3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

has anyone swaped a g56 to 48re

Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone swaped a g56 to 48re

Hi everyone I have only posted here a few times but I was wondering if anyone has swaped a g56 six speed to a 48re auto I would realy like to swap mine over but have been wondering what all would need to be changed could I just re-flash my ecu? or does the trans have its own ECU? Do I have to Change the steering coulium or can I add the parts needed? I am not worried at all about doing the labor myself I have no problem getting everything in there and hooked up my main concern is electronics I know the instument cluster is the same cause one time bully dog sent me a program and when I instaled it my gauses had P R N D 3 2 1 also my friend owns a wrecking yard so I think I can get a pretty fair price, by the way the truck is early 2007 5.9 slt quad cab 4x4 short bed, Has anybody seen this done or think that it can be done or is it a completely stupid idea. Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2008, 06:17 AM

I think it was on/in the DODGE CUMMIN forums there was a pretty complete write up on this last year.It was a NV5600 out and a HTS 48RE in.Nifty universal floor shifter,tips on how to make it shift correctly etc.www.cumminsforum.com I think it was here.Maybe someone else can chime in now.Was a good,pretty complete write up.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Why would you want to?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 AM

For lots of reasons I can think of.Faster,in some ways easier to repair,less effort driving some ways more dependable.I'd swap my nv5600 for a nice built auto in a flash.Well almost.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 AM

This makes no sense to me.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 AM

I would agree with the faster, as most guys at the dragstrip are sporting some sort of heavily modded auto. Also agree with the ease of everyday driving, but for the dependability issue, I don't necesarily think the 48RE is going to be any more dependable than the G-56... unless you drop some serious coin into it, which for much less you can be swinging a SBC DD capable of some wicked power.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 AM

It is going to add up really quick, especially if you are adding a performance trans. It will also nickle and dime you with issues unless you know what you are doing (if you did, I doubt you would have posted). Why don't you find one of the many that posted here that they hate their auto and trade trucks.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I special ordered my truck because I 'wanted' my 6 speed. I guess either you love it or hate it!!!

I know the clutch will have a huge flywheel where the tranny will have a flexplate. Big weight difference between the two. I'm guessing the cummins is internally balanced where the flywheel/flexplate is balanced independently. If not, you'd throw the balancing off of the engine.

For example, the 400 small block is externally balanced. Simply unbolting one for another would throw the engine balance to the wind!!!

Is is really worth it???

I looked into converting my truck from a srw to dually. Priced up my options. And I thought it would be cheaper (and easier) to convert my truck then buy an new one (mainly because I've got so much invested in my truck in aftermarket parts, and I really don't care for buying used and don't trust the new 6.7 yet). My point is...no matter what you've got budgeted ad some more for unforeseen obstacle. They always seem to popup no matter how planned out the conversion was.

Good luck!
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Personally, I love the 48re auto. Shifts and drives better than my previous truck with an Allison 1000. Only thing that would make mine better is an exhaust brake.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 AM

The reason I want to switch is sometimes traffic gets old with the G56, and when I let people drive my truck they do a horrible job of driving it, but also for racing reasons a auto is always faster and I have seen alot of dodges that have al kinds of stuff done to them with 5 or 6 speeds and they are running in the mid 13s to low 14s. I deffinatley like the g56 for towing cause I tow alot but for racing around it is hard to get out of the hole with the six speed I do think the g56 can shift pretty quick though my truck ran a 13.91 @ 103 with just a crazy lary, ts pressure box, and intake and exhaust, which isnt bad but as you can see it has good top end but it is hard to get out of the hole, if I decide to do the swap I can get everything in there hooked up no problem but I was wondering if anyone else has done it or if it uses a TCM or is the trans control built into the ECU so I am tring to figure out if I would need a re-flash or a new ecu or a tcm, or if you guys have heard of anybody running any decent times with a g56 let me know and maybe I will keep it. ( also how well are the g56,s holding up) Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 AM

There was a guy on here a while ago that had some real good times with a 6 standard (in the 12's I think), thought I was subscribed to that thread but I guess not, I can't find it, but he also had lotsa mods and (I think) a DD clutch.

Auto's will make faster times no doubt, but even just CL will fry a stocker, you'd need to spend a few thsand dollars on it before putting it in.

I wonder if you could try one of the new 6 spd autos? There's 2 of them available, the more HD one is only available when you order a cab and chassis, (or that's how it was when they first came out in 07).
Don't know much about them, but the 48RE deffinately has had it's share of problems.

BTW, take a minute to fill in your signature so we know about your truck.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:24 AM

The 48RE has proven its self to be a decent trans.Sloppy in the torque convertor but not much I would call "its share of problems" With mods look at the amount of torque its capable of handling! Lots more then Hemi's and such.Defintly has not been a troublesome auto.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a 04.5 6 speed to this current 06 auto last fall for a couple reasons but am not happy with the auto. First and for most my wife couldent drive the 6 speed and secondly because I was getting a loaded mega cab in the color I have always wanted. I have never been happy with this dumb auto. Ya its eisier to drive and perhaps a little faster but I dident spend all this money on a 1 ton truck to have a dragster I want it to pull my camper. If I wanted a dragster I would have bought one. My 04 had a small power adder on it but I rarely ever turned it on. I can tell ya that stock for stock this auto losses a LOT more power than the 6 speed did. I feel like I need a power adder just to make this truck run and pull like the other did factory. IF I thought my wife would never drive this truck I would consider meeting up with ya and swapping parts till both of us where happy but we are considering selling her Trailblazer and makeing this her daily driver. I dought she woul daprove of the exchange of tranies. I will be waching this thread to see how you turn out so keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the info I am still brain storming I am also thinking if anybody is interested in switching to a six speed truck I would also consider a trade or partial as long as it is a 04.5 or newer 5.9L. I am also still wondering about computer controled part of the 48re is built into the regular ECU or does it have its own TCM. Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 01:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where do you live. I'd be willing to trade even up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: has anyone swaped a g56 to 48re