3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Getting hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:10 PM
PCM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Getting hard to start

My '06 RAM 2500 auto CTD is about to turn 35K miles. I maintain it way beyond the book, keep it garaged, and it is only used for towing a 9k lb fiver RV. I changed the fuel filter every 6 months/6k miles and drain the seperator regularly.
When the truck had 19k miles on it, the #2 injector was replaced due to excessive smoke at start-up. I only went one thousand miles before the smoke started again. So the Dodge field rep had the dealer replace ALL the injectors saying that a certain build run of trucks had gotten a bad batch of injectors. Since the injector replacement, I'm always sure to avoid unnecessary idling and keep the engines rpm's above 1500. The truck has run fine since and I have NO smoke at start-up.
So here is the problem: it is becoming hard to start compared to in the past. It will always start right up after it has sat 3 to 6 weeks. But once it is started-up and shut down, the next time it is started, say within a 2-12 hour period, it will crank longer, turn over, then imediately die. The next crank is about as long, then it starts and continues to run. NO smoke once started.
Also, about the same time I noticed this starting issue, I starting getting a strong smell in the cab. Something of a oil smell. I know that subject has been discussed here before. Don't know if they are related.
I'm all ears guys. I can't imagine injectors - AGAIN! I'm trying to get some input before I take it to the dealer.
Thanks in advance. Phillip
Old 03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Do you have any codes?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t224833.html

Look at your battery terminals, clean if necessary. Follow the main ground, check that connection out as well.

Let us know.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:02 PM
PCM

I do not get anything by recycling the key 3 times. However, I do get a guage check and some codes when I turn the key to on while holding the trip reset. The codes are: S113, .264, C447.
The batteries are original, the terminals on both look spotless. It cranks strong - not a slow crank, jst a long crank.
Thanks. Phillip
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
IIRC, there was a long crank TSB out a while back... the dealer would flash the computer with more current software.

It could be other things... leaking relief valve, CP3 going out, HG...

Have you tried spraying WD 40 in the intake to assist cranking? If it cranks fine like that, but not with normal cranking, it could be an injector.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
PCM

Haven't tried the WD-40. It seems to have a long crank only after its warm. Always cranks right-up after sitting for more thn 12 hours or so.
I read the TSB about long cranking. Sounds like it applies to trucks with manual tranny AND only in cold ambient temps. 80 degrees here today it it happend twice.
I have a good dealer mehanic 40 miles away. Just rying to get some ideas and info to pass onto to him to avoid mutiple trips. phillip
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by PCM
Haven't tried the WD-40. It seems to have a long crank only after its warm. Always cranks right-up after sitting for more thn 12 hours or so.
I read the TSB about long cranking. Sounds like it applies to trucks with manual tranny AND only in cold ambient temps. 80 degrees here today it it happend twice.
I have a good dealer mehanic 40 miles away. Just rying to get some ideas and info to pass onto to him to avoid mutiple trips. phillip
a recent poster said that the new formula of WD40 is non flammable...might want to check on it