3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine Reving when Brake is Applied

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Reving when Brake is Applied

I did not know what to title this so I will just try to explain. I just got back from a trip towing my 5er and there was a long steep grade (about 9 miles) that I had to go up and down. Going up the tranny hit 180 degrees for a short period of time and when I got to the top and shifted it back into drive (auto 48RE trans), it did not want to shift. I let the truck rest and everything went back to normal.

On my way back, I pulled in to dump and when I stopped, the engine started revving and my EGT's started to go up quickly, but the RMS were not moving. I shifted it out to neutral and there was a quick jump in RPMs and then back to a normal idle. I had to shift into neutral any time I stopped because the EGS got high and the truck was pulling forward.

This started yesterday on the way back and is still doing it today without any trailer. and it does it in reverse or drive. When I brake, the truck starts pulling engine sounds like it is revving and the EGT's keep going up. It is a hard shift out into neutral and makes me very nervous.

The program in the Smarty Jr is back to stock and I unhooked the batteries for a couple hours to reset the computer and it still does it. There was no DTC codes before I unhooked the batteries.

Can anyone help or know what this is? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds to me like TC maybe.....
Old 07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I would agree with aborgardt TC is going out. I had several trucks with same problem as that. Replace TC and flush trans fluid. Maybe still under warranty.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:16 PM

I have an '03 6 spd. When I shift or kick it into neutral...my truck stays revved to about 1k rpms. Then every once in a while it's back to normal. I think I might be in the same boat as offroadcpa...
Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I will start to look for a good trany place that has experience with the Dodge trans and have them take a look at it. I live in Moorpark, CA if anyone has any suggestions.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Just for grins and giggles-
Does it rev if you step on the brake in N or P ?

Does it act normally with the trailer unplugged?
I had a customer with a faulty ground on his trailer brake controller, it did not rev up but applied full EGR (gasser truck) when you applied the brakes.(So since the go pedal is electronic it might just be that you get a stray current from the brake pedal or brake controller....)

Just a shot in the dark

AlpineRAM
Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 PM

I does not rev in N or P. When I come to a stop light as I am slowing down, I have to shift it to N to keep it from revving. At a stop with the brake on in N - the truck idles normally. Thanks for the input. I am hoping it is something as simple as a fuse, short or blocked gov pressure sensor or lock up sensor. I go into a trany shop tomorrow for a diognostic.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I looked at a truck that was doing exactly that, a couple weeks ago. Turned out it had a defect in the torque converter that would lower the RPM too much when it was sitting in gear. The ECM would essentially go right to wide open throttle just to try to get that RPM up that extra 100 or so, to where it was programmed to idle in gear. Stepping on the throttle while holding the brake made no difference, because the ECM had already gone to full power.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks torquefan! That sounds exactly what it might be doing. After a few inquiries and luckily running into a guy from a towing service, I have an appointment to take it into a reputable trany shop tomorrow.

With the situation you mentioned, did they have to replace the TC or was it repairable? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Around a year ago we were having a problem with the passenger wire harness being broken. A man named Timbo suggested he fix the wire and then reset the Apps. He told us what to do, and the problem was gone. It had a limp throttle that time. We would be driving and no power to go. The wire harness on the drivers side is broken now because the window won't go down. So I wonder if it's causing the rev up problem, and maybe the apps are bad or need to be reset. What makes you think it's the Apps? When I put it in drive, or reverse it jumps and starts to rev. Should we fix the wire first and try to reset the Apps again? Only things is it's not throwing a code this time, not sure why. Lights dim and get lighter as I switch into drive, park or reverse. What do you think??? Thanks for your help!!!

Shawnie
Old 11-13-2013, 09:30 AM

What was the outcome?

We are experiencing the same problem with our 2005 3500. The symptoms sound identical: whenever we brake, the engine is revving and the truck revs when putting it back into park after driving. Also the truck has lurched forward and has its own forward momentum after putting it in D (without accelerating). It seems like this issue may be new since we towed our car hauler, or may have become worse since towing.

I'd love to hear how this situation turned out for you: cost of fixing, etc.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2014, 03:39 PM

anyone have anything new on this, my new to me 06 just started doing this this weekend. I sure dont want to have to face the cost of a new TC before I get the FN plates puton the **** thing

I sure hope they havent moved my 01 yet but I think Im screwed
Old 12-09-2014, 05:25 PM

well i have an estimate for a new TC installed plus associated solenoids, $1500-1800 (two shops)...... (insert favorite bad word here) I did get the license plate on and the financing in place before the first repair.... I sure wish I had kept the 01
Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 AM

I was driving to work this morning and everything was working just fine, until I came to a stop light. After the light turned green I begun to throttle up and all the sudden the truck felt like it was being held back (lacking power). I turned into the first gas station and as I was coming to a stop the truck was still pushing forward. It felt like the torque converter wouldnt let go. It wasnt reving high or anything, actually the rpms dropped to about 500-600 rpm but it felt like the motor was still in gear. When I released the brake the truck throttled up to about 15mph fairlly quick and then calm down. While in drive and foot on the brake, if I switched into neutral or park then the rpms would jump to about 1500rpm the go back to idle.
I have no idea what that could be but any help would be appreciated
Old 01-09-2015, 11:13 PM

Torque converter failed to release from lockup at stop sign, most likely.

Quick Reply: Engine Reving when Brake is Applied