3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

FASS Install w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FASS Install w/ pics

I hope this will help others as they face the dreaded lift pump failure. Happened to me last week, a little difficult getting parts over the Christmas weekend but I was home anyway.

I returned from a trip and left the airport, drove about 5 miles and the truck quit. It would start and run for a few seconds. I found the P0628 code (voltage at lift pump) after I had it towed home. Checked with the dealer, the person I talked to said it's not covered under warranty (93,000 miles). I could have pressed and probably got it covered, but since the fix is an in-tank pump I decided to go ahead and get an aftermarket pump.

I did a lot of research and finally settled on the FASS kit. It uses the existing filter assembly (that has the fuel heater) and readily available filters, plus it has a 6 year warranty. It was also the most readily available.

I got it from Geno's Garage, great service and shipped the same day.

Once I got the kit, the biggest challenge was where to mount the pump. The kit comes with a nice mounting bracket and bolts to mount on the bottom of the frame rail. If I did this though, the pump would hang below the rails, not a place I wanted to put it. I checked out several other alternatives and finally decided to mount it using an angle iron on the base of the cab.

I drilled two holes through the storage compartment under the rear seat.

Then mounted the angle iron and top of the mounting bracket.

Then I mounted the pump.

It just fits between the lower body and the parking brake cables.

Remove the old pump suction line from the top of the fuel tank. On my short bed QC I could reach it from the rear wheel well. I was able to disconnect it pressing in on the blue tabs, others suggest using a cable tie to hold the tabs in. You can get it off though. The blue tab on the tank outlet needs to come off too.

Remove the old pump, there are four allen screws that connect it to the filter housing. They're 5 mm, I didn't have that size but a 3/6 allen socket worked just as well. The top two I was able to get to from the top of the engine compartment. The lower left I got through the wheel well. The inner bottom was a $%*#!! and I couldn't get to it. Luckily the pump housing is plastic and the tab broke off. That bolt doesn't need to come out anyway.

Once the pump is off, bolt the adapter plate that comes with the kit to the filter housing using two of the allen bolts. Then connect the fuel lines up from the tank to a pump inlet filter, to the pump, then from the pump to the filter housing. The kit contains all the fuel lines and fittings for the install.

Next is the wiring harness. I mounted the pump relay to the firewall behind the master cylinder.

The harness connects to the old pump connector, the new lift pump and to the battery. I routed the harness and the new fuel line along the existing lines on the frame rail and wire-tied them all together.

The pump gets its power directly from the battery through an 30 amp fuse holder. My only gripe with the kit is that the fuse holder is too close to the end of the harness. It would make for a cleaner installation if the fuse holder was incorporated into the relay mount.

The FASS kit comes with good directions, but there were a couple areas where I wasn't sure what to do, this post is meant to clarify that.

One last note - with the pump mounted to the cab floor, there is a bit of noise when you're idling. I plan on adding some Dynomat to the rear anyway so this should take care of it. Beats having the pump get caught on something and yanked off thought.

Please feel free to comment
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good job- shoot some primer and paint on that angle iron! did you use sheet metal screws to mount that angle iron or bolts with nuts? if it was just sheet metal screws, i would watch them. with the weight of the fass pump and the vibration from the pump and truck-make sure they don"t work them selves loose
Old 12-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Did you have any problem with the connectors or at the sending unit??
Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 PM

Nice Job! It's cool that your problem solving skills are up to speed with the whole pump location thing!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by rjm022
good job- shoot some primer and paint on that angle iron! did you use sheet metal screws to mount that angle iron or bolts with nuts? if it was just sheet metal screws, i would watch them. with the weight of the fass pump and the vibration from the pump and truck-make sure they don"t work them selves loose
Used nuts & machine screws, also put some fender washers under the screw heads to spread the load.