3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front pinion seal replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front pinion seal replacement question

I have noticed my front pinion seal is starting to leak. I could take it in and pay the $100 but the seal is probably $20 and I don't know if I want to chance some gorilla taking shortcuts and messing it up. I was reading the manual and it says to take out the propeller shaft (OK) it then says to take out the hub bearings and axle shafts (HUH!) then measure rotating torque. This isn't my first pinion seal replacement but it will be my first on one of these Dodges...

Is it really necessary to remove the bearings and axle shafts? I really doubt it is but just thought I would check with anyone who has done one. I figured I would remove the prop shaft and then jack up the front, measure rotating torque, put the front end back down, unbolt the flange and remove, change seal, reinstall flange, put front back up in air and measure rotating torque.... Anything amiss?

I don't really see the need to remove the bearings and hubs unless I've missed something?