3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to: DIY Transmission low speed shudder fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turns out this is not a warrenty issue. They will not cover it.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:25 PM

I plan on finding out this coming week. Mine just started shuttle shifting after shifting perfectly the whole time I have had the truck. I felt it shuttle shift about a week and a half ago and the shift quality has gone downhill ever since. I'm gonna try and get it fixed under warranty along with a few other things. I have the Mac-Daddy Dodge warranty up until April.
I absolutely hate when my stuff isn't working 100% right!!!!
I was gonna do the PATC upgrade but from what I gather this is more a fix for issues in a high performance application with a modded trans. Am I reading right? Sometimes it's really difficult to understand exactly what guys are trying to say on these boards....
Old 11-29-2010, 06:19 AM

Got a nice surprise when the dealer only charged me $108.00 plus tax for the solenoid. I was gonna take it in under warranty but that would have cost me a $100 deductible AND I would have had to make an appointment and wait. Took about 25 minutes to complete the job and everything is back to normal. I had a new Transducer from back when I had my 03 truck so I threw it on too while it was apart. Pan was nice and clean too with only a very minimal amount of black junk on the magnet...
Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...70#post2953470

I finally had to take the OEM part out, and put the GM style soleniod on it.

i don't think it's worth putting the cheap OEM part back in it.

my tranny guy said the DOdge part was not "self cleaning" and the GM part opened enough to let trash wash thru (someone may correct me on that, but that's the gist I got out of it)

go to this page, and Control F for
#REC

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm

#REC. This kit was specifically designed to handle higher base pressure in high performance applications and to improve the reliability of the governor solenoid in normal use. In performance units the pressure can flood the Dodge solenoid and cause a no shift condition at full throttle. This is the fix. Fits all rear wheel drive RE model transmissions. Cost $149.00
Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Good thread. Mine has 48K on it and recently started the 1-2 shuttle under very light load/throttle. I'm going to try the PATC part when I do a trans oil and filter at 50K.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sasqoutch
Just to throw another nickle in the pot, at 98k miles mine was doing the 1-2 shutter and jumping in and out of lockup, it was also starting out in second gear. Got with my trans guy and changed the Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve, fixed it for awhile but there was a bushing going bad and just trashed another one along with the fluid. Full rebuild was done and all the extra parts in my sig were added. Half a year later it started shifting from first, would bump second gear for a sec, then straight into third. At WOT it would hang gears till the throttle was let up. After it was at the shop for a month it received another full rebuild, re checking every thing. Sent the truck to an electronic goo roo a town over and he had it all fixed in a day. Turns out it had "noise" in the electronic line going from the TPS to the Powertrain control modual. A small filter was added and its been good ever sence. Bd makes a filter for that prob i have sence seen.

More info on this please. BD? Dusty old thread I know.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

03 Auto trans problems

Trying to understand some of this transmission shutter and shifting probs on here and it appears to match some of mine...I have an 03, 2500, 4x4, 4dr, auto, stock besides the small tow Quadzilla and a 5" turbo back system with muffler.....had a total trans. rebuild at the dealer at 56K, it would not shift...now, at 124K, it hesitates outta 1st into second and sometimes jumps back and forth a time or two, and, does not want to shift into high without letting off the throttle sometimes. Just wondering if these talked about after market parts would help me, and if so, which ones to go with that I can do myself and not go have installed.....Pretty good with mechanical and been doing it a lotta years but never been an auto trans technician.....any ideers would be a great help.................?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been doing all the reading and research i can about this topic. I read another post recommending the replacement of the transducer and solenoid as a "preventative maintenance" at 100k mark. (which i am at) I've talked with a good friend who is the tranny guy at the local Chrysler dealer, his opinion was that the bands don't need adjusting, nor do those parts need replacing unless your getting that shuttle shift. I had decided to swap the parts out anyway while pan was off for filter service and during my call to PATC and speaking with Mike there, he doesn't recommend the swap out either. Im more confused the more i read and talk with folks.....
Old 01-12-2012, 07:52 PM

You are getting personal opinions and they all are different!
The bands do need checked periodically. This is why Dodge made it externally adjustable. It cannot hurt to check them.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Part Numbers

Does anyone have the part numbers for the solenoid and transducer? And some are recommending the "GM Style." What is that and what is the part number for it? Thanks for any help.
fatpete
Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 AM

Same here @Tori...got excited to finally fix this and the more I read and contact people, the less sure I am about which parts to get exactly. I know it's a solenoid issue, just seems to be a toss up between OEM and PATC...and if PATC does anyone have the specific model number? Their website is mildly confusing. Sent Don@PATC an email as well...Anyone have any LONGTERM reviews of either solenoid fix?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM

I have basically come to the conclusion that unless your turning up the power, or towing heavy loads, you don't need the upgrade. That's what i got from PATC anyway.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Just did the GM style soleniod on our 04.5 with 97k. Shudder is gone. We have the juice w/att so I went with the aftermaket solenoid.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:57 AM

48re

I just installed the PATC REC and senser in my 48RE and my shifting issues are gone, shifts better than it ever has, I highly recomend this upgrade/repair PATC Part No.
# REC SOV 149.00
#22955A sensor 74.00
Old 08-09-2012, 01:41 PM

I sure wish I understood the lingo here! What's a PATC? I am scheduled to take my 05 2500, 4x4, 4dr, auto (115K miles) to the Dodge dealer on Monday to have them look at the tranny. Tow/haul light and trans light came on yesterday for the first time. I told them I need a transmission governor pressure transducer to fix the problem but they want to take a look at it before tearing the trans apart. Just so I'll know, assuming they have to replace the transducer, is this also the fix for the shutter problem? I have that too. Transducer is $110.52 I have no idea how much it costs to open up the tranny. Expensive, right?

Quick Reply: How to: DIY Transmission low speed shudder fix