3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Greasing your sealed front hubs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All buttoned up

Wrapped up the front end project on my truck.
Couple lessons learned.
*Get a ball joint press. Just do it.
*Be sure to re-install the dust shield BEFORE you bolt the hub/bearing back on and torque it all down.

Greaser1 was spot on. It was obvious the Delo #2 was the grease that often comes in these bearings. The Valvoline equivalent I found at NAPA was the same stuff that is in there. HOWEVER!, whether you are going to add grease or not, take the abs sensor out and look inside with a flash light to confirm that the bearing is actually greased from the manufacturer. One of my new bearings was bone dry. One took about 35 pumps, the other (dry one) took 75 pumps. No wonder folks have early failures.

Thanks to Greaser1 for taking the time and starting this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Greaser1 (03-25-2021)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I had the Dynatrac conversion done but my stock sealed ones were fine @ 67K and are living in a guy's truck now. He was in financial straits.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would be the worst that can happen if you mix a different grease? I put a high temp red bearing grease in mine. Also I didn't wipe the excess grease from the abs sensor hole. Will this effect the sensor? Before I put the grease in I could spin the will with no effort and it would continue to spin for a sec afterward. Now it takes a very mild effort to turn it and it stops spinning almost immediately . Only put maybe 3-4 pumps of grease in the hole.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:11 AM

Why didnt it work in your 01?
Old 03-25-2021, 05:18 AM

Originially posted by CDubya
"Wrapped up the front end project on my truck.
Couple lessons learned.
*Get a ball joint press. Just do it.
*Be sure to re-install the dust shield BEFORE you bolt the hub/bearing back on and torque it all down.

Greaser1 was spot on. It was obvious the Delo #2 was the grease that often comes in these bearings. The Valvoline equivalent I found at NAPA was the same stuff that is in there. HOWEVER!, whether you are going to add grease or not, take the abs sensor out and look inside with a flash light to confirm that the bearing is actually greased from the manufacturer. One of my new bearings was bone dry. One took about 35 pumps, the other (dry one) took 75 pumps. No wonder folks have early failures.

Thanks to Greaser1 for taking the time and starting this thread."

sorry it took so long to get back to you. Now that you have had some time running those hubs, how is it working out for you? I know SKB, who makes the NAPA high quality hubs has been putting in anti theft 5 sided bolts to hold in the ABS sensor in. I cut slots in them and use a screwdriver to remove. Then I install the old bolt from the original hub. There are also 5 sided torques bits available from McMasters that will work to get them out. I cant remember the part number right now.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn Miller
What would be the worst that can happen if you mix a different grease? I put a high temp red bearing grease in mine. Also I didn't wipe the excess grease from the abs sensor hole. Will this effect the sensor? Before I put the grease in I could spin the will with no effort and it would continue to spin for a sec afterward. Now it takes a very mild effort to turn it and it stops spinning almost immediately . Only put maybe 3-4 pumps of grease in the hole.

3 or 4 pumps wont do diddly. The sensor is holographic which runs off of magnetic pulses. Doesnt matter what is around the sensor, it will read. If you are talking about Lucas red and tacky, that grease is junk. I used it in my spindle setup for the 12 to 16000 lb axles and when I pulled off the inspection cover, it flowed out like oil. It was black as hell. Garbage. I also saw where a guy used that stuff in his bicycle bearings....it did the same thing. That stuff is total garbage. I am sure someone is going to come back with how good it is but that is my experience with it. In a bearing hub synthetic is the ticket and will blend with any grease without causing problems counteracting. I have it down to the pumps now. 26 pumps in a 1500, 35 pumps in a 2500 or 3500. Repeat at 50k if using synthetic but reduce your pumps to 12 and 19 respectively. I'm bumping at 300k on my truck with the original hubs. Unheard of!!