3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel additives

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lubrication quality is a serious issue with rotary and common rail system. This thread has a link to a Bosch presentation to CARB on the subject. It seems that in the US it is fools who don't add lubrication to their fuel!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=58736
Old 09-23-2006, 06:42 PM

I use 16oz of Power Service Diesel Kleen along with 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per tank. I have always been skeptical about additives and what they do or don't do. I have seen claims of people using this combination of additives and noting a 1mpg increase in fuel economy. Since I've always recorded my mileage and gallons required at fill up, I had a good record to base any findings from using the combination of PS and MMO. So, I decided to spend the money and buy the two products and mix them according and added the 24oz mixture to a full tank of fuel. About 10 miles into the tank, I noticed that the injectors were not making as much noise as normal and that’s a positive score in my book. About 50 miles into the tank, I see that the overhead is reading higher than normal by 1.1mpg. My daily commute is the same and I did not change my driving habits for the test. But the end result at fill up with a hand calculation provided another positive score. The mileage did increase by 1.05mpg with no other changes. I used the mix during the next 5 tanks and the mileage continued to stay at +1mpg better. I decided a reverse test was in order so I stopped using the mix. Roughly 50 miles into a fresh tank of fuel, the injectors went back to their normal clattering and the mileage calculated at the next fill up was down .8mpg. The following tank was down another .3mpg and the third tank without the mix put me back at my original mileage figures before using the mix. I filled up and went back to using the mix. The injectors quieted down and the mileage came back to +1 again.

In the end, I like the stuff and I fully believe it works to lubricate the fuel system with the added benefit of increasing the fuel mileage.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 06RAMCTD
I use 16oz of Power Service Diesel Kleen along with 8oz of Marvel Mystery Oil per tank. I have always been skeptical about additives and what they do or don't do. I have seen claims of people using this combination of additives and noting a 1mpg increase in fuel economy. Since I've always recorded my mileage and gallons required at fill up, I had a good record to base any findings from using the combination of PS and MMO. So, I decided to spend the money and buy the two products and mix them according and added the 24oz mixture to a full tank of fuel. About 10 miles into the tank, I noticed that the injectors were not making as much noise as normal and that’s a positive score in my book. About 50 miles into the tank, I see that the overhead is reading higher than normal by 1.1mpg. My daily commute is the same and I did not change my driving habits for the test. But the end result at fill up with a hand calculation provided another positive score. The mileage did increase by 1.05mpg with no other changes. I used the mix during the next 5 tanks and the mileage continued to stay at +1mpg better. I decided a reverse test was in order so I stopped using the mix. Roughly 50 miles into a fresh tank of fuel, the injectors went back to their normal clattering and the mileage calculated at the next fill up was down .8mpg. The following tank was down another .3mpg and the third tank without the mix put me back at my original mileage figures before using the mix. I filled up and went back to using the mix. The injectors quieted down and the mileage came back to +1 again.

In the end, I like the stuff and I fully believe it works to lubricate the fuel system with the added benefit of increasing the fuel mileage.
So if my math is correct you are getting about 36 extra miles per tank @ 15 mpg that would be a savings in the range of 6.50 How much does it cost to treat a tankfull ?
Old 09-23-2006, 06:50 PM
jka

06RAMCTD........I thought the the motor sounded quieter after the Power Service too, but then I thought it was all in my imagination. Good to hear someone else has the same opinion.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RAMCTD

Thanks for that write up. I don't know that that has convinced me to buy the stuff, but that is the kind of real world practical assessment that I was looking for.

I'd also like to hear from high mileage truck owners who DID NOT run the additives to give a report, good or bad.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I only have just over 6400 miles now but have been using the PS with most of my fill ups. I drive a pretty regular path every week and keep a detailed record of my mileage. I do notice it runs slightly better and the mileage does go up slightly as well when I use the PS. I haven't noticed the engine being any quieter but I have not really listened for it either. I have also tried the BG brand of Diesel treatment with lubricant and did not see any difference between the BG stuff and the Power Service stuff. I'll stick with the PS and probably try the MMO to the mix and see what happens.

The way I see it, the extra lubrication can only help and not hurt. (giggle)

Call me a fool, but I will keep using it.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by herb
So if my math is correct you are getting about 36 extra miles per tank @ 15 mpg that would be a savings in the range of 6.50 How much does it cost to treat a tankfull ?
Your math is spot on......

The mixture of the PS (16oz) and MMO (8oz) comes out to $2.92 per application. I purchase both items in gallon containers and mix them accordingly in a 2 liter bottle. I then store the mix (24oz) in quart, long neck bottles for easy pour into the filler neck.

Cost wise, using the mix does save a little bit of cash by the increase in fuel economy.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:42 PM

I worry about my lubrication factor in my pumps and the rest of the fuel system waaaaaaaaaaay more than that extra mpg.... but sure i'll take that extra benefit of mileage...
Old 09-23-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running Power Service for over 54,000 miles. I originally bought the white anti-gell for extreme cold (for Delaware) and got trouble free starts as low as 4F without plugging in. I tried the silver in the summer and experienced slightly better mpg (.5-1.0 mpg) and a quieter running motor. I'm sold on the stuff.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 PM

I use it 95% of the time ( especially if I get the ulsd). If I can't find the silver I get the white, & Ditto on the 1 mpg extra. I feel it's worth the extra $$'s. I keep the PS, a funnel, some paper towels, and big pump jug of the alcohol based hand sanitizer in a covered plastic storage box in the bed. Getting fuel has become kind of like a hobby!
Old 09-24-2006, 12:55 AM

Do you think PS would seperate out in a storage tank, or mix into the solution? I add it to a 300 gallon container that never gets mixed up except for any minute thermal currents.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 AM

Add the PS before you fill the tank just to be sure
Old 09-24-2006, 10:41 AM

Amalgamated additive

I used Stanadyne when I first purchased my truck for the first year. I then read about the amalgamated product on TDR and have been using it ever since. I do watch my mileage every tank but have never done testing like others have posted. I live in the New England area and mainly started using these products for winter gelling and lubrication. I have not had problems with either. This was my first diesel so I cannot speak on how it would be without its use as I have not experience without either. I have had good luck with the TDR amalgamated product and will stick with it.

Purchased in a 5-gallon jug it works out to around $2.20 per tank to add 12ounces. Comes in a nice plastic 5 gallon jug that can be used after product gone for other things.

www.amalgamatedinc.com

Not affiliated in anyway. Just read about them on TDR and gave it a try.

Jeff
Old 09-24-2006, 12:34 PM
wap

I use 12-16 oz of ps and 4-6 of mmo. I cant comment on milage cause the way I drive it sucks anyway. I also dont know if it quieted anything down either cause my truck is kinda loud anyway. BUT I can say that it gives me a little piece of mind, cause I am hopin it will help my injectors and fuel system in general last longer. I use it more as preventative maintnace
Old 09-24-2006, 12:46 PM

Seems i read Cummins discouraged using additives in the fuel ?

Quick Reply: Fuel additives