3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How to convince dealer that injector is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to convince dealer that injector is bad?

Took my truck the other day to the dealer and asked them to check my injector. Because injector sounds bad has a knock or ping to it.They say it is fine and that is normal. Well it use to not sound that way. Checked oil in it about a inch over full. This tells me injector is leaking. When I changed my oil about 10,000 miles ago it was right at full mark on the Dipstick, like I said it is about a inch over full. I use Mobil synthetic.

My Question is how do you get the Service dept. to check the injectors? They just brushed me off and said nothing is wrong, this kinda ticks me off when I know my truck. Maybe get an Oil analysis how long does that take?
Or maybe take it to a Cummins dealer repair shop. Can a Cummins repair shop give me an read out and then maybe take it back to the dealer for repairs? Oh it is still under warranty 70,154 miles on the ticker. Not to many dealers in this area of my woods.

Hey ya'll thanks in advance

Mitch
Old 05-16-2006, 11:01 PM

If you have fuel in the oil,& a knock, I'd definatly say you have an injector out.I would take it back to the dealer & demand that they fix it proprely.If they still won't I would call DC.& complain about the dealers service. About a Cummins shop.I work for a cummins repair shop in Wa st.I can do anything but electronics on the engine in my truck.Dodge uses proprietary programing for the sole purpose of makeing us go to the Dodge dealer for repairs.In other words.My Cummins diagnostic tools will not comunicate with the computer in a Dodge truck after '02. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:10 PM

i must have an injector or two gone. last oil change i had about 1/2inch over the dip stick, i also told the dealer about this and they told me to go pound salt. I only have 70000 Kilometers, not miles on mine. I even have an injector line leaking and they told me that they will not fix it. I'm really starting to think that DC does not like to hold their warranty on these trucks. EDIT. o well, i guess this means its time for some bigger injectors
Old 05-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Any cummins shop should be able to test the injectors for you without the need for getting into the computer. A real easy way would be to just pull the injectors. the leaking injector should be eroded and or the nozzel would be washed clean.

Wait, if you can get ahold of a Temp gun you can check the pyros on the exhaust manifold start from cold and all should be increasing at a steady even pace. Have someone rev the engine to about 1500 - 2000rpm and keep checking each exhaust port. The cooler one should be the one with the problem as the additional fuel will reduce the EGTs due to incomplete burn. There should be a relatively significant drop in temps.

Lab analysis on oil is approximately one week turn around time. You may do alot of damage in one week. Also would suggest a fuel sample as DC will likely say that the injector issue is due to contamination (water in fuel) this analysis costs about the same as oil sample. If DC suspects water contamination then ask if same fuel from same supply only goes to one injector??? Should all be washed equally.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 PM

Well took it in to the dealer, Last time it was a women they didn't do nothing last time. This other guy checked my oil level and he said it was over full. I told him when I changed the oil in it, it was fine and last time I recalled engines don't make oil . Darn truck didn't make a noise when I brought to them. sounded quiet he said they would crank it up and try and see if it will make the knock he knew exactly what I was talking about. Once it starts he said they would do Injector kill test on it. Thats it for now I will keep ya'll posted on it. Now I will drive my 12 valve for awhile
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

A buddy of mine took his truck in to a dealer, said that the turbo was not working right......Dealer said that the turbo was full of oil so they replaced it. OK possible that a seal in the turbo let go, I guess.....A week later similar conditions with a serious loss of power. Checked the exhaust system and said the muffler was full of oil. Huh??? so they changed the muffler and said it was good to go. No diagnosis as to what was causing the issue??? Later he noticed that the oil level was increasing and blowing out of the engine, they said it was probably due to increased back pressure.....eventually took out the engine due to Oil dilution from leaking injectors.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Well my truck went to first dealer 2 times they said it was normal for truck to make this knock. Beaumont,Tx Mike Smith Autoplex. (2nd) Dealer In Galveston,Tx had it there for two weeks Cause the first time wasn't happy told this Service advisor there about the truck he listen to it said it was not suppose to make that knock no matter what. Now mind you this is not the Service Manager, The service advisor he was over ruled by the Service manager. So my truck is still the same. Get a load of this Service manager said the Synthetic oil was causing the knock. I asked him do you yhink I was born last night or something . They said that they did injector kill test on it but who knows. Didn't find anything abnormal. They drained a quart of oil out of it, I asked him how much oil is used in this truck he said between 11 and 12 quarts, which I knew playing dumb to see what they said. I said well if you drained 1 quart to get it to the full mark then my truck has 9 and 1/2 quarts in it. Because I have about 1- 1/2 quarts left in my 3rd gallon jug. He didn't say nothing, He proceeds to tell me that they took off my Fleetgaurd filter and replaced with Mopar filter, I told them that the Mopar was just a rebadged Fleetguard filter, this was a brand new filter maybe 150 miles on it.
So i have to send off my oil sample from the oil change find out how much fuel dillution of my oil. Then maybe something will get done. Mine is not just dumping all the fuel in it ,just a slow leak I suspect, not down on power or oil pressure from the thinning oil. Anybody help here. Have 71,865 miles on engine still under warranty. Bone stock truck except for str8 thru muffler. Called D/C they said that Service manager told them it was over filled with oil and the synthetic oil causing this knock. They do have it documented and I ref.# for it. I told the lady at D/C well I guess I will drive it till it blows and then yall can put me a new engine in my 2003 truck. Kinda PO'ed about this crap and no one wants to fix the problems before it turns expensive. I have loads of Hazmat to haul so I need this fixed before it craters and then no work, no money.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:29 PM

Thats funny! Motor oil caused a fuel injector problem! hahhaaa.. B>S> I don't care what brand you put in it as long as it is rated for the truck... It is still not going to cause a fuel injector problem!
I do understand the dealer issue... My dealer hates me.. they also hate forums like these... people are too informed and they are harder to BS
Oilguy
Old 06-10-2006, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh well...and the Big Three will wonder why everyone dumps them and goes Toyota in a couple of years....they just don't get it.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:21 AM

i had my truck to 2 dealers,,they said they have no way of checking the injectors, even with them out of the motor
Old 06-11-2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ed paul
i had my truck to 2 dealers,,they said they have no way of checking the injectors, even with them out of the motor

I like the excuss the best

Yeah we all try and make a living, but they do deal with people that break things due to mods, and I understand that. But then again the guys that use there truck as bought and they break, hey fix it. Same with wheel bearings. I mean if I put a new radio in and the front u joint goes, the radio didn't cause it. It's amazing. I'm starting to think if I plant a dollar bill up my u know where it'll grow a money tree
Old 06-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Mr. Dennis Hurst, the Head Engineer & Top Man in Charge at the Cummins Mid-Range Engine Plant in Columbus, IN. highly recommends the use of synthetics & uses Mobil 1 in his personal Dodge/Cummins.

If I remember correctly, I believe he said that Dodge uses Mobil 1 in their test trucks.

Mr. Hurst said that when you disassemble an engine, there is a lot less carbon build-up in the engine with the use of synthetics.

I'm not trying to promote the use of synthetics, in fact, I use Chevron Delo-400 in my trucks. However, I can't believe synthetics can cause an injector issue.

Joe F.(Buffalo)
Old 06-11-2006, 07:54 PM

There is NO WAY that engine oil can cause an injector failure.A Cummins shop CAN do an injector block off test to check for an injector leaking.They block off the line to each inj. & test the ammount of fuel returned through the return line.It's difficult to find a slow leaker this way but if you have a big leak it will find it.A dealer doing an inj. shut down test is only turning off the computer signat to the inj's.This will not find a leaking one enless it is consistantly knocking.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Darn... I have just the opposite problem..

Took my truck in 3 times for an injector knock... It is pretty loud butit is not leaking (at least the oil level is not rising).

This last time I got it back and service order said no knock normal engine sound. I talked to teh service manager and he brought out the diesel tech.. we warmed it up real good with a 5 mile dirve and then they all heard the knock!!

They told me oh thats not right..it shouldn't sound like that!!.. Then asked me if I wanted to leave it for a few weeks while the tear the engine down and see if they can find what is wrong...

Told them I would bring it back later!!!!

I have been adding Sea foam to the fuel and after the 3rd can everything is quieting down.. They really scared me when they wanted to tear the engine down for an injector knock!!..

Gerry
Old 06-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your dealership is saying that they cannot check the injectors for leaks and such, then ask them whom do they take their injectors to have them bench tested.
Most Cummins Shops will clean and test your injectors for about an 1.5 hrs of shop time. You will have to pull your injectors as most Cummins shops will not touch the third Gens.

Quick Reply: How to convince dealer that injector is bad?