3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

First time towing with gauges....surprised

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:51 PM
zog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time towing with gauges....surprised

I finally got a change to tow our 5th wheeler after I installed the boost pyro and trans temp gauges. I expected highr readings, though the outside temperature was a moderate 85 degrees.

Boost never went over 20, even up hill....from a stoplight, I found that 10 pounds seemd to put in into a good power band....good acceleration and strong towing. Easy towing at 60 mph used about 8 pounds.

trans temp never got over 160 or so, though I expected to see it go up to 200 based on what everyone else has indicated. Most of the time it was less than 120...I have the sender in the pan

The pyro (post turbo) never hit above 800, no matter what. Funny thing...when in 3rd gear the temp would go to 550 ot 600 degrees...soon as it would shift into 4th, the temp would run up to 750 or 800 and ride there very steadily....seemed to me that the higher gear and lower rpm would DROP the pyro...but it was just the opposite....

I sure wish I knew more about diesels so I could understand everything it is telling me....
Old 06-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Tire Hater

Higher RPM means more air flowing faster out of the engine, so less EGT's
Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 PM

Strange...all of your readings seems low. Except maybe the tranny .
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep in mind that, according to his post, the pyro is "post-turbo". So add some ~150 to ~300 degrees to his readings (?).
Also, the trans sender being in the pan will not read the hottest of the temps. The hottest temps are in the line feeding the heat exchanger. (If I remember correctly).

Just something to consider.
Rich.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just added a Boost and EGT as well as a Tourqu Dog. It is amaizing how much a flip of the swich on the box efects EGT and boost numbers. The only thing that has me conserned it eh EGT. Even empty if I dont wach it the EGT will jump to 1500. I figured empty 1350 mayby 1400 would be tops but the one time I realy romped on it on the high setting it almost pegged out at 1500. I abought pooped myself and imediatly backed out of it. I have to wach it close when accelerating to pass someone in 6th gear because it will get up there fast if I dont respect the throttle. We will see Wednesday morning what the temps do towing. If needbe I will just run with the box off. I hope to be able to use the 50 hp setting though. I will be towing a 24 foot enclosed car trailer 2000 miles round trip threw the Colorado Rockies with 6 ATVs and 6 adaults and everything we need to suvive a week in the mountains. Hopefully I can use the 50 hp setting but if not the truck pulls great stock.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 PM

my 03' is a CA 235hp with the x-moniter and the edge ez with 12000k trailer up hill it only ran 770 EGT temp I kind of wonder if that was a low reading. (Edge ez was set on level 4, 70 hp and 220 torque.)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Thought the auto trans temp probe to be accurate was suppose to be in the return line.Egt reading POST turbo seems a waste of a gauge.If that reading was HIGH ever it would be scary!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM

It's funny that you guys bring this up.....My early '04 HO, 6 speed (W/Edge EZ, banks exhaust, TAG, AFE filter, AMSOIL front to back) towing a 10K 5th wheel never got over 1000 degrees. Is this normal??

The probe is in the exhaust manifold (is that pre or post?)
Old 06-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Thats PRE were it should be.Be thankful its running that cool.You have room to grow. But if your probe was POST that might be 700 or who knows!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:16 PM

Mine, bone stock for the time being, will hit 1250° uphill, WOT in 6th @ about 30psi of boost. Max boost I've seen is 33psi really stomping on it.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:19 PM

my fueling is stock, and i peak boost at 25-26psi and pyro at a little over 1100°f with 5" pipes and bhaf
Old 06-22-2005, 12:12 PM

just for reference: pre-turbo egt=300-600 flat, stop and go......7-900+ unloaded, steep hill and moderate lead foot......have not towed yet (just put the gauges in) boost is 5-10 in city driving, up to 25+ up the steep hill and moderate lead foot......my tranny temp sensor is installed in the cooling tube just before the cooler and i get 160-190 in stop and go traffic. have yet to be on the fwy for an extended drive, so don't know those readings yet. truck is SO 235 california, bone stock except for the gauges........
Old 06-22-2005, 12:22 PM
zog

Originally posted by Hounddog
Thought the auto trans temp probe to be accurate was suppose to be in the return line.Egt reading POST turbo seems a waste of a gauge.If that reading was HIGH ever it would be scary!
I really get concerned when some people criticize others...I don't believe that putting a pyro post-turbo is a WASTE of a gauge. I emailed Cummins directly and that is what they recommended. I understand that the temp reading is lower, but I also know that 1100 degrees post turbo is getting pretty hit, SO, the gauge works fine for me and it is definitely NOT a WASTE. The trans temp sender is NOT SUPPOSED to be in the return line...it is where ever I wish to put it....many folks put it in the pan, and GENO and other vendors specifically recommend it there....
Old 06-22-2005, 12:55 PM

As I've STATED before on one issue now on TWO issues.Until the 3rd generation forum I never EVER read on ANY disel forum to install a EGT probe POST turbo! It was asked a time or two in the 1st generation forum I was on for years but was scolded as being a NOT accurate reading.Why would anyone want to now the temp of a object(exhaust temp)DOWNSTREAM of it in a pipe? Also MANY posts about the PROPER place for a accurate reading of the trans temp and in the pan was not it.I never have had a temp gauge for auto but I know I read MANY posts about it needing to be in a line for a proper reading.If I was checking the temp of my household HOT water why would I look for a proper reading at the shower head at the far end of the house.One of these days someones gonna cook a piston while punched up hill pulling something while trying to figure out if the EGT gauge is reading 800 but is it really 1100 or maybe its 1400.Put it where you want to but everytime I read a post that states MY EGT NEVER GETS OVER 800 DEGREES pulling 10k up a 6% grade and OH by the way its post turbo! Chezz.I get the impression it was installed in a spot due to ease of installation and not for accuracy.I've been playing with these trucks and forums since 1993 and just not till the last year or so has even POST turbo come up.Kind of the same thing about the probe in the trans pan.Just none of the racers/sled pullers,ones that tow heavy a lot for years ever put those probes there.To me common sense would want those items nearest the heat source not farther away.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:13 PM

B-D exhaust brake for the 03's have a predrilled hole for the sensor post turbo.

Quick Reply: First time towing with gauges....surprised