3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Electric 4X4 issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric 4X4 issues...

Guys I have been dealing with this mess for about 4 years now but it seems to have gotten worse... The time I am about to commit to fixing the issue, the weather turns nice and I don't need 4wd for another 7months so I let it slip..

I'm having issues with the electric transfer case shifting.. I had the truck in the shop when it was under warrenty but it seems like it keeps popping it's ugly head up again and again (and now more often)... I am also sure it's an electrical gremblin, but I'm not sure where to look... and the only thing that seems "somewhat repeatable" is that the problem goes away after the truck is warmed up and driven about 15 miles...

This started on it's own over 4 years ago, the "service 4wd" light on the dash would ramdomly come on for no reason but then go back off after maybe stopping and restarting the truck... The light would make the transfer case default to what ever mode it was in. I was able to get around the issue at the beginning by putting the selector in the mode I wanted and then cycle the key of and restart. That worked for a year or so until it wouldn't allow that anymore. The truck has been to the dealer about 4 times for this issue, the code it throws says its the control module, but that thing has been replaced 2 times and it didn't fix it, the selector motor has been swapped, and the dash switch has been replaced... It seems like replacing any of the parts makes the problem go away for a short time but then it comes back... Now it's pretty much a 2wd truck unless I get luck and it functions again for a moment...

Sometimes the light on the dash just comes on, but the selector indicator stays lit. Other times the light on the dash comes on but the selector lights are also out... There is no method to the madness, it's all ramdom, but it seems like the best luck I have is after I drive the truck about 10-15 miles and switch the indicator over and cycle the key (but thats getting less common also)...

I have searched across the web on this issue and it does not seem like a common problem so I think I might have a pinched wire... Someone suggested that the X-case is also tied into the engine computer and that the computer might be bad, but if thats the case then I'll just pull the case and go with a manual unit before I put the $$$ into a engine computer...

PLEASE don't waste your time posting "thats why I bought a manual unit" these electrical units have been around for a long time, in a ton of trucks, and are pretty reliable... I just got a goofy one that I can't seem to chase the issue down...

Truck in question is in my sig..

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the major components have been replaced more than once, so that's not the issue. Start checking the wiring harness and look for bad connectors or loose wires.

But I would take a very close look at any ground wires. Bad grounds have caused more electrical gremlins than anything else. You might even run some extra grounds from the components to any convenient spot.