3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard Starting '03

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Starting '03

Well, not long after solving one problem, another one pops up. About a week ago I posted how my new to me '03 3500 was cutting out when you'd give it much throttle. Turned out to be the lift pump and a FASS was added. As the lp was on the way out, the truck was beginning to start hard. Didn't think much of it, but after the FASS was added it has continued to get worse. Now, the truck won't even start. It ran fine on the way home from Atco on Friday, but on Saturday it just cranked and cranked. If I remember correctly, it almost seemed like it was idling unevening on Thursday too.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm looking at here? I did a search and hard starting problems seem to revolve around the lp's, injectors, or cp3. After just buying the truck though, I can't afford to start tossing new parts at it. Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

-Scott Ressler
Old 05-07-2006, 01:57 PM

From reading here and elswhere [ I've got a p pump , so do not look at these much] the vp pumps seem to go when the lp pump starve them for fuel .
But heres a link that should give you info on starting problums .

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/default.htm
LarryB's Dodge starting problems solved here.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:27 PM

It'll turn over fine, just won't light off

I also noticed the mpg computer was way off recently. When I first got the truck it was nearly spot on, but then it was showing like 25.5mpg. Does that have anything to do with the problem?

-Scott
Old 05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Banned

Amen Brother

Originally Posted by Srracingparts
It'll turn over fine, just won't light off

I also noticed the mpg computer was way off recently. When I first got the truck it was nearly spot on, but then it was showing like 25.5mpg. Does that have anything to do with the problem?

-Scott
I am currently experiencing the exact same thing. On DC thought it was injectors, changed one, then started, then would not start again, they suspected contamination, now with six new injectors, still will not start, now have six new injectors free as contamination was not the issue. I said I think it is the Injector pump on the second day in the shop. They said injector pump tested fine on the second day, now 15 days later and they tell me that they think it is the injector pump (CP3).....I said who knew???? Now DC Engineering will not release a new injector pump until the techs conduct further testing. DC seems to be trying to same coin by micro managing the service department. In my mind, it just cost them nearly 6000 for injectors alone.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:44 PM

WSA308, you make me feel so good Honestly though, thanks for your input. At least if it is the cp3, you got a new set of injectors out of it. My '03 is out of warranty so I can't afford to be experimenting. Especially after I bought a house on Thursday, when the truck was still running. You know, I thought it would have been happy that I bought it a garage to sleep in.

-Scott
Old 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM

Sorry about your problem. Did you try opening the filter drain and turn key see if you get fuel at that point? With the recent fuel system problems it sounds like maybe lift pump. How many miles are on the truck?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by longbed
Sorry about your problem. Did you try opening the filter drain and turn key see if you get fuel at that point? With the recent fuel system problems it sounds like maybe lift pump. How many miles are on the truck?
The truck has 125,000 miles on it. The lift pump was just replaced with a FASS setup too. It's getting plenty of pressure to the CP3, but from there, I'm not sure. I'm starting to think that despite the fact that people say the CP3 doesn't burn up from a lift pump failure, it may damage it and cause it to go out in a shorter period of time.

-Scott
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Srracingparts
The truck has 125,000 miles on it. The lift pump was just replaced with a FASS setup too. It's getting plenty of pressure to the CP3, but from there, I'm not sure. I'm starting to think that despite the fact that people say the CP3 doesn't burn up from a lift pump failure, it may damage it and cause it to go out in a shorter period of time.

-Scott
How many miles since the LP was changed? Mine made it about 17K miles before the CP3 puked. If the LP does fail the CP3 will not be adequately lubed causing the CP3 to fail prematurely...cause and effect, plain and simple. If the injectors are not push'n fuel, it has to be the CP3. It should be a fairly simple in expensive test....come to think of it...it would be cheeper to take it to a Cummins dealer than to DC since you are off warranty anyways.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by WSA308
How many miles since the LP was changed? Mine made it about 17K miles before the CP3 puked. If the LP does fail the CP3 will not be adequately lubed causing the CP3 to fail prematurely...cause and effect, plain and simple. If the injectors are not push'n fuel, it has to be the CP3. It should be a fairly simple in expensive test....come to think of it...it would be cheeper to take it to a Cummins dealer than to DC since you are off warranty anyways.
It hasn't been many miles, not even 500 I'd say. Are you talking about just checking the pressure after the CP3 or seeing if the injectors are firing?

Thanks

-Scott
Old 05-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Check your rail pressure. This will tell you a lot. Might see if anyone can bench test the CP3...since there are mods out there now. If yours is bad....might look into a stage I or II from Floor It...might call them and see if they can test your CP3....

Just make sure you FASS is giving good pressure......sounds like something in the engine that is messing up on this one........keep us posted.....