3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hub-centric?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hub-centric?

Looking for a little help since I am a newbie. Want to get wheels for my 2004.5 and like to get Eagle Alloys, they have 2 wheels (model 114 and 133) that fit and like good (to me of course). Both are 18 inch, the 114 is 9.5 wide, +22mm offset, 6in backspace: the 133 is 8.5 wide, +20mm offset and 5.475in backspace. But I believe they are not HUB-CENTRIC and are lug-centric. Is there a way to make them hub-centric? Is this really a big issue?. I actually prefer the #133. Would the #114 really be that much better than the #133 with +2mm more offset and .525in more backspace? (stock wheels are +40mm offset with 6in. backspace). Any help or anyone with these wheels would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:46 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't get what the problem is. When those eight tapered lug nuts tighten down, the wheel is going to be centered on them, end of story. If the center of the wheel fits tight on the axle and does not center with the lugs there is a problem with the manufacturing, in other words a defect. If the wheel center has clearance around the axle center and the lugs carry it, so what? That seems to be how most aftermarket wheels are made. It's the lugs that carry the load. Am I missing something?
If you get less than about 5 1/2 inch backspacing on a wheel that is more than about 8 1/2 or 9 inches wide you may have problems with rubbing. Depends on how big a tire you plan to run.

Wetspirit
Old 04-09-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mjf6175, I have an Envoy I put 18" wheels on that are lug-centric and have never been able to get a set of them to run true on this vehicle. The factory aluminum wheels that are hub-centric run smooth and true. Lug-centric wheels are usually ok but not always. There are inserts that can be put in the center of some lug-centric wheels to help them center correctly on the hub and may help if the wheels don't center properly on the hub.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JustDirt....thanks, can you (or anyone else here) tell me where I can get the inserts? I got some input from others saying "no problem" but I have heard from others that say sometimes a set of lug-centric wheels cant be made to run right, they feel like they are out of balance. Probably like something you are going thru? I would tend to think that the Eagle wheels would not have a problem after looking at them, they are nicely made and THE PRICE IS RIGHT-$600 for a complete set. Also seems that most, if not all, aftermarket wheels for the 3gen Ram are lug-centric. I was having a hard time passing the deal up. This issue (plus deciding on what offset-backspace)is stopping me from pulling the trigger on it. Any more input would be welcomed.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:56 PM

I think it depends on how you have them balanced. If you are going to mount them lug centric, then balance them lug centric. If you are going to mount them hub centric then balance them centered on the hub (hole in the middle with the taper on the inside) like they normally do. (because it is easier) Sometimes you just have to pay attention.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:16 AM
jt

Are most wheel balancers not a "hub" mount?

James
Old 04-10-2004, 09:43 AM

I'm running AE's on my truck (see pics)... Discount tire mounted & balanced them 20+K miles ago, runs smooth, no vibs, no probs?
Old 04-10-2004, 05:17 PM

OK i may be wrong here, but i thought our factory wheels were "lug centric" thus there is no problem mounting lug centric wheels. The center hole is only used for balancing by a location that do not have a lug centric plate to balance them. btw matching balancing and mounting technique, is in my opinion the BEST way to balance them. Thus i would by the lug centrics i think both the 114s and 133s look sharp, and then i would have them balanced lug centric. Then i would roast off the $800 worth of tire ...hehe... have fun and good luck
Old 04-10-2004, 10:00 PM

If the lug nuts are tapered and the wheel is the same you shouldnt have any problems.

A good set of "round " tires makes all the difference.

Jason
Old 04-11-2004, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Wetspirit
I don't get what the problem is. When those eight tapered lug nuts tighten down, the wheel is going to be centered on them, end of story.

Wetspirit
I have been to hell and back on this wheel deal, I have talked to Budnic, Foose, CCW, boyds and many more said we will not sell wheels to you because of your tire size,,,,,,,,,

FORGED ONLY PLEASE, my Weld wheels have hub centric factory rings, it MADE a Difference,,,,

If some goober tightens that first lug tight the rest will still follow the crooked path made by first lug,,,,,,,,, been there and done that....

**** yes, smoothist of rides, ooooooooo yes, shes my baby....
Old 04-12-2004, 12:53 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Gary C,

Sorry I'm being so dense on this, but I still don't get it. Are you saying that the hub center only holds the wheel till the nuts are tightened? Or are you saying that tightening the nuts won't center the wheel if tightened incorrectly? Or are you saying that the nuts never center the wheel if it's hub centric? Is this all about some distracted bozo with an impact wrench? I can't visualize how the nuts won't center the wheel We are talking about mounting on the truck, right? Not mounting on the balancing machine.
Also, what's the deal with not being able to buy wheels because of our tire size? What tire size is that? If the tire mfr. recommends a certain size wheel and that's the wheel you're ordering what's wrong? Sheesh.

Thanks, Wetspirit
Old 04-12-2004, 08:53 AM

I understand how it can be confusing, I was a non believer at one time.

If the wheel is hub centric, no problem but I still want the wheel put on my way, slowly and not jamming the first nut tight with the rest to follow.

I usually take a speed wrench and have them put all lugs on with that this way if YOU don't have a hub centric wheel it will be better centered.

I have had many words(at a greater volume than usual) with even tire guys at shops about this way to do it correctly.

Wheels, man, I exhausted myself for a week talking to everyone and was very surprised when manufactures told me with the 315's or larger was to much load for their wheels and to find someone who makes forged and use forged only. these guys where the top billet manufactures in the world and wouldn't make me a set of wheels cause the load was to great and the wheels would crack....

Wet, please feel free to PM me with your number and I will call ya to night.

Sometimes I have a hard time making the keys make sense....

I am super busy during the day but please leave your number and I would like to talk to ya at night when things settle down.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:24 PM

Lug centric wheels are a big problem in the Toyota world. I had a 4Runner and it was always a problem getting wheels properly balanced. Usually had to have it done several times. Most places don't understand balancing lug centric wheels. You need an adapter called HELWEKA (spelling) which ensures the it turns true. Find a place with a Hunter 7600 maching and the correct adapter and knowledge and you will get a great balance.

Pete
Old 04-12-2004, 04:41 PM

thanks Peterbilt, there is two and half of us that understand
Old 04-12-2004, 09:35 PM

I thought those days were long gone with the great (HA HA) technology man has today. My '68 chevy 1-ton does'nt have tappered lug holes, just a flat plate. The stude are 1/2" and the holes are 9/16". The center hole is larger than the axle and the lug-nuts are flat based w/ slotted locking crown on outer edge. Now they are a hasle!!! Stock rims on newer trucks are made with both options. Most garages will balance from the center unless you ask them otherwise. But the eggheads mounting them on your vehicle, you are wise to watch them if all possible. I've had studs( lug bolts) stripped due to them cross-theading and hitting them with the air rachet. Never do I go back to those garages.

Quick Reply: Hub-centric?