3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine Knock (with sound clip)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds normal. When the 'knocking' noise appears it sounds as though you put the tranny in 'D'. My 555 HO as well as my buddies does the exact same thing.

William
Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 PM

I cant hear anything wrong with it, I think mine sounds pretty much that way too. Of course my wife says I cant hear anything anyway!
Old 08-04-2004, 05:28 PM

Just got a call from the service adviser. The mechanic and service manager took the truck for a ride and acknowledged there is definitely something wrong. They are working with engineering to diagnose the problem.

Dan
Old 08-04-2004, 06:12 PM

Mine don't sound anything like that - normal my hinny. Better log it with the dealer and good luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like my old 98 24 valve. The tick I have is not near that metalic sounding. I got mine back at noon and they said they checked everything from the valve lash to injector hold downs and did a power drop test. They could not find anything. I asked what the loud tick is and they said they had no idea. They where not shure if it was normal or not. They dident have one on hand with any miles on to compare to. I guess Ill drive it and hope it either goes away or something breaks and it becomes obviouse what the problem is.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:35 PM

I get this noise as well on occasion and have heard several of the new ones that sound identical...is it normal? Can't answer that question but I believe that certain stations may have inferior fuels which might promote the knockin/cackling more so than high volume quailty fuel stations.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:44 PM
ed

I just got mine out of the shop today. They replaced # 5 & 6 injectors and reflashed the ecm and it was very quiet for about 10 miles and now it has one making noise again. I don't think it hurts to drive it like this, but will take it back in a week or so.
Mine sounded just like the sound clip.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just worked on an 04 today that had an obvious knock when in gear. Customer had no complaint, but I checked on it anyways. Found by canceling #2 injector noise changed, the rest it didn't. Performed a power balance test and #2 injector was way behind the rest. I'm faxing DC tonight and will see what they say about the info I send them. I'm presently installing 3 injectors in an 04.5 right now and a lift pump, but thats for a different prob all together.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by J BODY
I just worked on an 04 today that had an obvious knock when in gear. Customer had no complaint, but I checked on it anyways. Found by canceling #2 injector noise changed, the rest it didn't. Performed a power balance test and #2 injector was way behind the rest. I'm faxing DC tonight and will see what they say about the info I send them. I'm presently installing 3 injectors in an 04.5 right now and a lift pump, but thats for a different prob all together.
I take it you're a technician for Dodge? Are all the tests you performed those that were dictated by Dodge? I didn't get the feeling the dealer working on my truck knew where to start.

Dan
Old 08-05-2004, 07:35 AM

I've had problems with injectors as well.
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=47649

I drove around for 3,000 miles after I took it into the dealer. They wouldn't warranty mine. The injector was on back-order and than the diesel tech wasn't available for over a week, so it is just now getting serviced. I tried using a fuel additive for the first time a couple of weeks ago, but that didn't help. Good luck and let us know what happens with your truck.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:51 PM

Dealer just called and said #2 injector is bad. Part is on order and should be here in 5 days.

Dan
Old 08-05-2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by CADan
Dealer just called and said #2 injector is bad. Part is on order and should be here in 5 days.

Dan
I ordered the one for the 04HO I'm working on this morning and am going to have it tommorow am from the LA depot. Maybe I got the last one.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by J BODY
I ordered the one for the 04HO I'm working on this morning and am going to have it tommorow am from the LA depot. Maybe I got the last one.
I think you did if it is going to take 5 days for mine to arrive. Did the truck you're working on sound like the sound clip I attached?

Dan
Old 08-06-2004, 07:59 AM

Ok I finally bit and listened to the clip. I'm on dialup so I usually avoid those things but it worked fine. I wish I could get a clip of the one I'm putting the injector in today. It is far worse than what yours sounds like. It would still be interesting to see what yours looks like on the scan tool.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:22 AM

J BODY,

When you perform a "power balance test", what does the read-out on your diagnostic tool say? Another way to ask the same question is in your above post, you mentioned that an injector is "way behind the rest". Is it based on a percentage measure or ?

I have my truck in the shop currently with the injector noise problem and I want them to show me they actually did the test.

Thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: Engine Knock (with sound clip)