3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel Filter change instructions for all the newbies (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great procedure. I'd just like to add, as horsehauer said, that cap says max torque 25 ft/lbs. If you tighten it this tight good luck getting it off. There is not much pressure in the tank. I tighten mine by hand as tight as I can.

Thanks for great pictures.

Pete
Old 10-06-2006, 01:01 AM

HorseHauler -

T case is easy.

I unbolt the skid plate. Leave one bolt loose and swing it out of the way.

Remove TOP plug first. If you remove bottom drain plug first and can't get top one off you are in deep poop.

Remove bottom plug and drain. I drain into my oil change pan.

Replace bottom plug, refill with your favorite tranny fluid thru the top plug until it comes out.

Replace top plug. Drive a few miles and check fluid level.

Pretty much same deal as the axles. Takes about 20 minutes and 2 beers. I think it takes a torx or hex bolt thingy.

Nicely done on the fuel filter instructions!
Steve
Old 10-06-2006, 08:21 AM

Great post on the fuel filter. I have been wondering about all the service that needs to be done on these trucks and I hear the cost to have someone else do it is scary. I hope someone can "sticky" this for future reference and if anyone can create similar posts of all the other routine maintenance that would be so helpful to all us new guys too.
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:45 AM

What me and a few friends do when we change the fuel filter is fill the filter housing with trans fluid before we turn the key on. Supposed to clean the injectors and system down stream. Any idea if this is true?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:01 AM

Very nice post!! Great Pictures!! Very helpful for many I'm sure. Thanks!!!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:27 AM

Thanks and great timing. I'm doing mine tomorrow, just turned over 10k this week.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:46 AM

very nice, thank you
Old 10-06-2006, 01:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Excellent post!

I also like to clean the area directly above and around the filter before getting started. I'm paranoid I might knock some dirt loose that could fall in the open canister.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 PM

Good point Jwooden. I usually do that too, but must of forgotten to add it.

Originally Posted by Racerx296
What me and a few friends do when we change the fuel filter is fill the filter housing with trans fluid before we turn the key on. Supposed to clean the injectors and system down stream. Any idea if this is true?
This is not a wise thing to do. In the OLDER diesels, this was ok but ATF does NOT have the lubrication good at all for our systems
Old 10-06-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by FishingFather
Great post on the fuel filter. I have been wondering about all the service that needs to be done on these trucks and I hear the cost to have someone else do it is scary. I hope someone can "sticky" this for future reference and if anyone can create similar posts of all the other routine maintenance that would be so helpful to all us new guys too.
Thanks.
hmmm maybe a thread rating would get this to the next step for a sticky
Old 10-06-2006, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great thread. Wish I would have seen it before the first time I had to change a Cummins filter. Looks a lot easier than the Channellock pliers I had to work with on the shoulder of the interstate... Twice.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:22 PM

Let me just add this bit of info to these excellent instructions and GREAT PHOTOS....It cost me $78 to get this done by my dealer! I almost passed out...well never again.

Also I will say that the instructions alone are fine, but the pictures make this a real winner. A picture is worth a thousand words applies for sure..Thank you HorseHauler for this nice piece of work.

Bob
Old 10-06-2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by GoodoleBob
Let me just add this bit of info to these excellent instructions and GREAT PHOTOS....It cost me $78 to get this done by my dealer! I almost passed out...well never again.
$78? Wow. Excellent post, HH. I did mine last week and printed some text from a few posts on here to bring outside. I did mine under the carport on a cloudy day, so I used my flashlight. I was too lazy to run downstairs and grab my droplight. Excellent pics, too. This should be copied to the tech forum as it's very well written, too.

Nice job!
Old 10-06-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by LongRanger
Many thanks to Horse Hauler, I will be going through this in a week or two. Good point about the possibility of getting lint in the canister from wiping it out. You could blast it out with an aerosol product like brake cleaner, and for some strange reason napkins from most fast food restaurants are lint free.
I attached the same size (clear)hose to my wet vac and vaccumed out the bottom of the "can", clean as a whistle!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 PM

I'm getting teary eyed here, THANKS GUYS!

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter change instructions for all the newbies (with pics)