3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Ford 7.3L water pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 7.3L water pump

Hi guys,
I know this is highly irregular, but I know some of you have previously owned Ford 7.3L trucks. My buddy has an '03 w/ 195K on it. Leaving his home, and still in the resid. neighborhood, the water pump made a terrible racket, froze up, started burning the belt, and then detonated. He said it split the casing and barfed out ball-bearings, but the fan didn't go thru the radiator. He had it towed to the dealer, and they told him it would take 14 hrs shop-time, and the cost, including new pump, belt, and tensioner would be $2300. Further inspection revealed the pump damaged the timing cover when it grenaded. The revised bill is $3800. The dealer said they would give him fleet prices and work on the hr. charges (he bought the truck there), and the revised new bill is $2800.
These prices seem crazy to me. Has anyone had to replace a pump, and what did it cost? I've never owned a ford truck, so don't participate in their forums. But I trust you guys, so thought I'd ask. Thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealers are always expensive. Get your tools out and get to work. Even if you find more damage, the dealer bill would only get worse.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:34 PM

that does sound like a lot but when i had my 7.3 my water pump went out i changed it not to bad but cost was 300.00 and a new t stat. i have no idea what the timing cover cost is but i sure the dealer is about 95.00 an hour. if you have the time i would do it my self.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by mtman86
Hi guys,
I know this is highly irregular, but I know some of you have previously owned Ford 7.3L trucks. My buddy has an '03 w/ 195K on it. Leaving his home, and still in the resid. neighborhood, the water pump made a terrible racket, froze up, started burning the belt, and then detonated. He said it split the casing and barfed out ball-bearings, but the fan didn't go thru the radiator. He had it towed to the dealer, and they told him it would take 14 hrs shop-time, and the cost, including new pump, belt, and tensioner would be $2300. Further inspection revealed the pump damaged the timing cover when it grenaded. The revised bill is $3800. The dealer said they would give him fleet prices and work on the hr. charges (he bought the truck there), and the revised new bill is $2800.
These prices seem crazy to me. Has anyone had to replace a pump, and what did it cost? I've never owned a ford truck, so don't participate in their forums. But I trust you guys, so thought I'd ask. Thanks
Not as easy as a Cummins,but its not that difficult that a DYI guy would have trouble.Those prices are are just too silly to even consider. Buy the parts a case of beer and make it a fun day..
Old 04-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never owner ownerd a Ford, but I agree with everyone who commented. Typically water pumps and other engine add ons are designed to be romoved in a systematic manner. Grab a case of beer and make a saturday out of it as you'll propably need a full day. With changing the timing cover, you will most likely have to pull the radiator and the intercooler (if the truck has one) as well, for mare access.

In my opinion a shop charging anything more than $800 for this repair is ridiculous.

JR
Old 04-22-2010, 01:16 PM

Compared to other vehicles, the 7.3L water pump is a little more difficult but there is absolutely no way I would EVER pay somebody anything even CLOSE to $2800 to replace the water pump and timing cover. That is probably the most ridiculous price I have ever heard of for something that simple. And 14 hrs? I've changed a 7.3L water pump in about an hour, and I thought that was slow.