3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Hard Start and violent shake- Help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hard Start and violent shake- Help??

I have an 06 megacab diesel with about 7100 miles on it. One cool morning (55-60 degrees) I went to start the truck and it was not cool enough to cause the wait-to-start to engage but when I started the truck it idled hard. I could really feel the vibrations in the floorboards where my feet were. I figured it was because of the cool weather and lack of pre-heat from the intake heater. So it went away later on down the road. Truck ran fine for a couple of weeks. A couple of days ago, similar cool morning and the wait-to-start came on, I started the truck, and the idle was fine. I let the truck idle through the warming process (watching the amperage draw change on the dash), and when it was finished (approx. 3 mins) still no problems with idle. I got maybe 1500-2000 feet down the road and as I was braking to a stop light the same violent shake came out of nowhere. I pulled over and put the truck in neutral and the vibes continued. I reved to about 1000 rpms and it was more violent, but past about 1500 rpms it seemed to clear. I limped it down the road and it seemed to clear up. It has been in cooler weather than this. No matter what the temp outside is I always allow the truck to idle for at least a minute before driving unless it is running through the heating cycle and then it is longer. Has anyone else had this problem??????
Old 10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by hardtarget870
I have an 06 megacab diesel with about 7100 miles on it. A couple of days ago, similar cool morning and the wait-to-start came on, I started the truck, and the idle was fine. I let the truck idle through the warming process (watching the amperage draw change on the dash), and when it was finished (approx. 3 mins) still no problems with idle. I got maybe 1500-2000 feet down the road and as I was braking to a stop light the same violent shake came out of nowhere.
Welcome to the group, HT. Fill in your signiture so we all know what you have.

As for your truck's predisposition for violence, did it shake out any codes? While you are at it check your oil level to see if it is higher than it is supposed to be (leaking injector). Does it smell like diesel?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 AM

I have not had the truck checked for codes, but will be leaving it with the dealer if the problem persists. I am on the way out the door to check the oil right now though. Thanks for the help FMB.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 AM

Mine started doing the same thing after i started using a fuel additive, power service and MMO mix, worked great until it got cool out then i started and idled real rough until it warmed up.

Rick
Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by hardtarget870
I have not had the truck checked for codes,
Ya don't go have your truck checked for codes, you do it yourself. You are a CTD owner now. You don't just let any ya-hoo put their paws on it.

Put the key in the ignition,
Turn the key On, Off, On, Off, On and leave it on.

When I say on, I don't mean start, just to the 'run' position. Don't start the truck.

The codes will show up in the odometer starting with the letter P. Write them down and either go to https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1 or http://tinyurl.com/bvsp6 or just bring it back here.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FMB
Ya don't go have your truck checked for codes, you do it yourself. You are a CTD owner now. You don't just let any ya-hoo put their paws on it.

Put the key in the ignition,
Turn the key On, Off, On, Off, On and leave it on.

When I say on, I don't mean start, just to the 'run' position. Don't start the truck.

The codes will show up in the odometer starting with the letter P. Write them down and either go to https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1 or http://tinyurl.com/bvsp6 or just bring it back here.
Yaeh!!!! That's what we are here for. I like this "don't let just any Ya-hoo put their paws on it"..... Alot!!!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM

Is it normal when shutting down to have a violent shake of the engine? I check my codes like described above and got one code- P2509 (ECM/PCM power input signal intermittent). Should I be concern? Sorry if I am stealing your thread , not trying too just looking for a quick answer.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Is it normal when shutting down to have a violent shake of the engine? I check my codes like described above and got one code- P2509 (ECM/PCM power input signal intermittent). Should I be concern? Sorry if I am stealing your thread , not trying too just looking for a quick answer.
I think peoples definition of violent shake is off..

When you turn the truck off you will feel a little shake and you may heard a squeak, this is because its a diesel motor with a lot of compresion and power, remember this isnt a gas motor, nor is it a powerstroke or duramax diesel
Old 10-10-2006, 12:30 PM

The Shakes

Thundercloud, yes they shake when shut off, normal, like nfsommer says.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:08 PM

Thats what I thought I just wanted to be sure. My previous truck was a 2002 ***D Powerjoke and I am sure the compression is alot more on the Cummins.