3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

High Idle worked today for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:High Idle worked today for the first time

Mine goes on a lot, but I see that it drops back down by itself after a while (I'm guessing this is when some temp. sensor hits a certain temperature)... I would also love to see this thing kick up after 2 minutes of idling no matter what the outside temp!

I dont like the idea of the throttle stick only because if something moves a fraction of an inch you could accidently be revving the crap out of the motor. I would prefer to figure out how to get this thing to idle up by the flip of a switch to about 1200-1300 or whatever I want but 1000 would be better than nothing.

I seem to sleep in my truck more than I should and it is way too cold here to shut it off even with a blanket... (yes yes, I know, I shouldn't let my truck idle for long periods of time)!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:10 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=njoverkill link=board=20;threadid=23382;start=15#msg219949 date=1070859188]I dont like the idea of the throttle stick only because if something moves a fraction of an inch you could accidently be revving the crap out of the motor
[/quote]

How so?? The stick can't get any longer...and the base of the seat ain't movin'.

On that note, I cut a bit of an angle on one end of my stick which allows me to adjust the RPM's from about 1000 RPM's up to about 1300 RPM's...simply but moving the stick a little bit up or down at the base of the pedal. Can't go any higher though unless I can find myself a board stretcher.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:27 PM

What I was suggesting is not messing with the temperature / high idle system but fooling the computer into thinking the throttle was being pushed. If the TPS (throttle position switch) is just a resistance value being sensed than a simple rheostat should work via a dial. Or am I way off here?
Old 12-08-2003, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the TPS controls a pulse width signal not a variable voltage signal so I don't think it would work,but I don't know for sure. Mine goes to 1000rpm after three minutes but it is hitting on all cylinders. I use the exhaust brake to help warm it up (sort of like the 7.3f--ds do and it makes the same choking noise that they do but it does warm them up quicker.
Jim O
Old 12-08-2003, 07:49 PM
Banned

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=20;threadid=23382;start=15#msg220304 date=1070919922]
[quote author=Berak link=board=20;threadid=23382;start=15#msg220258 date=1070915229]
What I was suggesting is not messing with the temperature / high idle system but fooling the computer into thinking the throttle was being pushed. If the TPS (throttle position switch) is just a resistance value being sensed than a simple rheostat should work via a dial. Or am I way off here?
[/quote]

hmmm, now THAT is interesting. I think you might be on the right track. why mess with three variables when you only have to mess with one.
[/quote]

Well for one if you have an exhaust brake and you push the throttle it will disengage the ebrake (at least on my '03) When mine idles up with the e brake on it is up to operating temps in no time. Just idling up it takes much longer to warm up. I think the only way to make this work on demand is to "fool" the sensors. Even then you will probably have the two minute delay.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WoW Spots I wouldn't think you would have any warm up problems............I will be in Daytona Beach January 7 - May 3rd......I'll check mine and see if it warms faster than here in the Adirondacks.........10* right now full moon
Old 12-08-2003, 09:03 PM

Thanks folks
I took my wifes truck in to have some minor work done and one of them was why don't the high idle work on her truck. It has been in the mid 30s here in the mornings. I did not know that the magic number was 29 degrees. I will be cutting me a stick to use, we don't see much of the 20s here on the coast.
See Ya
Chris
Old 12-08-2003, 09:24 PM

I may be able to test the HIGH IDLE out on her truck in the morning the radio just said we have a low of 28 degrees for the morning. ;D ;D I went and cut me a stick tonight just in case.
See Ya
Chris
Old 12-25-2003, 12:54 AM

My high idler works every morning. ^ cylinders at that.
Mind you , its been -20° F or colder lately.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:28 AM

high idle kicks up every time- even when it's +50 F.-- smooth as a baby's butt too-- '03 SO has a very predictable and reliable countdown to liftoff sequence-- hi idle, heater cycling, etc.-- never a problem and runs the same whether it's +50 or -30 F-- sorry guys but the "set it and forget stick" on a $40k vehicle ranks right up there with zip-tying your engine parts to get rid of a vibe: it's just not something I can accept-- yeh I know but my wife has learned to live with me............
Old 12-28-2003, 09:41 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish my high idle would work in those temps! How did you manage that?
Old 12-28-2003, 09:58 AM

couldn't really tell you-- only thing I can figure is that the truck has as much of a phobia of being cold as the rest of us living in the northern tundra have- it just doesn't like being cold--- mind you it doesn't do it as often or for as long a period at the upper temps (around 50) but it has actually done it when over 50F-- maybe my sensor is set a little more sensitive...
Old 12-28-2003, 10:54 AM

Too bad the high idle did not work like our new international at work. You turn the cruise control on hit set and bumps up to 1000rpm, hit set again and back down to idle. Works very nice.

Quick Reply: High Idle worked today for the first time