3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Engine had a near brush with death today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Engine had a near brush with death today...

Afternoon, DTR. Check this out.

As soon as I got to AZ, I noticed that my W/M pump was leaking from the bottom seal (had to madhat repair it before, I guess it did not hold). Anyhow, I drained the water out of it, and let it be. This weekend, I finally got around to fixing it, and filled her up last night. This morning, I noticed a little drip coming from the tank in the tool box. (will it ever stop?!?!) No sweat, just drained the tank, add it to the list of things to do. BTW, I have a custom 5 gallon tank.

I am backed into the driveway, truck is parked slightly down hill.

Sooo... I crank the truck up this afternoon, it's running REALLY rough. The OL was standing behind the truck when I did, she starts yelling for me to shut it down. I killed it, walked around the the back of the truck, there is a huge cone shaped soot and water stain for about 10 feet (right into the side if the stucco, too...) A LOT of water. I let the truck roll out into the street in N, fired her up again, white smoke, rough, water coming out still. Even had some water dripping from my manifold to turbo joint. (note to self: re-torque bolts) (I have not seen any soot around that before)

So, I figure that somehow, the water tank siphoned into the intake horn, into the cylinders. Lucky for me I did not get hydro lock. Or, maybe better, maybe worse, the water ran down the intake horn into the I/C, and got blown through there. Probably not, as rough as it started, I doubt there would be enough vacuume to pull all that water at once. But, what do I know?

Ran the truck for a few minutes with the high idle on, it cleared up, and I drove it to work, seems fine. Smooth idle, no vibration, no white smoke.

I assume I'm good, however, should I worry about anything long term? I checked the oil, no reason for it to get past the rings and into the crank case, (oil looked good). No abnormal sounds (no bent rods, no shattered valves). Power and boost seems good, normal black smoke output (no damaged injectors)

I think I really dodged (no pun intended) the bullet here. I'm gonna pull the intake horn and see if there is any rust or anything. Do I need to worry about the turbo? It just got into the exhaust housing under no load, heck, less than idle as rough as it was running. I would think that as big as an exhaust housing I have, there would have been enough room for that water to pass in there without getting pressurized and tearing any seals/fins.

What have you?

TIA.

mad
Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds very scary, but I don't know if it would cause any lasting damage or not. Good luck and hopefully some of the smarter fellers can give better support.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

No crap I was scared!!! After I realized what had happened, all I could think of was a total rebuild that I can't afford right now..
Old 04-21-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check the oil. You could have washed down a cylinder. Sounds as if it wasn't sluggish on startup. Hopefully you didn't bend a rod. With these rods if that happens they can snap like a twigg...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Yeah... Like I said, I ran it for about 5 minutes after it smoothed out, checked the oil, and it ran fine to work. Gonna find out in a minute if it's good, bout to drive it back home.

Heck, it's only about 8k for a remanned long block...
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM

"only 8K" lol

That sounds pretty scary man! I would probably change the oil and filter just for piece of mind. Not sure what else it could do, but just keeps your ears open. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sraibikis
I would probably change the oil and filter just for piece of mind. Not sure what else it could do, but just keeps your ears open. Good luck!
x2 on the oil and filter

Good catch hope it continues to run fine for you.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Afternoon, DTR. Check this out.

As soon as I got to AZ, I noticed that my W/M pump was leaking from the bottom seal (had to madhat repair it before, I guess it did not hold). Anyhow, I drained the water out of it, and let it be. This weekend, I finally got around to fixing it, and filled her up last night. This morning, I noticed a little drip coming from the tank in the tool box. (will it ever stop?!?!) No sweat, just drained the tank, add it to the list of things to do. BTW, I have a custom 5 gallon tank.

I am backed into the driveway, truck is parked slightly down hill.

Sooo... I crank the truck up this afternoon, it's running REALLY rough. The OL was standing behind the truck when I did, she starts yelling for me to shut it down. I killed it, walked around the the back of the truck, there is a huge cone shaped soot and water stain for about 10 feet (right into the side if the stucco, too...) A LOT of water. I let the truck roll out into the street in N, fired her up again, white smoke, rough, water coming out still. Even had some water dripping from my manifold to turbo joint. (note to self: re-torque bolts) (I have not seen any soot around that before)

So, I figure that somehow, the water tank siphoned into the intake horn, into the cylinders. Lucky for me I did not get hydro lock. Or, maybe better, maybe worse, the water ran down the intake horn into the I/C, and got blown through there. Probably not, as rough as it started, I doubt there would be enough vacuume to pull all that water at once. But, what do I know?

Ran the truck for a few minutes with the high idle on, it cleared up, and I drove it to work, seems fine. Smooth idle, no vibration, no white smoke.

I assume I'm good, however, should I worry about anything long term? I checked the oil, no reason for it to get past the rings and into the crank case, (oil looked good). No abnormal sounds (no bent rods, no shattered valves). Power and boost seems good, normal black smoke output (no damaged injectors)

I think I really dodged (no pun intended) the bullet here. I'm gonna pull the intake horn and see if there is any rust or anything. Do I need to worry about the turbo? It just got into the exhaust housing under no load, heck, less than idle as rough as it was running. I would think that as big as an exhaust housing I have, there would have been enough room for that water to pass in there without getting pressurized and tearing any seals/fins.

What have you?

TIA.

mad
Unfortunately I have done that probably 5 times now! Think I would learn... Same scenario backed in the driveway nose downhill.

Haven't ran the W/M in a while now, not really sure what I would do to prevent it other than park nose up or level!

Tank just needs to be lower than the injection location... Thinking of moving my tank under bed or something
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

I always do an oil analysis and never had any water show up or bad wear, so don't be too skered, all is probably ok...

May pop a lower intercooler boot to make sure water didn't pool in there
Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey - - help me out here. What is wrong with backing in the drive nose down? I do it all the time. HELP.

ScaredBob
Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Bob,
I have a 5 gallon water meth setup that I usually keep water in. I assume that with me parking nose down, that the system siphoned out into my intake horn.

As far as the tank being lower than the pump, that's not right. I just think that the tank has to be lower than the intake horn. I was under the assumption that the tank needed to be higher than the pump in order for it to be gravity fed somewhat.

As far as keeping this from happening again, I was thinking about putting a valve inline.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Ah ah - - you smokers - - don't know about ya'll.

I'm still stock so guess I will keep backing in. Neighbors don't get so excited when the duallies don't pop em in the eyeballs when they drive by.

Bob
Old 04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need to prevent this in the future is a 5 psi lift check valve. A hand valve or a boost switched solenoid valve will also work but the check valve is all you need.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Or just park in my normal parking spot...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madhat
Or just park in my normal parking spot...
You can't always control how/where you park and even when you can you may forget when you back in to off load the replacement keg, you may not remember to re-park the truck. Just saying.

Quick Reply: Engine had a near brush with death today...