3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Head R&R

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DODGER BOMBER
Well finally got the head removed. As i suspected number one exhaust valve seat dropped. Luckly it did not wreck a thing other than the head. So now to find a head.
Why did you think the valve seat had dropped? What were the symptoms? I am just curious, I was told that valve seats drop when you get your truck too hot.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by 5.9 Blackout
Why did you think the valve seat had dropped? What were the symptoms? I am just curious, I was told that valve seats drop when you get your truck too hot.
It was just the way it sounded when i started my truck. I had a loud ping/poping noise coming from the tail pipe. The truck has been hot before(not over heated, higher egts, never got over 1500 for more than a few seconds) from the added extras. It was weird as i just stopped at the bank to deposit some money and i had come back out and restarted my truck and sure as all it started making a rather odd noise that i had never herd. I then had 1 more stop and then home. But i shut the truck off and when i went to restart it, it made a familar noise(my old gas job truck when i had some valve issues on it) that kinda poping noise when a valve is sticking open or not seating all the way. I never shut the truck down hot( usually had to be 400* or less on my egt gague) but i figured that from getting hot and cold over the past 6 years of the extra power it was gonna happen one had.

Luke, so when you meen heat cycles, do you meen like after i run the truck for 6 trips kinda thing??

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM

I see, well I have a sound in my exhaust that sounds like the cylinder is being flooded with fuel, it only happens when it's warm, and only when the AC is off, my mileage has gone down quite a bit. I ordered injectors and hope this takes away the sound. My motor doesn't sound any different really. I will have my mechanic slap on the injectors and see what it does. He believes it's an injector that is sticking. My throttle at the track has stayed at 1100RPM after a run down the track several times so I am sure it's an injector.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 5.9 Blackout
I see, well I have a sound in my exhaust that sounds like the cylinder is being flooded with fuel, it only happens when it's warm, and only when the AC is off, my mileage has gone down quite a bit. I ordered injectors and hope this takes away the sound. My motor doesn't sound any different really. I will have my mechanic slap on the injectors and see what it does. He believes it's an injector that is sticking. My throttle at the track has stayed at 1100RPM after a run down the track several times so I am sure it's an injector.
Ya could be a stuck open a bit maybe. It doesnt sound like a dropped seat to me as mine was hard starting after i figured it out what it was. I only started it once after it happened so i think that reduced the damage. I also pulled my valve cover and started checking clearnace(adjustment on the valve lash) and number one exhaust valve was almost 1/8" plus gap so that gave me a pretty good idea of what happened to it.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:42 AM

I see. Yeah if mine where a valve seat I don't imagine it would go away at idle when I turn on the AC right? Like I said, I hear what sounds like a cylinder flooding with fuel, and a little rough idle. Once I turn on the AC it goes away, as soon as I turn it off, it comes back a couple of seconds later.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM

Ya that dont sound like a dropped seat to me. That sounds more like injecotor to me.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:16 PM

Does any one know what to retorque the head gasket down too after the heat cycles. I think im about due to get it done here. Any help would be perfect. Truck has been running excellent but i have 4 codes that keep coming up that my smarty will not keep cleared but truck runs and starts fine. I will post codeds later to see if anyone has any ideas