3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Having an idle gremlin, affects takeoff from stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Having an idle gremlin, affects takeoff from stop

Hey guys and gals, long time no talk!

Ok long ago Ive posted on some issues Ive had with my 04, its pushing 200k now and I wont get rid of it, but this issue has really becom an annoyance, it just hasnt went away. On the highway it runs great as it always has, strong, peppy, and happy to go! But when I come to a stop, have it idling, etc, it gets to acting strange, a slight miss with no rhyme (vid posted), and has been running "rich", as in the exhaust will lightly smoke, and I will get a stumble on takeoff. The pedal seems to die at the first sense of the clutch letting off, but immediately responds and all is fine, its only on takeoff, and intermittently at that. On a couple of occasions when Ive started the truck it has stumbled to 200rpms (thats right, 200!) where the truck will shake horribly and frankly its pretty scary, like the truck could fly to pieces at any moment. On a couple other occasions it has a hard miss (vid posted) with a puff of smoke on each hit. I have cleaned the iat sensor, torqued cross tubes, and cleaned map sensor to no noticeable change. APPS has been replaced twice. I add power service or stanadyne each fillup. I try to be meticulous with maintenance. This issues arise about around once a month, other times it acts just fine. If yall could please look at the vids and tell me if any have seen or heard this before, I'm desperate for the fix, as its become pretty annoying and sometimes embarrassing . Remember, it is an intermittent issue, it doesnt do it most of the time, and I cant project when it will. The truck runs pretty rich all the time now, and mileage has come down slightly, but not much. Thanks in advance you all

:25, :34, and 1:02 are the times to look at on #2 vid
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Long time no see. It sounds like it is an injector issue. Have you ever replaced them? I would pull them and send them to Don M at F1 to be tested. I used Tim Barber at TRE diesel. I had to do mine at 87,000 miles or so due to a drop in RP at idle.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 PM

It's possible it could be a bad FCA on the CP3.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:49 PM

Nope never replaced yet, was pushing them as far as possible. Would injectors act this intermittently? For the most part the truck runs fine, and my oil looks and smells good, no raised level whatsoever? Been wanting to get them done, but with it being 104* for the past 3 months Ive been using it more than the old Ford to get around.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM

Whats the best way to troubleshoot the fca? Been wanting to do the bag of parts, just dont have time anymore, they keep me enslaved to the oilfield now!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:08 PM

I would get a rough idle from time to time before injectors. I would just run the crap out of it and it would fix itself....LOL

No real good way to test it without hooking up to diagnostic equipment. You can unplug it, that will spike the RP to max. It's not a real good test. I would just replace it. The torx bits screws are fun to get out.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:13 PM

I almost forgot. A bad lift pump would cause this.
Do you still have the factory pump? Fuel pressure gauge? Mine would do this when it was on it's way out. It was very similar to what your truck is doing.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 AM

Running an air dog 100, 15-16 psi fuel pressure. I'd venture to say you're right on the fca, it's still stock. I will look into the bag of parts. Which one would y'all prefer as I'd like to go with a modded one? Is there one like Industrial injection that's better than the other? And are y'all using a hammer driver to get the torx screws out or is there a better method? don't wanna strip them.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 AM

Tap on them with a hammer first to loosen up the Loctite on them, then they should come out. Arson 3 is a better product from what I have been reading. I would just get a stock one from cummins and put it own. You don't really need that until you get up in the 100hp stix range. I am running Flux 1.6's with no issues on a stock CP3.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Rick,

Weird idling can be attributed to the FCA acting up.

I would change the FCA first since it's easy to do and not that expensive.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Thanks spooler and MikeyB, two names I like to see!! I wanna go with the modded fca mainly because at 200k now, Im sure the injectors wont be far away and I do plan to do 90s or 150s, and I will be running new fuel lines soon so I'd like to tackle everything I can short of changing cp3s. Fuel lines are getting pretty worn looking, just not leaking yet from what I can tell. So Arson 3 it will be

Mikey, have you had any fca issues?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 PM

I am running 75 hp injectors. You can get away with 90hp or Flux 1.8's with no problems. Maybe even Flux 2's with your 305 engine. I should have listen to Tim B. and went with Flux 1.8's.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:06 PM

I wish the whole gang of folks were back. It appears most folks have had their nose to the grind stone just trying to survive.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
I wish the whole gang of folks were back. It appears most folks have had their nose to the grind stone just trying to survive.
My life exactly...working on my new house, and between that and the oilfield Im not home as much as I'd like. But like a lost dog I found my way back to the great group here , still see alot of familiar names here, thats good!!

Its like yesterday I was getting all this cool stuff for the truck, now its getting back to redoing it all, as the miles have stacked on, got 140k on the clutch and turbo now, clutch holds strong but has seen better days shiftingwise
Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had to change my FCA last year because it was acting up. Also updated the APPS with a Timbo version as a preventative.

Quick Reply: Having an idle gremlin, affects takeoff from stop