3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine Knock (with sound clip)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CAdan, the #2 quieted the truck I was working on. Now it sounds like the normal box of rocks idling

Socal, the power balance test is under "systems tests" on the scan tool. I cannot give you a technical explanation on how it works, I just do the test if I feel it's needed and submit the info to DC tech and they make the call. The data is a percentage and most I see are in the high 90s, low 100s. The #2 on the truck I had that was knocking was sitting at 72-74.....not good.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine too.... seems to come and go, mostly comes when colder and in idle.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:31 PM

Sounds exactly like mine too...... ...........i went from a 98 with no muff, so i don't know what the heck it's supposed to sound like
Old 08-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Tob
Muted User

Mine was sounding similar for a while. Put a screwdriver up to the head and could hear it very clearly near the front of the engine. Changed the oil and it seemed to go away. My theory (which is probably totally wrong) is that there may be some sort of oil valve near the front of the engine and it is being restricted when the filter is getting dirty. My oil rotella (since the first change) never seems to get dirty like other diesels but the filter seems to be pitch black every change. I have been changing it between 5 to 6 thousand KM. It is starting to do it again at 4,000 km and am thinking of just changing the filter to see if it fixes it.

Also, mine knocks real bad (same knock as the sound file) when starting off when it is hot and is nearing oil change time. Start in 2nd mostly (6 speed).

Mine also has a ticking that it does ~80% of the time and a bit of cackle depending on the fuel around 1600 rpm and 1800 rpm. I think I'll bring it in for the ticking and see if they find anything. Hopefully I won't get it back with too many scratches like last time I dared bring it in - for the cruise programming recall.

Oh and when I listened with the screwdriver "stethoscope" everything besides the clicking and clunking sounded tight and smooth as silk. Unlike my wife's mini van where you can hear the bearings and soft metal screaming for mercy.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that fresh oil and different types of oil seem to quieten the ticks and such. Currently I'm using a home made blend of 25% Mobil 1 Truck & SUV with Delvac 1300, and I'll probably go to a 33% blend for the winter.

I recently went thru a bit of clatter/knocking just off of idle in the lower gears, and I changed the fuel filter. It happened in the middle of a tank of fuel so it didn't seem like the fuel. The filter had only about 10k miles on it, but I changed early the first time too. The truck seemed to run smoother and a day or two later things seemed to get back to normal. I had been stuck in a lot of stop and go traffic for a few days previous to the clatter/knocking, and in a bit of 'driveway rage' (my spot taken so I gotta repark two vehicles :^) the day before I didn't let it idle as long as I usually do before taking off.

Don't know what caused it, and since it didn't go away right after the fuel filter change I don't know if it helped. Maybe the computer takes a few miles to reset some value or something. Also wonder if either the computer program isn't optimized or if some sensor is a bit whacky, as it seems to have a bit of schizo personality sometime, where after being shut off for a short while it seems to run noticeably different.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:30 PM

Not to beat a dead horse but I am hearing the same noise in mine. If I am reading all this right, it seems to be normal to a point. I know that the sound of a diesel is alot different than a gasser (ahh the sound of power). Mine is not as loud as the sound clip but it is definitley there, and only does it once you put into drive (or any other gear).

Just a little curious because the truck only has about 1700 mike on the odo at the moment.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:01 PM

diesels knock. period
Old 08-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by cfm3110
diesels knock. period
I agree. So the knocking sound in that audio clip is normal, but he happened to have an injecter that was bad.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by cfm3110
diesels knock. period
Diesels do knock, however, if you heard this thing knocking away while standing next to the truck, you wouldn't say it was a "normal" diesel knock.

I got my #2 injector replaced yesterday. Picked it up last night and it sounds like it used to. Not only is the knocking gone, but the excessive detonation type knocking it used to make during initial acceleration is gone now too.

I have uploaded a new sound file. As in the first sound file, the first few seconds are idling in Park. You can hear the engine load up as it is shifted into drive. The muffled clunking noises just prior to shifting into Drive are me banging the recorder against the side of the truck as I was shifting.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res1h7d2/

Dan
Old 08-13-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear Dan, the one I replaced is working fine too. SoCal, I pm'ed you about the balance test not being available on the 03 trucks. For some reason my pm says it's full even though I've deleted all the messages.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:11 AM

J BODY,

Yeah, that was me that PM-ed back. I appreciated the info. I again comment I'm surprised that the 03 and 04 trucks are different in regards to the power balance test.

I let the issue slide at the dealer as their was nothing more I could really do. They said it was normal, and I don't have any other problems besides one cylinder being louder than the rest.

This was visit #2 about it so I think I've documented everything just in case something does go awry down the road.....
Old 08-14-2004, 11:42 AM

So if my truck sounds like the first clip i may have an injector problem?