3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fluid/Oil In The Driver Side Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluid/Oil In The Driver Side Engine Bay

Well I just got back from a 600 mile trip and smelt oil or something of that nature coming from under the hood. Looked under the hood and saw that only on the drivers side that fluid was spackled(sp?) on the firewall, on the coil spring and shock tower, steering box, several hoses and most of the front diff. I know that there is a tube that aloows excess(sp?) fluid out but this seems alot. I check the oil and the level is fine and the tranny fluid is exactly where it needs to be! Does anyone know what migh have happened or is causing this?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Banned

I'm not sure if they changed anything on the 3rd Gen A/C routing, but the liquid line that runs along the passenger side fender from the condenser to the evaporator core tends to go bad from all of the vibration and when it does the small amount of oil in the system could cause what you have experienced.

Is it a small amount? Dark black like motor oil? Just something to consider.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Im not sure what a small amount would be with these trucks. Its enough to almost cover the front diff, some of the driverside coil spring, firewall and all other hoses in that area!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by smokindog
Is it a small amount? Dark black like motor oil? Just something to consider.
Forgot to mention it looks like dark black motor oil and has the viscosity(sp?) of it too. Then again the roads here in colorado are crappy from the snow storms so the undercarriage is real dirty!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Did you check your power steering ?
If its just speckled , then maybe you just drove through something , look at the tire to see if you can see a sign of splash off it .
Old 01-10-2007, 06:19 PM

I had on oil leak on my truck when it was new. it was an accessory cover plug that is located on the front of the motor just slightly higher than the Injection pump (CP3).

Also check and make sure it's not diesel fuel. It could be a leaking injection pump.

Can you follow the trail and see where it is coming from underneath the truck?

Old 01-10-2007, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by djbikeman
I had on oil leak on my truck when it was new. it was an accessory cover plug that is located on the front of the motor just slightly higher than the Injection pump (CP3).

Also check and make sure it's not diesel fuel. It could be a leaking injection pump.

Can you follow the trail and see where it is coming from underneath the truck?

I looked for about 15 minutes and couldnt find the source. It looks like it could be coming from one of the two hoses above the steering gear that run back towards the tranny. I will look again tommorow, but will probably end up taking it to the dealership Friday. Thanks for the picture...I will check that and as far as diesel I didnt smell it but it felt like oil!!