screws be and just taking the cap off the tank and pressing the piston in and doing it that way????
Thats how ive done it on 4 vehicles so far, no problems....
Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Is there anything wrong with leaving the fluid alone?? No, not really but the brake fluid does absorb water that will over time rust the calipers and make them stick and corrode the lines.

I have almost 80k on my truck and if I can make it another year and a half (summer 08 before I need brakes) I will more than likely change out the calipers. I don't tow much of anything, and most of those miles are highway so I am hopeful.